BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #260 on: 14 Sep 2012, 11:25 pm »
Got some good news from my dealer, i should be receiving my BHA1 on Monday. That was a long years wait.  :thumb:

Mark

Hi Mark,

Great news! - please let me know your thoughts once it is all working.

james

Marius

« Reply #261 on: 15 Sep 2012, 09:01 am »
Hi James,

In deciding my recent BHA1 order/purchase I completely forgot the BDA1 only has 1 set of XLR outs.  :duh: Talked about passthroughs on the BHA1, but never realized this before. Since I want the BDA1 to play over both machines obviously, and don't want to plug/unplug cables all the time, please let me ask this:

-      Is there a way to connect the BDA1 to the Balanced BHA1 inputs and to the balanced BP26 simultaneously, without compromising the specifications at all? Would a Balanced-Y cable still deliver the voltage swing you always mention, to both machines? Maybe the new balanced outs on the back can be made to passthrough the balanced in?

-      If not, what would you advise to be the best choice: BDA1/BP26 balanced and BDA1/BHA1 over the RCA or vice versa. Which machine would use/need the balanced connection most?

-      Would there be any difference between the BHA1 connection on the Rca tape out (with all other BP26 sources, including a balanced connected BDA1) or a direct BDA1/BHA1 Rca connection (which is the only one left if I take the BDA1 balanced out to the BP26)?

Thanks,
Marius
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2012, 10:51 am by Marius »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #262 on: 15 Sep 2012, 10:48 am »
Hi Marius - yes you could use a Balanced Y cable out of the BDA without compromising performance. 

The rear Balanced out on the BHA-1 is in parallel with the front connectors so you could use it that way but both go through the volume control of the BHA-1.

james

Marius

« Reply #263 on: 15 Sep 2012, 11:33 am »
Hi James thank you .

So no way of 'paralleling' it with the balanced In's instead ?
Marius

Hi Marius - yes you could use a Balanced Y cable out of the BDA without compromising performance. 

The rear Balanced out on the BHA-1 is in parallel with the front connectors so you could use it that way but both go through the volume control of the BHA-1.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #264 on: 15 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm »
Hi James thank you .

So no way of 'paralleling' it with the balanced In's instead ?
Marius

Have not tried it but I will.

james

Marius

« Reply #265 on: 15 Sep 2012, 01:03 pm »
 :thumb:

james

mkaiser

« Reply #266 on: 15 Sep 2012, 06:39 pm »
Hi Mark,

Great news! - please let me know your thoughts once it is all working.

james

I will sure do that, looking forward to it.

Mark

zeiter

« Reply #267 on: 15 Sep 2012, 10:51 pm »

james
James, would the same apply ( no performance compromise ) if I was to use a balanced Y connector to the inputs of the BHA-1, to  connect my BDA-1 & BCD-1 ? Thanks

brucek

« Reply #268 on: 16 Sep 2012, 01:17 am »
James, would the same apply ( no performance compromise ) if I was to use a balanced Y connector to the inputs of the BHA-1, to  connect my BDA-1 & BCD-1 ? Thanks

No, the same would not apply. What you are proposing results in shorting the outputs of the BDA and BCD together - a no-no. You may split the output of a line level device, but you cannot short two outputs together.

bruce

zeiter

« Reply #269 on: 16 Sep 2012, 02:01 am »
No, the same would not apply. What you are proposing results in shorting the outputs of the BDA and BCD together - a no-no. You may split the output of a line level device, but you cannot short two outputs together.

bruce
Bruce, even if using one unit at a time ? Still a no-no ?

brucek

« Reply #270 on: 16 Sep 2012, 02:55 am »
Bruce, even if using one unit at a time ? Still a no-no ?
Still a no-no. Matters not that one of the units is powered off since the output transistors will still be connected (shorted) together. You would need a switcher to connect one at a time, or plug and unplug one at a time.

brucek

zeiter

« Reply #271 on: 16 Sep 2012, 02:58 am »
Still a no-no. Matters not that one of the units is powered off since the output transistors will still be connected (shorted) together. You would need a switcher to connect one at a time, or plug and unplug one at a time.

brucek

OK, thanks.

Marius

« Reply #272 on: 16 Sep 2012, 09:44 am »
HI James,

Just to be sure, cause I get some feedback about losing several Db with a Y cable? Don't exactly understand , but they seem to indicate if you split a line level output into two, both get less than when not-split.

Would that be 1) true, and 2) a problem?
Can I order a Y-cable at Bryston, to be sure its up to your standard?

Marius

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #273 on: 16 Sep 2012, 10:47 am »
HI James,

Just to be sure, cause I get some feedback about losing several Db with a Y cable? Don't exactly understand , but they seem to indicate if you split a line level output into two, both get less than when not-split.

Would that be 1) true, and 2) a problem?
Can I order a Y-cable at Bryston, to be sure its up to your standard?

Marius

Yes it is true but the all Bryston preamp sections are capable of driving multiple inputs with enough voltage.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #274 on: 16 Sep 2012, 10:48 am »

brucek

Asked engineering and Bruce is correct - thanks Bruce.

james

Marius

« Reply #275 on: 16 Sep 2012, 10:53 am »
Great, please let us know when you have, since my order is already on it's way to Canada...

Marius

james

Marius

« Reply #276 on: 17 Sep 2012, 08:18 am »
These would be good cables to split the BDA1 out into the BHA1 and the BP26? Im not sure that all three pins are wired in the Y cable, but I guess it should be, for it to be a full balanced cable?

Hosa http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/691064-REG/Hosa_Technology_YXM_101_5_YXM_101_5_XLR_Female_to.html or

Canare: http://store.haveinc.com/p-47684-haveflex-starquad-y-xlrf-2xlrm-6.aspx

Marius

bruce

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #277 on: 17 Sep 2012, 11:59 am »
Hi Folks,

News from the Front on the Bryston BHA-1 headphone Amp:

MLee

I've had my BHA-1 Headphone amp a couple weeks now. First off I'll say this amp is way more than I need. I figured that it will be a nice amp to have no matter what headphones I try now and in the future.

My two current headphones are the Ultrasone Edition 8 and the Audio Technica W3000anv. Both are easy to drive but show improvement with amplification, and the Bryston made both sound exceptional. I'm not a reviewer nor an advanced audiophile, but the difference in the Bryston versus the Burson 160 or the Objective 2 is somewhere between definite and substantial.

The detail and the "Fullness", for lack of a better term, of the sound is exceptional. Crisp with impact. While the other amps pair well with these two headphones the Bryston is just a step up, no doubt about it. I'm sure others that have harder to drive phones are going to find the Bryston worth every penny. Yeah, it's more than some/most of us spend on an amp in this hobby, but if you have the ability to get it you won't be disappointed.

BlackstoneJD

This BHA-1 is such a bad mutha!

I would honestly just get one if you can and then spend the rest of your head-fi dom playing around with Dacs, cables and phones. I hooked it up to the old DCS stack tonight and god damn it was good. I simply cannot imagine a better amplifier. All of the sonic signature of that system came right through, super black between the notes and dead quiet, superb soundstage and imaging, and detail and nuance to die for without a hint of fatigue. The material was 44.1khz and 96khz up-sampled to DSD via the DCS up-sampler.

I am simply done with headphone amps for now. Now it is on to better software, power conditioning, and little tinfoil hat tweaks. I have never enjoyed my music more. Even my dad (dCS owner) was impressed.

It isn't just an amp, this must be state of the art right now for solid state.

Now that it is broke in, I just love how right when those loud congested passages come in where you think you are going to get an earful of shreaking pain, the BHA-1 (and PS1000s) sort it all out into a million tiny little waves tickling your ear drums.

Yes, I love this system

brucek

« Reply #278 on: 17 Sep 2012, 02:12 pm »
These would be good cables to split the BDA1 out into the BHA1 and the BP26? Im not sure that all three pins are wired in the Y cable, but I guess it should be, for it to be a full balanced cable?

Hosa http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/691064-REG/Hosa_Technology_YXM_101_5_YXM_101_5_XLR_Female_to.html or

Canare: http://store.haveinc.com/p-47684-haveflex-starquad-y-xlrf-2xlrm-6.aspx

Marius

Yes, those would do the job fine. Hosa is known for budget cables, with the other cable being the better of the two choices you show.

brucek

Marius

« Reply #279 on: 17 Sep 2012, 02:26 pm »
HI Brucek,

Thanks, I've asked Bryston whether they'd make me a cable too, hope they will, thus keeping it all in the family, and, more importantly, up to Bryston standards.
Since we're talking special order cables, would you think a longer Balanced Y cable, connected directly to the BHA1 and BP26  instead of through these short ones, with an extra connection, is preferable?

Marius

Yes, those would do the job fine. Hosa is known for budget cables, with the other cable being the better of the two choices you show.

brucek