Solid state amp options

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Solid state amp options
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jul 2020, 01:11 am »
Aegir is probably a non go as well. A rep from Schiit looked at the specs of my Omega' sand he was afraid that the 6ohm rating might send the Aegir into protection mode. And "Might" was stressed.

:scratch:

roscoe65

« Reply #61 on: 21 Jul 2020, 01:35 am »
What are some more SS options for the Omega's?

Decware is a no go for Tubes because  Steve told me they have a 3-4 month wait! Holy Guacamole!
Aegir is probably a non go as well. A rep from Schiit looked at the specs of my Omega' sand he was afraid that the 6ohm rating might send the Aegir into protection mode. And "Might" was stressed. Not for sure but might. He was just giving me a heads up. So that's probably not going to work because I do like volume. And I know this seems silly bu I am looking for a compact amp like the Aegir or SE84 UFO.

The Dennis Had Firebottle SEP amps are compact, sitting on an 8” x 10” chassis.  Power runs 5-12 wpc.  It does need a bit of gain for full power.  They come up secondhand from time to time but run about $1,300 from Dennis via EBay.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #62 on: 21 Jul 2020, 01:50 am »
The Dennis Had Firebottle SEP amps are compact, sitting on an 8” x 10” chassis.  Power runs 5-12 wpc.  It does need a bit of gain for full power.  They come up secondhand from time to time but run about $1,300 from Dennis via EBay.

$1700?

He also has a 45 SE ad now for 2k

roscoe65

« Reply #63 on: 21 Jul 2020, 02:03 am »
$1700?

He also has a 45 SE ad now for 2k

Not to take food off anyone’s table, but Oliver Sayes would build you a 45 SE of your desired topology for half that.  I own two Inspire amps and two Oliver Sayes amps.  The Sayes amps are easier to work with under the hood.  The Inspire amps are new and use current production MUSA iron.

RDavidson

« Reply #64 on: 21 Jul 2020, 03:05 am »
What are some more SS options for the Omega's?

Decware is a no go for Tubes because  Steve told me they have a 3-4 month wait! Holy Guacamole!
Aegir is probably a non go as well. A rep from Schiit looked at the specs of my Omega' sand he was afraid that the 6ohm rating might send the Aegir into protection mode. And "Might" was stressed. Not for sure but might. He was just giving me a heads up. So that's probably not going to work because I do like volume. And I know this seems silly bu I am looking for a compact amp like the Aegir or SE84 UFO.

Pass and First Watt have been mentioned many times. You could also go with the DiY Pass ACA amp, which is a huge bargain (you can even build them as monoblocks). Many have mentioned that class D amps can also work quite well. I would generally stay away from class A/B unless they output their first couple of watts in class A. Parasound comes to mind. I believe Modwright amps are also in this category. There are tons of options, but without a budget it would take too long to list them all. Note, I think the rep at Schiit is pulling your leg, man. There's no way the Aegir would have an issue driving Omegas. :lol:

RDavidson

« Reply #66 on: 21 Jul 2020, 04:08 pm »
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649637279-single-ended-45-triode-amplifier-se-dht/

Agree, tube amps (particularly single ended designs) work nicely with Omegas. This is pretty well known at this point. That's a nice tube amp example in the link, but the subject line is "Solid state amp options" guys. To keep this thread on topic, please start a new thread on tube amps or resurrect one of the many previous tube amp threads if you cannot suggest or ideally recommend (based on personal experience) a solid state amp or two.

roscoe65

« Reply #67 on: 21 Jul 2020, 07:26 pm »
Agree, tube amps (particularly single ended designs) work nicely with Omegas. This is pretty well known at this point. That's a nice tube amp example in the link, but the subject line is "Solid state amp options" guys. To keep this thread on topic, please start a new thread on tube amps or resurrect one of the many previous tube amp threads if you cannot suggest or ideally recommend (based on personal experience) a solid state amp or two.

I would agree that the Amp Camp Amp (ACA) is a good match for Omega speakers.  However, if you are using HO (dual driver) model speakers I would recommend running it at 19.2v instead of 24v.  Power goes down from 8 to 5 wpc, but power stays consistent from 4 to 8 ohms.  Using the 24v PS will give you an extra 3dB bass boost which I found made my Super 3 HO speakers sound boomy and muddy.