really good automatic wire stripper

drphoto

really good automatic wire stripper
« on: 3 Mar 2024, 04:50 pm »
Ok....I'm new to the DIY thing, so you old pros probably know about this. I wanted an automatic wire stripper. I'm doing the GR crossover for LRS and need to assemble a set of their speaker cables.(lotta wire to strip) I got frustrated w/ the simple manual wire stripper as it either didn't cut through the insulation, or would nick the wire. I order an auto one from parts express. Complete junk and waste of money. Just didn't work. So did a bit of research and ordered a Klein 11063W. Works perfectly. Well worth the $30.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: really good automatic wire stripper
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2024, 05:19 pm »
That’s what I use.  Excellent.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2024, 05:27 pm »
Haven't tried the Klein. Don't recall the brand of my automatic strippers off hand.

Due to the small size of the individual conductors in the speaker wire, my automatic strippers did a poor job. Sometimes not stripping ant all and other times cutting some of the strands. A pair of manual strippers for the small gauge wire worked better but still had some issues. Plus they were very tedious to use.

What I have found to work best is a PATCO thermal wire stripper  https://patcoinc.net/  . They offer fixed and variable temperature strippers depending on your need. The low temp units heat up to 450 degrees F while the high temp units heat to 1,500 deg F. The low temp units should work on the speaker cables. I haven't tried them though because I have a high temp unit.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2024, 05:38 pm »
Got a pair of 11063W as well when I made a pair of GR speaker cable kits. Works perfectly.

Craig Young

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2024, 09:46 pm »
Although I have 2 each Klein type, a sharp one for plastic and a dull one for Teflon, I ran down to Lowes and got the Irwin vise grip stripper for use on my GR Research wires and I really like how they worked through those projects.

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2024, 01:40 pm »
What I have found to work best is a PATCO thermal wire stripper
My grandfather used this thermal stripper to deftly strip a wire and light his pipe in one fluid motion.  I was pretty good at the pipe but never did master stripping.

https://www.zippo.com/products/classic-brushed-chrome

drphoto

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2024, 05:41 am »
I did a test on stripping the GR speaker cable. Works great.

Tom899

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2024, 01:13 pm »
The Klein wire strippers work great!