OB H frames Subs with built in amp

sameguy

OB H frames Subs with built in amp
« on: 14 Feb 2024, 01:16 am »
I have read in a few threads that some have built the amps into the H frame but I haven't seen any.  Looking for pictures or drawings or links. I know the usual route is to place the amp close behind the H frame but I would like to have them built it in. Thank you in advance.

kaplanent

Re: OB H frames Subs with built in amp
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2024, 01:42 pm »
Hi Sameguy,

I agree with doing this. It's cleaner and shortens the wiring.
I also make them completely modular with a spacer/reveal plate that has pass-through spring clips.
Here are a few pictures of what I have behind the Enlighter 4K AT screen.

I can share more info if needed. The design is quite overwhelming.
It took me 3 years to design and build the B&G di-pole line arrays.
I just finished the prototypes a couple of weeks ago.
Butcher block wood and 3D printed all the pieces, which will eventually be anodized aluminum.
Those too are modular but with blind-mate connectors.
Right now I'm bi-amping. Still have to design a passive crossover.
The sound for 2 channel music is stunning. Better than I could have ever imagined.

Regards,

Alan

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2024, 06:13 pm »
We first saw the use of this bass solution in Danny’s V1 then shortly after the SuperV.  A gentleman by the name of Dave (Tasar on AC) built his amps into the bottom of his SuperVs in a drawer of sorts as I recall.  This link should take you to his gallery showing the SuperVs:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=5192

I built the amps into the ends of my stereo rack, this worked out well and is still in use today:

Best,
Ed

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2024, 07:33 pm »
Not at all built-in but perhaps an alternative.

Details in this old thread:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.140

sameguy

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2024, 04:56 am »
Thank you all for your replies, just what I was looking for.  Didn't think about placing the amp horizontally, good stuff.

ketchup

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2024, 03:50 pm »
Someone here did install the amps in the bottom of a pair of triples, I believe.  Search and you might find it.

ketchup

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2024, 03:56 pm »
Someone here did install the amps in the bottom of a pair of triples, I believe.  Search and you might find it.

Here it is:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=178148.msg1874195#msg1874195

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2024, 04:07 pm »
That is super clean.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2024, 04:31 pm »
Here it is:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=178148.msg1874195#msg1874195

That's one of my builds. I'll post more pictures of those, including the back were the amps are this evening.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2024, 08:14 pm »
It turns out I didn't take any pictures of the back of that pair. Here are front and back pics of another pair.

Be aware that building the amp into the H-Frames like this results in sides that are 60" long. This proved to be a real problem getting 4 identical length sides since my tablesaw only has a 52" rip fence and my miter saw couldn't cut wide enough.  This can result in extra work if everything doesn't line up right. Oh, and cut any dados a little loose. Once you put glue on and the parts swell, maneuvering these heavy pieces into position can be a real pain if things get too tight.

sameguy

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2024, 01:00 am »
Thank you for the info, these look amazing.  This is the direction I am looking to go.  Now just trying to decide of doubles will be too much of a compromise or to just go straight to triples.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2024, 01:33 am »
Thank you for the info, these look amazing.  This is the direction I am looking to go.  Now just trying to decide of doubles will be too much of a compromise or to just go straight to triples.

Just go for the triples. Cost is only 2 more drivers and a little extra on the cabinets. It's a lot easier to build the triple up front than to try and match a third cube down the road unless you buy enough extra veneer up front. If you are painting it's not that big a deal but trying to match veneer at a later date can be difficult.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2024, 02:12 am »
Another possibility is doing modular 1x12 OB subs and add a module with the amp.  Same height as the all in one, but can be moved more easily if needed as the modules can separate.

The standard sub module that captainhemo(Jay) makes can probably be turned into an amp module with the servo amp installed on the back.  Then the amp could be the top or bottom module depending on what works in your room and seating. 

Just a thought.

sameguy

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2024, 04:51 am »
Very interesting idea, never thought of having the amp on top.

KTS

« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2024, 12:20 pm »
Hi Sameguy,

I agree with doing this. It's cleaner and shortens the wiring.
I also make them completely modular with a spacer/reveal plate that has pass-through spring clips.
Here are a few pictures of what I have behind the Enlighter 4K AT screen.

This is why I love the hobby, every time I feel like I am getting close to audio Nirvana I see a system like this and realize the journey has just begun!

Kelly,

I can share more info if needed. The design is quite overwhelming.
It took me 3 years to design and build the B&G di-pole line arrays.
I just finished the prototypes a couple of weeks ago.
Butcher block wood and 3D printed all the pieces, which will eventually be anodized aluminum.
Those too are modular but with blind-mate connectors.
Right now I'm bi-amping. Still have to design a passive crossover.
The sound for 2 channel music is stunning. Better than I could have ever imagined.

Regards,

Alan

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2024, 12:52 pm »
captainhemo already makes flat packs for the 1x12 H-Frame servo sub modules.  Those are available to purchase and build or he can build them.  I have 12-1x12 flatpacks to build now.

I was referring to the 1x12 module for the servo amp, so it would have the same look. 

You could always put the built servo amp cabinet flat pack already available on top as well if you do not need the height.

kaplanent

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2024, 02:57 pm »
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your kind words.
This didn't happen overnight.
I started to gut the basement and garage in 2012 to put in central AC.
I did all the work except taping and spackling. My least favorite activity.
Had a working theater in about 5 years. Been updating ever since. Baby steps.
I designed the front ceiling Atmos speakers, but I still have to do the rear ceiling.
As I upgrade the front speakers, I demote the old ones to the sides or rear.
I also have 2 15" subs in the riser. 2 Sonotube 15's in the rear corners, my first endeavor into building subs. All are sealed with low Q alignment.
Nothing is fancy or themed, as I was trying to minimize the compromises. Nothing can ever be perfect.
I forgot to mention that the screen is 2.35:1, 125" wide.
I use manual grille cloth side masking curtains on a ceiling track with magnets to position that can mask down to 4:3.

I thought about putting the servo amps on top, as the cubes are all identical, but I wanted to keep the woofer stack central between floor and ceiling.
I would love to add another sub cube on top of each, but from what I understand, you can only parallel three 16ohm subs from the servo amp.
Can anyone confirm that the servo amp cannot drive 4ohms?

Here are additional pictures that will put it better perspective:
Anybody in the Ridgefield, CT area that would like a demo, please PM me.

Regards,

Alan