RM30's arrive . . . well some of them

ctviggen

« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2004, 01:34 pm »
I have a RPTV and matching stand, so I've put the center channel (Linn currently, will be LRC soon) centered in the space occupied by the RPTV and its stand.  What this means is that the center channel isn't centered above the RPTV.  (For panning, this is necessary, unless I was to move one of the R/L speakers out.)  I can say that I've honestly never noticed that the speaker was not centered.  However, the Linn center channel is a D'Appolito configuration, so maybe the tweeter in the middle helps.  Nonetheless, I may also be heading toward getting the RM30C, so I'm interested to hear what you have to say (although I'm thinking that I'm going to like the LRC so much that I might not get the upgrade bug -- but who knows?).

Marbles

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2004, 02:01 pm »
What would your front L/R speakers be?

The reason I ask is that the 626 did not match up well as a center channel to my RM40's.  The reason was the apparent difference between the output of the 4 midrange panels of the 40's to the one midrange of the 626.

The LRC has the same limitation.

If you have 626's, RM1's or RM2's as your front speakers, it would work out very well I would think.

Cone/dome speakers have very little problem with localization in my experience as a center channel.  I suspect  it is the laser type imaging of the VMPS that makes them a bit suseptable (sp?) to this problem.

With regard to the RM30's, if I had seen the rm40's and Rm30's side by side I probably would have bought the 30's.  They are Much more room friendly in their looks and size.

I haven't had an apparent problem with the non symetrical layout of the 30 being used as a center channel.  It just hasn't been an issue.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2004, 02:50 pm »
So with my impending RM/X's it sounds like I should not even consider an LRC or a 626r for the center, but instead go with the RM30C, configured the way you have it?  I have a larger room than yours, and sit back further.  I would think that the asymetrical issue would be even less than you are experiencing, which is little or none.  The dual 626r set up is probably my only other option, but tends to scare me off due to risk of smearing, etc brought on by having two speakers in tandem.  Ahh, if only I had real problems...  :)

Ted_B

Marbles

« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2004, 03:01 pm »
Ted, I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the RM/X's, but based on my experience with the RM40's, I really don't think you would be happy with a center channel that had fewer midrange panels than the RM30C.

I am very happy with the configuration I have (with regards to the RM30C (horizontal) and highly recommend it for a speaker that would lay (lie?) on an RPTV.

The RM30's 3 midrange panels match up well with the 4 of the 40's.  How they would match up with the 6 of the RM/X's I wouldn't know.

I would ask BC or one of the dealers like Julian who carries those beauties.

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:35 pm »
Currently, my front L/R are also Linns.  However, now I'm going to go all VMPS in the front, with the RM40s and LRC.  I was thinking about the RM30s, but I don't know about the bass.  With the RM30s, I might have to buy two subs, as I haven't heard a single-sub system that integrates well with speakers.  I tried using my current sub (an SVS) in a corner, near the right speaker, but I could locate the sub.  I couldn't stand that.  If I went the RM30 route, then I'd have three subs, two speakers, a 57 inch 16x9 RPTV, and a matching stand, all in a row.   I think that might be more intrusive than two larger speakers and one sub.

So, are you saying that I should axe the LRC and get the RM30C for the center channel?  The RM30C does seem to be a better design (heck, it'll be a "wall of sound," it's so large!).  I haven't ordered yet, so I could do that.  My dealer also offered an upgrade -- I could apply the price of the LRC to the price of the RM30C (which he said Brian might modify in the near future to be a better center channel).

What's your recommendation?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:40 pm »
Bob,

If possible, try to visit me and see if you like things without a center.  I don't feel like I am losing anything and I obviously don't have any blending issues.   :lol:

If you like what you hear, you can either save the money and not buy a center or maybe wait to see if Brian comes out with a better dedicated center.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:57 pm »
I do want to visit, it's just the scheduling that's not working out.  This weekend, I know you have the NY party, but my girlfriend bought tickets a month ago to the opera in NYC, so I'll be there instead of at your place.  Also, even it that didn't happen, my friend scheduled his child's birthday party on that day.  Egad!  Anyway, I have your number (it's on a Post-It note on my computer at work), and I'll give you a call this weekend (Sunday, as I won't be home from NYC until late Saturday).  Perhaps next weekend would be good.  

I am leaning toward the RM30C, unless Brian is really going to change it in the near future.  Then I might take the LRC (or a phantom center) and be done until Brian comes out with the new RM30 center.

JDoyle

« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2004, 05:24 pm »
Marbles,  Without the base what is the exact dimesion now of the height (or width, now thats it's sideways  :? )?

Thanks,

John

meilankev

« Reply #28 on: 17 Mar 2004, 05:42 pm »
Bob (and George),

It is my opinion (for what that's worth) that  having Bob hear George's system will provide limited benefit, as I think it would be an "apples to oranges" comparison.  From my experience, I believe Bob is much more likely to need a Center Speaker (to anchor dialog) than George's system.  Just as I believe George's system will soundstage/image better than Bob's system when listening to 2-channel (all other things being equal).

Why?

The main reason George can more easily get by without a Center Speaker is because he has no equipment between his main speakers.  Since Bob has that big honking RPTV & equipment stand between the speakers, there can be a very real effect on presentation.

What's works for 2-channel (across the front) will work for Home Theater.  And what degrades the presentation for 2-channel also applies.  But fortunately, it can be rectified in Home Theaters by adding the Center Speaker.

Kevin

Marbles

« Reply #29 on: 17 Mar 2004, 05:54 pm »
Bob, if your choice is between an LRC and a RM30C to match the RM40's, than I recommend the RM30C.

JDoyle, the exact dimensions of my RM30 speaker are the same as the regular ones except they are shorter by about an inch, which is the very bottom base.

I'm at work and the speaker is home, so I can't really give you a better answer.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 17 Mar 2004, 05:54 pm »
Good point Kevin.

I was very happy when I sold my RPTV to my best friend and repalced it with a plasma tv.

I was even happier when I put the pj into the HT system.

George

Marbles

« Reply #31 on: 17 Mar 2004, 05:59 pm »
I hope to someday get rid of my RPTV for a FP.  Just haven't found the right one for the right price.

Probably won't happen for a few years anyway.  :cry:

ctviggen

« Reply #32 on: 17 Mar 2004, 06:22 pm »
FP is definitely on my list, too, but it's a bit harder than RP (you have to worry about light control, placement issues, etc.). But, you get a huge screen.  

I bet the RPTV also creates some problems with imaging, as it's basically a big reflector.  I've been looking into room treatments, and you're supposed to treat the reflection points, but the RPTV is a gigantic reflection point you can't treat.  Oh well, I'll just start saving now for the FP (and better surround processor, rear/side speakers, stereo preamp, CD player...).

So, it looks as if I should axe the LRC and go for the RM30C.  I'll change my order!

Thanks!

jgubman

« Reply #33 on: 17 Mar 2004, 06:33 pm »
One thing that I've found helps w/ 2-channel imaging and reflection problems is to throw a thick comforter over the RPTV when doing 2-channel. Thanks to John Casler for that tip.

I've gone a small step further and treated the area behind my RPTV w/ foam. This w/ the comforter actually makes a very real difference.

I also have an LRC w/ RM-40s and find they match up so-so. Definately not ideal as the RM-40s will just overpower the LRC if anything serious it played through all 3 speakers.

The things that are keeping me back from an RM-30 are the lack of a symetrical configuration and my fear of floor bounce problems w/ the midrange drivers placed horizontally.
I sit pretty nearfield (~8-9 feet from the front speakers) and have to have the center speaker on a stand (my Sony GWII LCD RPTV is too narrow to accomodate a speaker) about 18" off the floor and pointed up.

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 17 Mar 2004, 07:58 pm »
Thanks for the tip!  I'm definitely going to put foam behind the TV.  I may also use the comforter trick, but I have a "glare screen" that I typically remove, so I'll have to see about putting the comforter over the regular screen.  I'm also going to use a combination of the following:

http://www.realtraps.com/
http://www.eighthnerve.com/

It should be fun figuring out all the different room modes and how to get rid of them.

RickRichardson

RM30C finally arrives
« Reply #35 on: 18 Mar 2004, 12:16 am »
My RM30C got caught up in UPS limbo for several days and arrived with some damage to the base.  Brian says he will provide a replacement and to go ahead and use it.  

One suggestion to anyone doing this - don't try it by yourself.  These things weigh a good 100 lbs. and are very hard to place on top of a RPTV by yourself.  

I have only just got it up and running, no tweaking at all.  It sounds really good, clear, detailed and engaging.  A quick try of a couple of test DVD's show it is the best center speaker I have had in my system.  Dialog is crystal clear and the speaker does not sound boxy.  The illusion of speach coming from the characters on the screen is excellent.  Your attention is on the movie, not on the speakers.  

The match with the RM30M L&R speakers is, as you would expect, superb.  The clear highs and clean midrange let you hear things on the DVD you probably have never heard.  I am currently using a Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD plaver or Sony SAT HD-200 sat. receiver, a Lexicon MC-1 and a B&K 7270 amp.  The tweaking will begin in a few days.  

Here are some pics of the system and RM30C:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=260

I think the WAF will also be very high for the RM30C because of its clean look and how it fits in with all the other big black things on the HT wall.  I will find out when my wife gets home tonight.

John Casler

« Reply #36 on: 18 Mar 2004, 01:12 am »
What a great fit!! :mrgreen:

ekovalsky

« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2004, 01:43 am »
The piano black on the RM-30's looks great!

klh

« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2004, 03:46 am »
Here are two links for DIY all encompassing room treatements. Both are very extensive and put together by the man who owns and started the realtraps website.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html
http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Also, here is another link... this is to his forum that addresses practical applications of what was discussed in the two previous links. If one has questions about how to apply his thoughts he actually answers them publicly in a way all can learn. The beauty of the internet  :D .

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=26;hardset=;start_point=;DaysPrune=

Have at it,

Krister

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2004, 05:11 am »
Hello Ted,
I would definitely suggest using an RM30C (vertical if possible) as a center channel with the RM/X. My experience is that the LRC does a good job with the RM40s but gets completely out-classed by the RM/X. Hope that helps.

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com