Mac Mini - Connectivity Question

jwr159

Mac Mini - Connectivity Question
« on: 23 Jun 2020, 01:46 pm »
This is probably a basic question, but I do not know the answer.

I am thinking of replacing my Apple TV box with a Mac Mini. 

Can the Mac Mini be configured so:
     - the HDMI output to the TV is video-only; and a
     - a USB output is used for audio-only to a separate DAC (that only has a USB input)?

If anyone can clarify, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

avta

jwr159

Re: Mac Mini - Connectivity Question
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2020, 02:22 pm »
Afraid not. The video just describes how to connect a Mac Mini to a TV using an HDMI cable so it can be used as a monitor. It never gets into any details, such as splitting the video and audio to two separate outputs.

But thanks for sharing.

avta

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2020, 02:25 pm »
Sorry. You could try the configuration you're describing. i.e. connect an HDMI cable and a usb to your dac and see what happens.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2020, 02:32 pm »
I don't see why not, Displays and Sound are separate items in System Preferences so you should be able to route video and audio separately.

jtconte

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2020, 06:48 pm »
Yes, I have my Mac mini connected to my TV via HDMI and the USB to a USB DAC. I have never watched any movies this way. I use the USB DAC for music only.

cody69

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2020, 08:48 pm »
I have a mac mini setup just as you are wanting to do with HDMI output to tv, and USB connected to external DAC.
Use the Mac's System Preferences->Sound to specify the output port to use to send audio signal to your DAC.

Actually, my configuration has sound also going to TV, which I mute when playing audio thru stereo system.
Good luck!

jwr159

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2020, 08:57 pm »
Thank you to all who responded.

I am pleased that my grand scheme should work. I have a great USB only DAC and 2-channel amplifier and being able to use them instead of my surround receiver will drastically improve the sound quality.

For those using a Mac Mini, are you using it for your TV interface? I generally like the Apple TV interface (except for the remote). It is easy to navigate and for accessing Hulu, Netflix and Tidal.  Thanks for sharing any experiences, whether good or bad.

cody69

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:24 am »
I use an Apple TV as interface for watching series and movies. Agree it has a nice interface.

wdlvwdlv

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2020, 04:28 am »
I have a mac mini setup just as you are wanting to do with HDMI output to tv, and USB connected to external DAC.
Use the Mac's System Preferences->Sound to specify the output port to use to send audio signal to your DAC.

Actually, my configuration has sound also going to TV, which I mute when playing audio thru stereo system.
Good luck!

This exactly, go to System Preferences from there you will choose Sound and the Output. When the DAC is connected Via USB it will show up as a device. You will have to indicate that sound will output to the DAC device.

System Preferences > Sound > Output >(Your) DAC device

Cheers!