James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
qobuz
« on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:14 pm »
Hi Folks,

Qobuz launches today in the US.

It's so exciting to stream 192k/24 bit straight to the stereo!

Qobuz integration into our BDP is currently undergoing final check and certification. High res streaming, here we come!

witchdoctor

Re: qobuz
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:33 pm »
Sounds great so far to my ears. Certainly more convenient for whole house audio streaming in hirez. :thumb:

Check out The White Album 2018 mix and Chicago II Steve Wilson mix, both in 24/192 I think.

Timslim18

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2019, 07:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

Qobuz launches today in the US.

It's so exciting to stream 192k/24 bit straight to the stereo!

Qobuz integration into our BDP is currently undergoing final check and certification. High res streaming, here we come!

Hi James:

Great news.  Thanks for the update.  Two questions...

ETA for finalization/certification of BDP integration?  Includes all BDP models?

Kindly advise.

Thanks,

Tim

Calypte

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2019, 08:13 pm »

I look forward to Qobuz.  I have a BDP-pi.  Does whatever is going on at Bryston WRT Qobuz have any relevance to me?  I'm not presuming an answer.  I'd really like to know.

docder

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2019, 09:53 pm »
Excellent. Really looking forward to having Qobuz directly available on the BDP. In the UK I have had Qobuz for a while and can have it reach BDP as renderer via Auirvana+ UPnP. I'm ready.

D

schmidtmike76

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2019, 01:57 pm »
I’ll open this box who’s going to be the first to compare with Tidal.

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2019, 06:15 pm »
I’ll open this box who’s going to be the first to compare with Tidal.

In all fairness this is day one for Quboz so the software and app for the PC is still glitchy.
As far as SQ I prefer redbook on Quboz, bass extends a little more tightly, percusion instuments a little crisper and airy in the mix and vocals a little more natural.

As far as Quboz hirez its amazing, I think the choice of 24/96 hirez vs MQA largely comes down to which service has the albums you want. Tidal has Masters playlists which are excellent, I don't see any type of organized way to sort hirez playlists in Quboz.

As for the convenience factor it is hands down a win for Quboz. You need an MQA streamer/dac to unfold MQA. Fine if you have one system and one room. But what about multiple rooms and multiple systems? I upgraded to a whole house DTS Play-Fi ecosystem. I can play hirez in any room I want with the equipment I already have. To stream hirez via quboz all I needed to do was add a $25 klipsch gate to my HT and it sounds better than the $499 bluesound node with REDBOOK files to my ears. Clear win for Quboz.

As far as 24/96 vs MQA in my system it doesn't matter. I prefer both over redbook. I'll need more time to do an A/B comparison.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2019, 06:37 pm »
In all fairness this is day one for Quboz so the software and app for the PC is still glitchy.
As far as SQ I prefer redbook on Quboz, bass extends a little more tightly, percusion instuments a little crisper and airy in the mix and vocals a little more natural.

As far as Quboz hirez its amazing, I think the choice of 24/96 hirez vs MQA largely comes down to which service has the albums you want. Tidal has Masters playlists which are excellent, I don't see any type of organized way to sort hirez playlists in Quboz.

As for the convenience factor it is hands down a win for Quboz. You need an MQA streamer/dac to unfold MQA. Fine if you have one system and one room. But what about multiple rooms and multiple systems? I upgraded to a whole house DTS Play-Fi ecosystem. I can play hirez in any room I want with the equipment I already have. To stream hirez via quboz all I needed to do was add a $25 klipsch gate to my HT and it sounds better than the $499 bluesound node with REDBOOK files to my ears. Clear win for Quboz.

As far as 24/96 vs MQA in my system it doesn't matter. I prefer both over redbook. I'll need more time to do an A/B comparison. I agree and honestly I think MQA sounds incredible like 24bit 196 etc

sounddog

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2019, 09:45 pm »
I went to the Qobuz website to sign on for one of its streaming plans but only found prices listed in British pounds. I think the numerical prices are the same for the US , but is there another portion of the website that is in US dollars?

Branson4020

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2019, 09:48 pm »

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2019, 06:22 am »
If anyone is trying to access Quboz from the PC app it is very glitchy, sticks and freezes a lot. The app for mobile is MUCH easier right now.

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2019, 06:58 pm »
Day 2 of Quboz-  I found Quboz is a little too bright in my system and listening fatigue set in. I tried redbook and hirez tracks, just too much micro detail and it gets fatiguing. That never happened to me with Tidal or even Spotify. It looks like I am going back to Tidal. After I identified that brightness  I just hear it on every track. At first it was a WOW but after a while it just starts to sound kind of gritty to my ears.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2019, 11:37 pm »
Day 2 of Quboz-  I found Quboz is a little too bright in my system and listening fatigue set in. I tried redbook and hirez tracks, just too much micro detail and it gets fatiguing. That never happened to me with Tidal or even Spotify. It looks like I am going back to Tidal. After I identified that brightness  I just hear it on every track. At first it was a WOW but after a while it just starts to sound kind of gritty to my ears.
thanks for the input Witchdoctor

Rupret

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2019, 12:58 am »

I’ve had Qobuz for a few weeks now and went back to Tidal for a listen after reading your post ... seemed kind of mellow.

Acoustic panels might help.  My system was all over the place before I got these.  The intent was to hang them and make it pretty but I’m scared to touch them.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2019, 03:49 pm »
Hi

Looks like a nice system - can not make out what speakers they are?

james

Rupret

« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2019, 05:17 pm »
Magico S5

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2019, 05:41 pm »

gdbalp

« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2019, 04:21 am »
Chris/James,

With Qobuz integration, will the BDP-3 Buffer the incoming signal as it will require a bit more bandwidth to stream 24b/192k music content.

And does BDP-3 buffer the signal to a DAC like BDA-3. , some music streamers/players buffer the digital signal to improve or maintain a signal to the DAC, thus improving the sound reproduction???   Has Bryston experimented with the use of buffers in the digital path - better or no difference in sound reproduction?

Luigi

gbaby

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2019, 12:52 am »
Chris/James,

With Qobuz integration, will the BDP-3 Buffer the incoming signal as it will require a bit more bandwidth to stream 24b/192k music content.

And does BDP-3 buffer the signal to a DAC like BDA-3. , some music streamers/players buffer the digital signal to improve or maintain a signal to the DAC, thus improving the sound reproduction???   Has Bryston experimented with the use of buffers in the digital path - better or no difference in sound reproduction?

Luigi

The buffering is from the source to the BDP3 not the BDA3.

gdbalp

« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2019, 01:45 am »
Hi,

I think you are missing my point around the buffering question, some streamers/players do buffering between the player and DAC and they say that this improves the sound reproduction.

Therefore, I am asking if Bryston if BDP does this in some way and if they have experimented with buffering on both the source and the receiving output device like a DAC -> BDA-3?