Just starting out

audioman999

Just starting out
« on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:52 am »
I've been listening to more and more classical music, some symphony but mostly piano trios and other chamber music.  The one thing i have noticed is the music is not as loud as my jazz cd's and they don't sound as good on my system.  They seem to be playing in the background not up front.

Is this normal for classical music?  They aren't recorded as well as miles davis, eva cassidy,etc...

Thanks

BobMajor

Re: Just starting out
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2011, 02:56 am »
Pop music is generally mastered at a higher volume. However, what you are most likely referring to is that classical music is recorded to appear naturally with a depth of soundstage. This depth is not apparent unless the system is highly resolving. Most pop music is up front and in your face but has less depth than classical. You will find that some classical recordings will sound natural and interesting and others won't. However, if you get a more resolving system the recording which once sounded good will be less impressive while others which weren't impressive before all of a sudden reveal depths of information which wasn't apparent before.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2011, 04:09 am »
Classical music is recorded at a lower level than jazz or pop, so TURN IT UP!!!! :D

wilbert-vanbakel

• Photoshopped Smile
    • On Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:10 am »
The great aspect of classical music is that you have a choice of many, many recordings.
If you have a favorite chamber work, I suggest that you go out and find different renditions, I enjoy reading the reviews and finding about all the recordings on classicstoday.com.

When you get the hang of classical music, you might end up with collecting different interpretations of your favorite works.

It's okay to have a couple sets of the complete symphonies of Beethoven!
(I have Harnoncourt, Blomstedt and Zinman on the shelf and looking for Kleiber)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2011, 07:36 am »
Kleiber didn't do a complete set :(