Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

flat4

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1580 on: 11 Jun 2016, 07:51 pm »
Thanks PH1. Should you not have pics I will pull the cover when i have time. Just curious to see what's going on on there. Do you have a balanced pre out or going RCA out to XLR in?

Folsom

« Reply #1581 on: 12 Jun 2016, 12:32 am »
Google Search, numerous pics.

flat4

« Reply #1582 on: 12 Jun 2016, 12:54 am »
My google skills must be lacking. LOL

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #1583 on: 12 Jun 2016, 03:13 am »
Hey Now,

Google-fu is an art  :D

--
Finest kind,
Chris

flat4

« Reply #1584 on: 12 Jun 2016, 03:51 am »
Hey Now,

Google-fu is an art  :D

--
Finest kind,

Thank you Chris! I kept coming up with not so good pics for some reason. These are what i was trying to find.

flat4

« Reply #1585 on: 16 Jun 2016, 09:42 pm »
For the folks using rca out into xlr in on the amp what are you using for cables? Thank you!

flat4

« Reply #1586 on: 17 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm »
Anyone try an unbalanced to balanced converter? Any improvement as far as less noise if so?

jlawson1977

« Reply #1587 on: 17 Jun 2016, 03:49 pm »
Anyone try an unbalanced to balanced converter? Any improvement as far as less noise if so?

I use a Rolls ProMatch MB15B to convert RCA to XLR.  It outputs 1.4 volts which is a real benefit for the Crown.  The output is adjustable and also has RCA out, perfect for the sub.  I have the gains on my Crown set at about 11:00.  Less noise and greater dynamics with the higher input voltage. The Rolls unit is quiet, but it did introduce some ground loop noise.  Turned out to be a cable issue going to the sub.  All is good now :)

jk@home

« Reply #1588 on: 18 Jun 2016, 02:57 am »

I'm using Jensen output tranny units (Isomax) between a high gain pre and the three XLS1500s in the HT system. They are passive, so no added gain. Definitely a cleaner sound than when I used to use just unbalanced to balanced cables.

flat4

« Reply #1589 on: 18 Jun 2016, 06:09 pm »
I will take a look at these two products. I tried unbalanced to balanced cables and had a loud hum coming from both speakers. RCA only and no hum. Probably just stick with unbalanced RCA.

flat4

« Reply #1590 on: 27 Jul 2016, 04:07 pm »
So another XLS2502 b-stock came up and i pulled the trigger. Gonna burn it and once burned going to run these in mono for giggles. Also nabbed an xli800 for my center channel in this low budget HT system. Gonna be fun!

flat4

« Reply #1591 on: 30 Jul 2016, 03:23 pm »
So received both amps. The XLI800 is working nice powering my center channel for movies. Running in the 2nd XLS2502. Hopefully in a week i can have the 2502's running in mono mode.

Need to get them out to Folsom eventually to work his magic!

flat4

« Reply #1592 on: 5 Aug 2016, 04:33 pm »
Ok, 2502's are running in mono. Truly was not expecting much. Figured i would try it and pack one up and wait until i had to power some rear channels with it. Not gonna happen! In mono i am experiencing better imaging, more space between instruments, tighter faster bass and an overall smoother sound. Sounds better at lower volumes also and if i crank it they never distort. Power for days. Ears will give in before the amps will. Lol I am truly surprised by the improvement.

Kind of reminds me of some higher end class d amps i auditioned. The stereo amp was sweet. Switched up to the mono models and big improvement in sound. Really happy with this setup. Have only $2100.00 invested in speakers, pre/pro, amps and cables. I listen to 90 percent two channel on it so next upgrade will be maybe an oppo HA-1. I can run balanced to the Crowns and the Oppo has theater bypass  for when we watch movies. Should also keep with my lower cost theme. After that new main speakers.

I realize this thread is dead but figured this might be useful info for someone down the road.

Of course ymmv. Keep in mind this is what i experienced in my room, with my current system and to my ears.

mcgsxr

« Reply #1593 on: 5 Aug 2016, 06:40 pm »
I imagine lots of folks check in here during research, so great to see sharing still going on.

I bought a Crown XLS 1500 through this thread, and when I was using Magnepan 1.6QR's it was fantastic.  I sold the Maggies due to some "feline conflict".

I will try the Crown with my new (to me) speakers (older Focal Electra 906's).  Not sure I need all that power for ~90db efficient speakers though.

flat4

« Reply #1594 on: 5 Aug 2016, 07:26 pm »
I imagine lots of folks check in here during research, so great to see sharing still going on.

I bought a Crown XLS 1500 through this thread, and when I was using Magnepan 1.6QR's it was fantastic.  I sold the Maggies due to some "feline conflict".

I will try the Crown with my new (to me) speakers (older Focal Electra 906's).  Not sure I need all that power for ~90db efficient speakers though.

Anxious to hear your report with the Focals. I am running cheap Klipsch floor standers. They claim 98db but highly unlikely. Probably more like 92db. I bought the 2502's for $470.00 each so figured couldn't go wrong even though more power than needed. Should you ever get a chance to grab another 1500 and run them in mono i think you would be surprised.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1595 on: 5 Aug 2016, 09:01 pm »
I'm using mine to power some AE 15" woofers, for this purpose the Crown XLS are definitely excellent, full stop. Running full range, not as refined mid/highs as some other amps I have, but still the overall value for the money is incredible and some DIY can take care of f lot of the refinement issues.

flat4

« Reply #1596 on: 5 Aug 2016, 09:36 pm »
I'm using mine to power some AE 15" woofers, for this purpose the Crown XLS are definitely excellent, full stop. Running full range, not as refined mid/highs as some other amps I have, but still the overall value for the money is incredible and some DIY can take care of f lot of the refinement issues.

Yes more of a value for the money thing that i am getting a kick out of. Like i mentioned running them in mono seemed to have smooth out the highs and cleared up kids and lows. Maybe all in my mind? Well that's half the battle. Lol  Would like to do a blind A/B stereo versus mono.

Dave, i know folsom does some tweaks. You have anything else?

flat4

« Reply #1597 on: 5 Aug 2016, 09:37 pm »
Yes more of a value for the money thing that i am getting a kick out of. Like i mentioned running them in mono seemed to have smooth out the highs and cleared up mids and lows are quicker and have more punch. Less muddy all and all is only way i can convey it. Maybe all in my mind? Well that's half the battle. Lol  Would like to do a blind A/B stereo versus mono.

Dave, i know folsom does some tweaks. You have anything else?

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #1598 on: 13 Aug 2016, 02:48 pm »
Hello: Because of this thread I am trying the xls1000 with my spatial m4's..... Wow, impressive, a little cold sounding but musical and I'm hearing things in the recordings that were not apparent before with my First Watt F4 class A amp.... so next with my Quad 988's ...Nice discovery!

OzarkTom

« Reply #1599 on: 13 Aug 2016, 04:18 pm »
Hello: Because of this thread I am trying the xls1000 with my spatial m4's..... Wow, impressive, a little cold sounding but musical and I'm hearing things in the recordings that were not apparent before with my First Watt F4 class A amp.... so next with my Quad 988's ...Nice discovery!

I have a pair of m3's coming in next week and will I will hook up my Folsum moddded 1500 to them.