USB Direct vs MicroRendu or UltraRendu

GregC

USB Direct vs MicroRendu or UltraRendu
« on: 30 Dec 2017, 08:00 pm »
I am considering moving to Roon, but thought maybe as a starter I can get a MicroRendu or UltraRendu and use it with JRiver via DLNA. 

Current setup: Laptop JRiver MC21 > USB (Wywires Platinum) > Wyred 4 Sound USB Recovery > USB (Paul Pang Audio Red) > Exogal Comet DAC
Proposed setup: Laptop JRiver MC21 > DLNA via ethernet > MicroRendu (with upgraded PSU) > USB (Paul Pang Audio Red) > Exogal Comet DAC

If the sound quality is better, that would be a good starting point and also allow me to transition to Roon if I decide to go that route.  The downside I see is not being able to play other audio from my laptop to the DAC.

For those who may have had a similar direct USB connection and moved to MicroRendu, did you feel the sound quality was a noticeable improvement?

BCRich1

Re: USB Direct vs MicroRendu or UltraRendu
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2017, 08:39 pm »
Pretty much went down the same path you have. Check your PM.
Mike

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2017, 10:34 pm »
You'll get vastly improved SQ removing your laptop's USB output from the chain.  I've had networked audio in my system since 2010 using Sonore products, and I would never have a direct PC connection if at all avoidable.  Prior to going network, I ran a dedicated MacPro with PureMusic. . .network streaming on a Sonore device sounds much better in all aspects.

GregC

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2017, 10:39 pm »
You'll get vastly improved SQ removing your laptop's USB output from the chain.  I've had networked audio in my system since 2010 using Sonore products, and I would never have a direct PC connection if at all avoidable.  Prior to going network, I ran a dedicated MacPro with PureMusic. . .network streaming on a Sonore device sounds much better in all aspects.

That was my thought as well, that by having the mRendu I remove the laptop from the playback chain (other than serving up via DLNA) and that would result in better music. 

I will need an endpoint if I go to Roon and I want to stream music to my Comet so a mRendu would not be a wasted component either way. 

Thanks for providing your observations.

GregC

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2017, 11:05 pm »
I do not have have facebook or twitter, is there a way to contact small green computer by email?  I want to make sure the mRendu they sell is version 1.4 and software version 2.5.  Also, I assume I can use my existing linear PSU that is 9V/1.3A. 

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2017, 11:23 pm »
Try andrew@vortbox.com   

There is also a green contact us box at the bottom of their web page.    www.smallgreencomputer.com

Alan

GregC

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2017, 11:25 pm »
Try andrew@vortbox.com   

There is also a green contact us box at the bottom of their web page.    www.smallgreencomputer.com

Alan

Thanks Alan, I ran my mouse over the different contact methods did not see email as an option.

left channel

• Everyone wants to date my avatar
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2018, 06:24 pm »
Try andrew@vortbox.com   

Thanks Alan, I ran my mouse over the different contact methods did not see email as an option.

Typo alert: you probably already figured this out, but as far as I know it's only vortexbox.org (not vortbox.com). I'm happy to see something here that may distract spammers' web crawlers though.

GregC

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2018, 06:32 pm »
Typo alert: you probably already figured this out, but as far as I know it's only vortexbox.org (not vortbox.com). I'm happy to see something here that may distract spammers' web crawlers though.
I figured out the typo but appreciate your follow up.  Happy New Year!