Are open baffle speakers better for larger rooms?

zkeller

Are open baffle speakers better for larger rooms?
« on: 24 Nov 2020, 06:45 am »

When I mentioned in another circle that I was interested in open baffle speakers, the question came back whether my room is not too small for open baffles.

My room size is: 15'6" x 11'4" x 9'

From this question I assume that the general wisdom is that open baffle speakers are for larger rooms? Any truth to that?

Openly Baffled

• I'm an Open Baffle fan!
Re: Are open baffle speakers better for larger rooms?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2020, 07:27 am »
OB's can sound great in smaller rooms. The problem is generally that the speakers need to be around 4' out from the rear wall and away from side walls if possible. This pushes the listening position back - and as a listener you need to keep away from the rear wall.
The result is a small room gets squeezed to the point where optimal positioning is impossible.
I hope this helps with the basic principles.

zkeller

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2020, 07:41 am »

OK, so the main issue is keeping them away from the walls. I have my listening position 1/3 from the back wall and my current speakers 1.4m (4'7") from the front wall and about 0.8m (2'7") from side walls.

It does result in a cosy listening position relative to the speakers as you say. Would this be OK for open baffles?

But my impression was that because open baffle is bipole, the side reflections are less of an issue and so they are better for small rooms?

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2020, 01:25 pm »
OK, so the main issue is keeping them away from the walls. I have my listening position 1/3 from the back wall and my current speakers 1.4m (4'7") from the front wall and about 0.8m (2'7") from side walls.

It does result in a cosy listening position relative to the speakers as you say. Would this be OK for open baffles?

Yes, this positioning will work for open baffle speakers.

Openly Baffled

• I'm an Open Baffle fan!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2020, 07:32 am »
Yes, this positioning will work for open baffle speakers.

I agree with Early B.

The geometry you propose should be fine and is probably an ideal starting point - but always experiment...

You are also correct that the side reflections are nulled by the bipolar radiation pattern. This is in part what gives OB that beautiful clarity and is even more advantageous in smaller rooms that classically suffer from these reflections.

I can't see any reason why you wont achieve a great outcome with OB over sealed boxes.

zkeller

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2020, 08:14 am »

Thanks for that positive response Openly Baffled. I would have to order a pair without hearing them and your enthusiasm is helpful.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2020, 08:34 am »
If you prefer the OB bass over the boxed there is no prob so, as the mids and treble OB are better than the regular boxed.

zkeller

« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2020, 08:36 am »

How would you describe OB bass compared to boxed bass?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2020, 08:41 am »
OB bass are very open and large soundstage but with Less Slam.

Would be useful you listen before purchase If possíble.

zkeller

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2020, 10:42 am »

I don’t suppose that you have listened to the Spatial Sapphire M5s?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2020, 10:01 pm »
Correct, unfortunately I have not listened any Spatial model, but a OB bass woofer matches very well with some kind of music as Ambient:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd6XL_IOS3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5cNaU1h1I

And some other types of music fit very well a Bass Reflex boxed woofer. It could be better have both options on the same system.