Room placement

rockdrummer

Room placement
« on: 20 Jan 2019, 03:16 pm »
Hi everyone.

I am planning to start cutting my wedgie stands today. I was making final measurements and I have a few questions. First off, I apologize for my crude drawing.

My room is my open basement, concrete floor with carpet, and 8 foot ceilings. The area where my audio rig sits is 14' wide, on the left there is a 10' wall, which opens up. The right has a 18' wall that also opens up. Behind the listening position is an open room with another long open area reaching about 60' back.

1. Even though the room behind the listening position is large, will my gear perform like it's in a smaller space because of the front and immediate side wall positions?

2. My desire to have flexible positioning and reading about builders feeling like their wedgies performed better not being placed on top of the subs pushed me to use subs then separate stands for the mains.

3. Am I correct in saying open baffle subs can be placed near a side wall as long as they are at least 3' from the front wall? And I assume I should have the drivers on the same plane as the mains, for best soundstage results.

4. My listening position is easily maneuverable. So that's not really an issue. But am I too limited now with wedgies that can be no more than 8.5' apart? Yes they can be even 5' or a little more into the room which is great, but does anyone anticipate me regretting using stands and possibly limiting my placement?  i.e. subs close to side walls and mains less than 8.5' apart to the tweeter center?

Thanks for any advice you have. I can still go back to putting the wedgies on the subs but I was excited to build sand filled stands and have some flexibility, but maybe I don't have as much as I originally thought.
Ben

ebag4

Re: Room placement
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2019, 04:13 pm »
Hi Ben, congrats on completing your Wedgies!  I can’t answer all your questions but I will mention that you will want to keep the Wedgies and subs fairly close since they are crossing in the 200 Hz area.  My guess is that your space will be in good shape for the frequencies the Wedgies cover, I am curious how the large space behind you will impact the bass.  I have a pair of servo h frame subs that cover a 16x28’x10’ space that is open to two other spaces roughly 8x17’x8’, but not anything close to 60’, my guess is that the bass will still be good in the listening space due to the way OB loads the room, but it will be interesting to read about your findings.

Enjoy!

Best,
Ed

Derockster

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2019, 11:48 pm »
Hi,

Why would the wedgies not work on top of your subs?

Regards

Cleaton

rockdrummer

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2019, 01:13 am »
I would assume possible vibrations?

Not from my experience.

Ben

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2019, 01:21 am »
I would start with them on top of the subs. 

The OB BG planars on top of my 2x12 OB servos have worked very well. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2019, 03:46 am »
Yeah and  like  Ed was saying, keeping them as close to inline with the   subs at those  higher  c/o frequencies is a good idea.
we were using  some  sorbathane between the Otica Mtm's and  dual subs.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2019, 05:35 am »
I use Herbie’s fat dots between tops and subs. They also work well.

With strategic placement of room treatment you should be able to get the room sounding really good.

Your drawing shows the speakers being 8-1/2ft apart. How far are they from the couch?

rockdrummer

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2019, 02:20 pm »
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I was going between the couch (about 13.5') and sliding a chair (about 10') in front of the couch when I had super v's in that room. The center image seemed a bit more detailed in the closer chair. I also moved the couch forward and back during testing too.

Seems like the consensus is put the wedgies right on top. I am a bit disappointed I don't have a reason to build the stands.  :lol:

How much do the wedgies weigh? If I go with Herbie's fat dots, which size do people use? Also, is it best to use fewer, or more to achieve the desired decoupling?

Edit-i spent some time on the Herbie's Audio Lab site, lots of products.
Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2019, 02:54 pm »
Ben,

I use 4 of the regular (thiner) fat dots under each seaker.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2019, 05:02 pm »
I don't have a  finished one   handy to throw on a  scale....

Flat pack shipping  weight is usually  just under  40 lbs  so I'm  going to say  25-30 lbs  for each finished  wedgie.

jay

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2019, 06:57 pm »
I also use 4 of the Herbies Fat Dots under the Wedgies.

Best,
Ed

mkane

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2019, 03:19 pm »
  Our room dimensions are similar and the bass is outstanding, to say the least.