Modwright Oppo BD-83 SE Nuforce Player in house

Freo-1

Modwright Oppo BD-83 SE Nuforce Player in house
« on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:28 pm »
Well, as luck would have it, I was able to sell some excess gear laying around, and was able to pick up a Modwright Oppo BD-83 SE Nuforce player for a very reasonable price.  It replaced a Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu Ray.

Along with the fact that the Oppo plays everything, the unit sounds incredible.  I was always a bit suspect about the level of improvement mods could perform, but Dan has opened my eyes (and ears) to just how good these mods can truly enhance performance.

I've got to put it through some extended listening tests, but so far, so good.  Initial quick impressions:

1) SACD/Blu Ray formats are out of this world.  Clean, detailed, dynamic like I've never heard.  More to follow:

2) DVD Audio formats is a bit of a harder call.  The output from the Modwight XLR is outstanding in it's own right.  Could easily live with it and enjoy.  However, feeding the 24/96 via the coaxial of this player to the Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC Plus seems just a bit more musical overall.  Will need to conduct extended listening to validate with a number of different types of music.

3) CD playback is very good with the Modwright.  The digital out from the Modwright Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC does sound better with CD's than the Modwright analog out.  The differences between the Modwright with CD is a bit more noticeable than with DVD Audio.

All things considered, this player is an incredible performer.  Will be post observations after some extended listening.  This Modwright Oppo is a keeper.

Now I've got to look into getting the BD-95 upgraded by Dan for the HT Rig.
  :duh:

Freo-1

Re: Modwright Oppo BD-83 SE Nuforce Player in house
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2011, 09:39 pm »
Sorry, posted in wrong forum.  Please remove.  I posted in the correct location.

JP78

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm »
What exactly are the ModWright mods on top of the NuForce player? Sounds interesting. :)

Congrats on the player; make sure you post more info if you send off your 95 to Dan.

Best,

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2011, 12:04 am »
What exactly are the ModWright mods on top of the NuForce player? Sounds interesting. :)

Congrats on the player; make sure you post more info if you send off your 95 to Dan.

Best,

It is a BD-83 SE Nuforce edition that was sent off to Dan for the full solid state mods with XLR out and a hard wired fan.   The guy had spent a lot of money on this player.  I was very lucky to pick this up at a reasonable price.

Right now, I'm just using it as a two channel player.  I love how the multi channel HD is down mixed to two channel.  The sound from the David Gilmour "Remember The Night" Blu Ray with the down mixed Dolby Tru HD is simply incredible.

I am still struck at just how good this unit sound.  While I still prefer the Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC plus on CD playback, this player sounds great with CD.  DVD Audio is really outstanding with this player, giving EE DAC a good run for it's money.

SACD/Blu Ray is where this player REALLY shines.  Truly remarkable.

I'll have to save some coin up to get the BD-95 upgraded, as that is the player I am using for HT.