Sonic Craft's New Capacitor

blizzard

« on: 28 Sep 2004, 10:07 pm »
WOW!

As far as I am concerned, Sonic Craft's new capacitor is simply amazing.  

I bypassed the 2 Sonicaps in each of my tweeter's crossovers with 0.1uF values of Jeff's new cap.  I have never had a mod yield such a gigantic improvement in sound.  There is no question that this is the best tweak that I have ever done to my system -- EVER!

Every other successful mod that I have either done myself or had done for me has yielded improvements.  But, nothing like this.

Anyone who knows me, knows that when it comes to audio I am a "Resolution" and "Sibilance" freak (obviously I love resolution and hate sibilance).  Harshness really gets to me.  I can't stand it with a passion.  And, I 've been trying to rid my system of it since the beginning of time.  And since the beginning of time, I have been making good strides.  But this is one huge leap.  The detail is now just out of this world.  And if there is any sibilance, I can't hear it.  I think that any improvement that I can make after this will have to be relatively small.  It's just that good.

I always thought that my Dynaudios characteristically had a bit of an edge to them.  The edge is gone.  I have finally gotten my Dyns to sound silky sweet.

My sincerest thanks to Jeff Glowacki for recommending this cap.

Thanks a million,    
                Steve

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2004, 10:29 pm »
I hate your posts...because they make me want to spend money!  Hope you are doing well.  I'll have to give ol' Jeff a call and try some of those new caps.  Are they on the website? I'm assuming these are the new high end caps he was working on, not the Sonicaps which I already have in my speakers.  

Thanks for the information.  

Jack

PS-just kidding, I like your posts.

blizzard

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:18 pm »
Hey Jack,

They're not on his site yet.  I had to go deep underground to get mine.  There is a guy I know who knows a guy.........   Kidding.

I guess until he gets his site updated, you have to call him direct.  Based on what they did for my Dyns, I can't imagine what these caps would do for your 1801's (being that they were so sweet to begin with).  My guess is that they would stay sweet.  But, that they would add significantly more detail, which would enhance your already large soundstage.  Again, those would be my expectations based on my experience.  You never really know until you try.

Good luck Jack.  I think you are going to like this one.

Steve

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2004, 03:14 am »
Okay, which new caps are we talking about here. The new SoniCap Gen2 or the Platinum Teflon units. I have just installed the new Gen2 SoniCaps in one of our Signature 502 amplifiers that will be debuting at the Rocky Mountain Audio Show. These are noticably a bit warmer than the originals. I have not yet tried them in any of my speakers as their values only go to 1.0uF.

As far as the Platinum Teflon caps, I am currently installing these in a pair of our new Statement Jolida 200 watt mono bloc amps. I will post me findings and opinions after I get a good number of hours on them. At least 400+ hours are required on Teflon units so it may be a while.

blizzard

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2004, 11:31 am »
Hi Bill,
  We're talking about the Platinum/Teflon caps.  And, I don't know what these guys will sound like after 400 hours.  But, after 400 seconds they were spectacular.

Steve

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2004, 11:35 am »
Gotchya,
  Being Teflon, if you like them out of the gate, just wait till the 150 hour plus mark. You will spend more time picking your jaw off the floor than listening to music.
  Keep us posted on your progress and happy listening.

blizzard

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2004, 11:49 am »
I will say this.  The music is so non-fatiguing now, 150 hours will probably fly by without realizing it.
              Steve

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2004, 12:31 pm »
Okay, keep something in mind. Teflon caps sound good fresh from the start. BUT...... after a few hours they start taking a few steps backwards. Do not be allarmed some morning when you turn the system on and it sounds awful cause it will happen. You will find periods when it takes two steps forwards then a step backwards. Just ride the storm out.
  After 100-150 hours, the improvements become more consistant and all steps are are forward.

I should have our amps up and running next week and will keep you posted on my impressions also. WIth modding and testing costumer's systems on a daily basis, it will take me some time to gather up 150 hours, not to mention 400+. Then when you figure in the 1000V+ plate current of these 211 tubes, my electric bill will be soaring, I'm sure.

MttBsh

Dumb question.... how difficult are these caps to install?
« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2004, 09:14 pm »
I'm almost completely helpless when it comes to DIY. I have a pair of Soliloquy 5.3 floorstanders, and based on some posts I've read, suspect that bipassing my tweeter crossovers with these new caps would make a nice improvement.  Would my local electonics guy be able to install the caps or does it require a PHD in electrical engineering? The last thing I want to do is damage my beloved 5.3s.
Thanks for any feedback
Matt

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2004, 09:21 pm »
that would be a question for your local tech. DIY'ers and obviously most dealers would say it's simple but if it's something one has not yet done, it could be a bit indemidating. The other thing to consider is warranty. Most likely if the speaker is opened and capacitors changed or altered in any way, you may be voiding the warranty. I am not familiar with their warranty.

MttBsh

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2004, 09:26 pm »
Thanks for the quick reponse Bill.  I think my warranty ran out a couple of years ago anyway, so I may look into having it done. Thanks again.

Matt

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2004, 09:40 pm »
As far as I am concerned, Sonic Craft's new capacitor is simply amazing.

I have to agree.

Pictured is a 1uF Axon cap, a 1uF Sonicap, and the new 1uF Sonicap Platium.

I was allowed to be part of a beta test group while these were being developed.

I have not seen or heard better.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2004, 09:49 pm »
Why is that new cap so big?  :o

Andrikos

« Reply #13 on: 1 Oct 2004, 11:14 pm »
Quote from: StevenACNJ
Why is that new cap so big?  :o

Higher voltage rating? (thicker dielectric)

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
Bigger
« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2004, 01:31 am »
For one, it is a film and foil cap.

Secondly it is rated at 800 VDC.

The standard Sonicap is 220 VDC for values of 1.0 and larger, and some larger values are available in 425 VDC and 630 VDC.

In the smaller values (below 1.0uF) the standard Sonicap is rated at 630 VDC.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2004, 02:14 am »
Yes, Film and Foil caps will have a larger physical size and with the 800v rating, well you get the idea.

I probably will not get the oppurtunity to hear these caps in x-overs so I'll be interested in hearing what others say.

I should have the big 200 watt Jolidas that are using the Platinums in the coupling positions fired up next week so I can start dealing with the "forever and a day break-in" of Teflon. I will try to post my initial impressions before they take their two steps backwards.

By the way, anybody here have any experience with the new SoniCap Gen2 capacitors? I have already had time to do my evaluation but will not post my findings till I see what others have heard. For those who will be at the Rocky Mountain show, there will be a custom built Jolida amp in the Daedalus Speaker room (Suite 920)  that will be debuting these new Gen2 caps. The amp will be easy to spot as it has a solid Cherry face plate and transformer cover side plates.
  I can say that the new Gen2 SoniCaps are different from the originals. In some applications I would prefer the originals while in others, the Gen2 provided better results. It will be interesting to hear other's findings.

BrunoB

Re: Bigger
« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2004, 01:49 pm »
Quote from: Danny
For one, it is a film and foil cap.

Secondly it is rated at 800 VDC.

The standard Sonicap is 220 VDC for values of 1.0 and larger, and some larger values are available in 425 VDC and 630 VDC.

In the smaller values (below 1.0uF) the standard Sonicap is rated at 630 VDC.

Newbie question: what are the benefits of higher voltage caps for speaker crossover?

Bruno

markC

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2004, 02:23 pm »
Danny, will you be selling the new caps and if so, when will they be available? Perhaps you could pm me to keep the moderators off your back. :wink:

markC

Re: Dumb question.... how difficult are these caps to instal
« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2004, 02:30 pm »
Quote from: MttBsh
I'm almost completely helpless when it comes to DIY. I have a pair of Soliloquy 5.3 floorstanders, and based on some posts I've read, suspect that bipassing my tweeter crossovers with these new caps would make a nice improvement.  Would my local electonics guy be able to install the caps or does it require a PHD in electrical engineering? The last thing I want to do is damage my beloved 5.3s.
Thanks for any feedback
Matt

I also have 5.3's and I swapped out all the caps with the standard Sonicaps. Outstanding improvement in clarity. It was a pain in the ass to do, because one of the 2 seperate x-over boards, (I think the low pass if I remember correctly is glued to the bass of the cabinet. The other one is easy to get at, it's mounted right on the back plate where the binding posts and port are. The plate is easy to remove. I left the original caps in place and just disconnected them as they were glued down with gobs of glue. The caps are not marked, but I measured them and have the values if you want them.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2004, 03:14 pm »
I probably will not get the oppurtunity to hear these caps in x-overs so I'll be interested in hearing what others say.

I got to test a pair of 6.8 uF Sonicap Platinums in the development stage.

One was a little larger in size than the other but the smaller one was a little heavier. Both were about the size of a soup can in diameter and just a little shorter in length.

Probably the best 6.8 uF cap I ever heard in a tweeter circuit, but I don't think this application is the best one for these caps.

Greater gains can be obtained when using them in electronics. Small values are not that expensive and the well worth the improvements.

Plus, there is the fact that a single 6.8 uF cap would retail for more than I sell any of our A/V series speaker kits for.

By the way, anybody here have any experience with the new SoniCap Gen2 capacitors? I have already had time to do my evaluation but will not post my findings till I see what others have heard.

Yea, I got to try some of those too. I don't have any in stock yet though.

I did A/B them with the regular Sonicaps as well.

The regular Sonicap seamed to have a bit more body and weight to it by comparison. The new version clearly had a greater sense or air about it. High level detail was better in the new cap too.

I really liked them. Using them as a by-pass cap on a standard Sonicap will make a perfect combo.

Newbie question: what are the benefits of higher voltage caps for speaker crossover?

There is not a big advantage in using the higher voltage caps in a speaker. Many applications in electronics require the higher voltage rating though.

Danny, will you be selling the new caps and if so, when will they be available?

I will be selling them and do currently have a small inventory of them. I have .01, .022, .1, .22, .33, .47, and 1.0's in stock.

These are really most idea in electronics and most of our customers are speaker builders. All available values are small, and they are also on the expensive side for using them in loudspeakers. So I did not bring in large quantities of them like I do the regular Sonicaps.