Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.

Pez

Re: Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.
« Reply #60 on: 17 Oct 2010, 12:35 am »
Can you please repost this pic ... ?
shoot I'm not sure what I dd, but this pic is gone from my flickr account. I'll try to find it on my iPad later, but for now it's MIA. sorry.

Pez

« Reply #61 on: 17 Oct 2010, 12:46 am »
Luckily I had it! Sorry for the low quality.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #62 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:04 am »
Hey Pez and everyone who is posting..A hearty Thank You!!! for going above and beyond to bring us pics and info...Cheers!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #63 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:14 am »
Yes, big THANKS for your report and pics ladies and gentleman.
These are always fun to read and fallow. 

P.S
Anyone cares to report on the sound in Wyred/Emerald room.  Want to know how my dac sounds in there? :lol:

Cacophonix

« Reply #64 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:18 am »
Thanks a lot, Pez!
Really appreciate all you and others like you are doing in bringing these reports (live!)!!
 :thumb: :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #65 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:19 am »
After listening to the Calypsos on Thursday evening, Thom drove home to Erie and brought his Ulysses back and replaced the Calypsos with his Daedalus Ulysses (without the all poly crossover upgrade).

Probably the Atma-sphere M-60s couldn't drive the Calypsos.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #66 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:53 am »

Great coverage, thanks.

Anyone check out the Arte Forma room. They have the Dayens amps and have come out with a new 150 watt integrated. Would like to know how it stacks up to the Dayans.

Rocket_Ronny

Pez

« Reply #67 on: 17 Oct 2010, 02:15 am »
Probably the Atma-sphere M-60s couldn't drive the Calypsos.

It probably didn't help, but from what I heard the calypsos had other issues unrelated to the amplification. I really wanted to hear them so I'm bummed. :(

dwk

« Reply #68 on: 17 Oct 2010, 02:59 am »
Random quick thoughts.

Salks were excellent in both rooms. The Bamberg room was very very good IMHO. 

Anyone else hear the Ayon Blackbird? Seems to use the BMS co-ax compression driver. I thought it sounded very good.

I did a hit-and-run in the GR room. Sounded OK, but they were playing something from 'The Wall' and there was some brightness. Quote possibly the recording. Dynamics were good, but still shy of what I get with my U15's in a 200 sq ft room :-)

The product that may have made the biggest impression was in the Music Hall room. They had a pair of powered monitors with built-in i-pod dock that were really really good for their $700 price tag. Apparently it's basically an Epos speaker with Creek amplification.

The Napa Acoustic room also had some interesting bargain-basement gear - a couple hybrid integrated amps that were rather attractive and sounded better than decent in a quick listen.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #69 on: 17 Oct 2010, 04:07 am »
Random quick thoughts.

Salks were excellent in both rooms. The Bamberg room was very very good IMHO. 

Anyone else hear the Ayon Blackbird? Seems to use the BMS co-ax compression driver. I thought it sounded very good.

I did a hit-and-run in the GR room. Sounded OK, but they were playing something from 'The Wall' and there was some brightness. Quote possibly the recording. Dynamics were good, but still shy of what I get with my U15's in a 200 sq ft room :-)

The product that may have made the biggest impression was in the Music Hall room. They had a pair of powered monitors with built-in i-pod dock that were really really good for their $700 price tag. Apparently it's basically an Epos speaker with Creek amplification.

The Napa Acoustic room also had some interesting bargain-basement gear - a couple hybrid integrated amps that were rather attractive and sounded better than decent in a quick listen.
Interesting.  Thanks everybody for the pics but where are Tyson's comments like last year?  Missin those. 

dwk

« Reply #70 on: 17 Oct 2010, 04:54 am »
The butcher-block speakers with the Scan woofs and the RAAL are hand-made (no CNC) by 'Bogdan'  www.bogdanaudiocreations.com.
Sounded quite good, but pricey. The larger speakers are apparently $17k, but I'm not sure what the ones pictured go for.

taoggniklat

« Reply #71 on: 17 Oct 2010, 04:58 am »
I had a great time at the show. I was there friday and saturday.

Of the rooms that I was able to check out, my favorites were both Salk rooms, Vandersteen, Acapella and J-Corder. I also liked the Zu rooms, Von Schwiekert VR-33, MSB Technology and Nola rooms.

The GR Research room had a big sound, bit a tad bright for my taste. I was not impressed with TiDal speakers. They looked nice but the sound was under whelming. I came from the Aperion room listening to $600 bookshelves into the Tidal room with $40k speakers and I would take the Aperions.

I loved the Salk Soundscapes. The Songtowers and HT2's were equally wonderful to listen to. My wife loves them.

The J-Corder analog reel to reel room was just fun. They were a great bunch to just talk with. It may not be the best sound out there, but it was fun and I would love to have one to play with.

The Nola folks were very friendly and the sound was fantastic.

Just a few of my observations.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #72 on: 17 Oct 2010, 05:06 am »
Thanks again everyone for the photo's and comments....

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #73 on: 17 Oct 2010, 05:13 am »
Thanks for all of the posts, wish I could have made it!

TomS

« Reply #74 on: 17 Oct 2010, 12:29 pm »
Wonder why the Atma-Sphere wouldn't mate well.   :scratch:
My understanding was they were an older pair with a mix of old tubes and they were simply not functioning properly, tube socket problems, etc.

The M60's drove the other pair just fine in the Galibier vinyl setup and sounded very nice to me.  I also think if you didn't know about the new subs you'd never miss them with these speakers.

The Deadalus room I actually liked the best was the smaller one with the First Sound preamp and little Berning OTL.  Very nice setup.

OzarkTom

« Reply #75 on: 17 Oct 2010, 12:39 pm »

The Deadalus room I actually liked the best was the smaller one with the First Sound preamp and little Berning OTL.  Very nice setup.

Wish I could have heard that system, I always wanted to listen to that little Berning amp.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #76 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:12 pm »
Wonder why the Atma-Sphere wouldn't mate well.   :scratch:

OTL's don't mate well with low impedance.  Put the Speltz ZERO Impedance Autoformers in and try again 12, 24 or even 48 ohms.  The Atma-Sphere will kick serious butt under the right conditions, but fall equally flat under the wrong conditions.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:14 pm »
OTL's don't mate well with low impedance.  Put the Speltz ZERO Impedance Autoformers in and try again 12, 24 or even 48 ohms.  The Atma-Sphere will kick serious butt under the right conditions, but fall equally flat under the wrong conditions.

Gotcha.  I wonder why Lou didn't use the zero's then.  I'm sure Ralph knew what he was going to use them for.  Oh well.  Glad it all worked out in the end. 

mbakes

« Reply #78 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:21 pm »
I was able to hit most of the rooms I wanted to get to before leaving the show later today.  I enjoyed sledding some time in the Salk room. Everyone was nice and eager to talk and answer questions.  I was really looking forward to hearing the SongTowers, which better than I had expected, running off a very nice AVA 30 watt tube amp.  I also really enjoyed the Emerald Physics room.  It was some of the best sound of what I heard at the show.

Finally, I really enjoyed the Zu Soul Superfly and the Omen.  Enjoyed seeing Ron Williams, who I met last year at a Zu Party I hosted.  I planned on buying the Omens before the show figuring I had 60 days to to try them out.  I spent a lot of time with them in the Peachtree room and they too were better than I expected.  So much so that I bought the black show demo.  When I found out about the offer, I was also considering the Soul Superfly, which I enjoyed as well.  Anyone who wants a nice budget system, get a Peachtree Nova and a pair of Omens.

Some of the best music I heard was a mono version Ben Webster with the Miyajima mono cart on the OMA Anatase turntable in the Rogue room.  I forget the speakers that were in the room.

I almost forgot.  The Selah Monitors I heard were excellent.  I am not sure which model or the electronics but they just disappeared in the room and that was left was the music.

capwkidd

« Reply #79 on: 17 Oct 2010, 01:22 pm »
I have been here since late Thursday night, and I am trying to Finnish going to all the rooms. I see people posting pictures, and I do not remember seeing those rooms, yet I have been on those floors. Yesterday I started going to the first room on a floor, take pics in that room, then, when I leave the room, take a picture of the sign outside, that way I can see which room I was in. I did that for the entire 9th floor, need to finish the 11th today, then go through the 10th. I might have missed some places on the 8th, and I guess I only visited a few vendors on the other side of the hotel. Maybe I should just go to 4 & 5 first, they appear to be smaller floors....

But, so far, the rooms I was most impressed with where Peachtree with the Sonas Fabers (don't remember the model), and other Sonas Fabers (ok, so I don't remember the room off the top of my head), the Super Fly's, The Clues, the High Emotion speakers. The equipment setup in the Magico room looked very expensive, which would make sense..... The guy was dressed nice, and I did not see him smile until one of the show goers started talking to him, at first I thought he would not even listen to anyone, and I did not notice anyone ask if they can play their own music. Oh, and the Acoustic Zen room was fun, I love vendors with an easy going/fun attitude! Acoustic Zen's, like so many of the really good speakers where just too much money..... Maybe I will just get The Clue, and the Zu Omens.... apparently I collect speakers.... I have too many already! Ha! Maybe I will take advantage of the 20% off deal and get a Peachtree Musicbox.... oh and then there where the JH Audio headphones.... bah.... not enough time or money, oh well, I am up early today, so I will hit the show early.... See you there!