A new review is up on the Brute and the Bully.

maty

Re: A new review is up on the Brute and the Bully.
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jun 2024, 09:01 am »
I did not explain myself well, I referred to Bass-Reflex vs Line Transmission, subwoofers ..

About high-pass filters, in my cheap second system, computer and usually nearfield, with my modified KEF Q100 5.25" coaxials I have the front bass-reflex closed (bad design by KEF) and this in my JRiver MC 64 bits. Sounds better.

PEQ only to make a bass boost.
Soft touch -ups at higher frequencies via rePhase -> Convolution filter -> JRMC.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #21 on: 2 Jun 2024, 03:24 pm »
That stuff is cool and would probably be an interesting conversation to dig into via another thread, so it doesn't get lost in the discussion here about the Bully and Brute. 

I think it does show how cool the Bully is though... with the Bully all you need is to twist a couple of knobs until you hear what you like.  If you want to get it even better, take some measurements.  Ron mentioned using a Pocket Clio / REW, etc.  It's not necessary to spend $600+ on a "Pocket Clio" (although I would like to own one). Besides buying an inexpensive microphone to use with the free REW software, one could probably use this iPhone app to take simple measurements in their room.  I have not used it, but a friend has and he likes it.  Whether it's technically precisely measuring the exact frequency or not, what's needed is something that shows relative values across the range.  Just show me the peaks / valleys so I can twist some knobs.  A few measurements and a few knob twists and yer done. 

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audiotools-db-sound-audio/id325307477

fredgarvin

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jun 2024, 04:20 pm »
I really agree with Danny that Ron has one of the few places on Ytube where the audio is good enough to make comparisons and judgements on equipment.

jeffh

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jun 2024, 06:35 pm »
Yes the old A/V-3 and N3 models were a transmission line design.

Will we ever see an update to the N3?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 7 Jun 2024, 02:25 pm »
Will we ever see an update to the N3?

We would have to make a custom faceplate and or waveguide and deep back-cup as the original BG Neo3 PDRW units we used in those models are no longer available.
The other trick is sourcing stuffing that will work for the rear cup.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #25 on: 7 Jun 2024, 02:47 pm »
a reviewer should explicitly disclose in each product review his relationship with the

I am not sure on nature of the relationship but if there is a financial one it is actually an FTC requirement to disclose it.

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/disclosures-101-social-media-influencers#:~:text=Disclose%20when%20you%20have%20any%20financial%2C%20employment%2C%20personal%2C,got%20anything%20of%20value%20to%20mention%20a%20product.

Update. i went to the video... and with the comments he's making they would likely be considered endorsements and there is no disclosure for this relationship with gr research in close proximity to them. So that is likely something he should be adding whenever he does this.
Looks like he only puts the amazon endorsement disclosure. Probably an oversight that should be corrected.

https://youtu.be/uWu883ShzUg?si=4PvLXycwqfkeoD7w&t=173

Just an example that would get him into some trouble, imo.

(I am an online marketer that is why I pay attention to these things)

BrandonB

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jun 2024, 08:55 pm »
Is the Beast still in the plans?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 7 Jun 2024, 11:43 pm »
It is, but we have other projects that are currently in the works, and our cabinet guy is a bit overloaded with work at the moment, so we're trying to let him catch up.

BrandonB

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jun 2024, 04:54 am »
It is, but we have other projects that are currently in the works, and our cabinet guy is a bit overloaded with work at the moment, so we're trying to let him catch up.
Those things are gonna be massive and weigh a ton.  Better start hitting the gym..... :lol:

jmimac351

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jun 2024, 12:19 pm »
It is, but we have other projects that are currently in the works...

:popcorn:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 9 Jun 2024, 06:43 pm »
Those things are gonna be massive and weigh a ton.  Better start hitting the gym..... :lol:

The Bullies are ~99lbs so I imagine the Beast will likely be close to ~150lbs easy.

:popcorn:

I'm almost certain you saw one of the earlier prototypes when you were here.  :wink:

jmimac351

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jun 2024, 03:45 am »

I'm almost certain you saw one of the earlier prototypes when you were here.  :wink:

I need to sell some speakers. 

"The box that sounds like Open Baffle..."

Hints have already been shared on the You Tubes.

jmimac351

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jun 2024, 11:55 pm »
When I was at GR with Danny and Hobbs fooling with the Merlin VSM on the operating table, I went to take a picture of it and thought "I should probably throw a towel on top of that thing". 

Anyone curious should watch the latest video from Danny.  Pretty sure I see it in the background over his shoulder.  We'll see how much it costs, but my affinity for 2-way speakers is gonna need something for the rash again...  Or, is it technically a 3-way speaker? Hmmm... :wink:

This is good (fun) news.

See here --> https://youtu.be/eYMihmM81lI?si=UzhWd9YHr6jpLs6W

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jun 2024, 12:50 am »
When I was at GR with Danny and Hobbs fooling with the Merlin VSM on the operating table, I went to take a picture of it and thought "I should probably throw a towel on top of that thing". 

Anyone curious should watch the latest video from Danny.  Pretty sure I see it in the background over his shoulder.  We'll see how much it costs, but my affinity for 2-way speakers is gonna need something for the rash again...  Or, is it technically a 3-way speaker? Hmmm... :wink:

This is good (fun) news.

See here --> https://youtu.be/eYMihmM81lI?si=UzhWd9YHr6jpLs6W

It's a 2 way bookshelf with a 2nd driver on the back, & we're really happy with it's performance. :wink:

jmimac351

« Reply #34 on: 13 Jun 2024, 01:50 am »
It's a 2 way bookshelf with a 2nd driver on the back, & we're really happy with it's performance. :wink:

SWEET!

THIS --->  (Let play from this timestamp) https://youtu.be/DjS5JtoykHg?si=nJVoIAslypAA3VAP&t=1808

Denton J

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jun 2024, 08:29 pm »
The fact of the matter is, these speakers "speak" for themselves.  What's interesting if one is paying attention, something very close to the Bully has existed for some time.  If one looks at the measurements for the X-CS Bravo center channel, you'll see that ruler flat response.  Pair of couple of those with servo subs, and you have another take on this stuff.  I don't know what the math comes out to for that route, but I would just get the Bully and be done with it; however, if you wanted to progressively work up to something similar to the Bully, or didn't have the space for the Bully by itself...

And in an odd twist of Fate, your drive-by slap has generated something of relevance.  Nice goin'.

https://gr-research.com/product/x-cs-bravo/

X-CS Bravo Response:

You are correct.  The frequency response and spectral decay on the Bravo, X-CS Bravo, and Bully is so clean.  It definitely comes across when listening to in person.  Then you get to dial in those subs to your room.  With the Bully you get it in a nice pretty package.  I think when and if they come out with the Beast the Bully will sound just a tiny bit more refined.  The spectral decay on the Bravo is just a tad bit better.  The Beast will be able to shatter the windows while sounding pretty darn good at the same time.  You might even be able to take them outside and have a concert with the bigger drivers and extra sub woofer and added sensitivity.

I would be interested in finding out if there is an audible difference between the X CS Bravo and X CS Encore.  I understand the size difference, but in comparison to buying the Bully separates (X CS Bravo and a single boxed sub vs the X CS Encore paired with a box sub)?