Song tower or HT1

skiz6151

Song tower or HT1
« on: 14 Dec 2009, 07:54 pm »
I am in a small dilemma, I have been considering a Salk songtower for a very long time, for some reason the honey oak just screams to me. But for a past week I have also been considering the HT1, so I need you guys to help me choose which one would be better.

I will be using the speakers for movies, music and gaming. I'm sticking with 2.1 channels for now, funds are somewhat limited (already have a ED A5-350 sub). I am willing to spend a little more for the HT1 if it is better. If I do go the HT1 route which veneer should I choose? I'm not sure if honey oak will look just as good on HT1 as it does on the song tower.

I will probably go with a emotiva xpa-5 amp for my needs, just for future expansion.
Avr or pre/pro is still up in the air

I do not have dedicated listening or HT room, everything will be set up in my bedroom measuring 10'x20'x9' , so would it be better with the HT1 for the smaller footprint right?, but then the price of monitor stands have to come into play also.

Room treatment will come last, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need some bass traps

martyo

Re: Song tower or HT1
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2009, 08:08 pm »
Hi. There is also an HT1 Transmission line now too.

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2009, 08:14 pm »
I do not have dedicated listening or HT room, everything will be set up in my bedroom measuring 10'x20'x9' , so would it be better with the HT1 for the smaller footprint right?, but then the price of monitor stands have to come into play also.

By the time you put HT1's on stands, the footprint may be a little larger than with SongTowers.  The HT1-TL's would have a smaller foot print than the HT1's (depending, of course, on the footprint of the HT1's stands).

- Jim
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2009, 02:13 am by jsalk »

tgp06

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:15 pm »
Jim- What are the HT1-TL dimensions? I haven't seen them on these threads and don't see them on your site. Thanks.

skiz6151

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:35 pm »
Also what would be the pricing on the HT1-TL, I'm already stretching the budget to get the HT1's.

rlee8394

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2009, 01:23 am »
skiz6151,

Rod -

Pricing with a standard veneer is $2995 per pair.

- Jim

See this page, third post down:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72061.20

Ron

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2009, 04:12 pm »
tgp06 -

Jim- What are the HT1-TL dimensions? I haven't seen them on these threads and don't see them on your site. Thanks.

The cabinets are 9" wide, 10.5" deep and 42" tall.  Depending on the type of spikes used, the plinths will add about 2 1/2" with standard spikes and about 3 1/2" with the deluxe spikes that we would normally use on Veracity series speakers. When you consider that these are 4 1/2" shallower than a standard HT1, the footprint is actually smaller for the HT1-TL's.

- Jim

clipped

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2009, 05:04 pm »
Hello,
Just my two cents, save the money and go with the Towers. I think you will be very happy, I am :thumb:

skiz6151

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2009, 06:45 pm »
Hello,
Just my two cents, save the money and go with the Towers. I think you will be very happy, I am :thumb:

Yeah that's what I got from the other thread. HT1-TL is better but not by that much. The money I will save will be put into better use, guess I better get things ready  :green:, I'm already getting that tingly feeling (where's the goosebumps icon)

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2009, 01:35 pm »
Hi,

I haven't heard a pair of songtowers but it really depends on what you want to use the speakers for and the quality of your components.  The ht1's use a state a high quality ribbon tweeter and the seas midrange is used in quite expensive speakers.  On the other hand the songtowers have received really good feedback.

If you intend to use the speakers mainly for ht usage and won't be pairing them with high quality components it may be worth purchasing a pair of songtowers.

I have a pair of ht2's that use the lcy ribbon tweeter and 2 x seas excel mid/bass drivers.  My amplifier cost me $7500US and the speakers easily rise to the occasion.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards

Rod Gittos