Need input...

ThorsHammer

Re: Need input...
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jun 2008, 06:46 pm »
Thanks, that's about what I figured....only reason I hesitate to bring them forward into the room is because then I would only be seated about 8' away from them. Would that be a problem as far as being able to hear the whole detailed range of their output? My secondary position for them if they were in line with the rest of the av gear against the wall would be at either end...which would put them about 12' apart, 12" away from the wall but facing straight down the wall line on either end. Or, am I just way over thinking this, lol.

jsalk

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jun 2008, 12:21 pm »
ThorsHammer -

Thanks, that's about what I figured....only reason I hesitate to bring them forward into the room is because then I would only be seated about 8' away from them. Would that be a problem as far as being able to hear the whole detailed range of their output? My secondary position for them if they were in line with the rest of the av gear against the wall would be at either end...which would put them about 12' apart, 12" away from the wall but facing straight down the wall line on either end. Or, am I just way over thinking this, lol.

Due to their transmission line, the SongTowers (and our QW's) are about the most flexible rear-ported designs you are likely to come acrossin terms of placement.  They would likely work well in just about any of those set-ups.  But you would probably prefer one to the others in the end.  The best way to answer the question is to set a pair of in each setting and see what you like best.  Then let us all know.   :)

- Jim

AliG

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jun 2008, 12:37 pm »
Show conditions are the best way to evaluate gear, but everybody already knows that.

My comments were base don owning HT3's for 2+ years (I had one of the early pairs Jim built) and having the ST for getting close to a year now.

George

Zybar, just curious.  Do you no longer own the HT3s?  If not, why not?  I own the STs and love them.  But I would like to hear the HT3s one day.

Zybar is probably sicked of answering the same question over and over again :lol: :lol: Use the "search" button and you can read all Zybar posts in this forum.

The short answer is, he found something that he likes more than the HT3. He also went through quite a bit of gear-changes during the last two years.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 3 Jun 2008, 01:44 pm »
Show conditions are the best way to evaluate gear, but everybody already knows that.

My comments were base don owning HT3's for 2+ years (I had one of the early pairs Jim built) and having the ST for getting close to a year now.

George

Zybar, just curious.  Do you no longer own the HT3s?  If not, why not?  I own the STs and love them.  But I would like to hear the HT3s one day.

Zybar is probably sicked of answering the same question over and over again :lol: :lol: Use the "search" button and you can read all Zybar posts in this forum.

The short answer is, he found something that he likes more than the HT3. He also went through quite a bit of gear-changes during the last two years.

That earned you a beer at RMAF my friend!   :beer:

In terms of gear...lots has come in, but not enough has left!    :duh:

George

tgp06

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jun 2008, 02:25 pm »
ThorsHammer,
These are the easiest speakers I've ever set up...or I got real lucky! Maybe they're just real forgiving. I'm forced to temporarily live wih them in an unused bedroom while I finish the house. I unpacked them, my daughter & I plopped 'em down where they looked good (ended up 23" out from the front wall, a touch over 6' apart, about 4' from the side walls & slight toe in; 15-20 degrees, maybe). They haven't moved since, but they sound good where they are. Would they benefit from fine tuning? Probably, but I'll save that for the final setup (bigger room, correct wall, etc). There are no bass cancellation issues, which I fully expected from this setup, and the imaging is excellent (I'm seated about 8'-9' from the speakers).
Tom

bahorn1

« Reply #25 on: 3 Jun 2008, 03:33 pm »

George

Woops.  Sorry Zybar.  I don't keep up with this forum as much as AVS and only started surfing this forum in March when I ordered my STs. :oops:

ThorsHammer

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:47 pm »
Tom...that sounds almost exactly like my setup dimensions with the exception that mine will be closer to the rear wall. Thanks.

Have no idea why I'm Jonesing about any of this...JS was right, you just try them at the different locations and pick the best spot. I think these #%* renovations have made me gun shy...seems like every time I pull out my wallet to spend $2-$3 thousand, another $5 thousand flys out. I may be suffering from post improvement stress disorder.