STSC versus M7

tknx

STSC versus M7
« on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:24 pm »
Obviously comparing a 3-way monitor to a 2-way tower is difficult. Plus you give up the TL...

That being said, what is the end result difference?

Nuance

Re: STSC versus M7
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:51 pm »
The end result difference is better midrange resolution, a deeper and wider soundstage, better imaging and seemingly better instrument timbre (I realize the latter is highly room & recording dependent as well).  In short, it's a noticeably better speaker, but it's a hog so be sure to have plenty of power.  I also recommend crossing to a worthy subwoofer to fill in the bottom end.  On the cons side of things, it may not fill a large room as well as the TL tower.

JonnyFive

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2013, 06:35 pm »
I'm pretty cramped on space (depth is the issue) so these two choices, the STSC and M7 are at the top of my list.  I have a sub, so no worries on the lower end of things.  The insensitivity of the M7 worries me a bit, it's suggested power is 200-500wpc.  I've got a 200 wpc Emotiva so I'm right on the bottom end of that scale.  Any thoughts on that?

What I really want is a SS in the size of the STSC.  Maybe I could see if the SS 7 tower would fit, but I think it would be pushing it.  The right tower would sit in front of the sub and on the left tower in front of a radiator :/  So a shallow tower or a monitor would do best in my application.

saeyedoc

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2013, 06:38 pm »
STSC has a much smaller footprint than the M7 on a stand and is less sensitive to room placement issues.

JonnyFive

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2013, 07:01 pm »
STSC .... is less sensitive to room placement issues.

How so?

ricardojoa

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2013, 07:51 pm »
How so?

Most likely due to the TL design, but i dont know the specifics.
I actually have my ST very close to the wall and im suprised that it doesnt get to boomy from that while my rear ported booksheves bass gets accentuated the closer i put them against the wall.

saeyedoc

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2013, 08:31 pm »
How so?
Can't remember the specifics, I don't have my old emails from Jim. I suppose the front ported M7 wouldn't have placement issues with the front wall.

JonnyFive

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2013, 09:06 pm »
Most likely due to the TL design, but i dont know the specifics.
I actually have my ST very close to the wall and im suprised that it doesnt get to boomy from that while my rear ported booksheves bass gets accentuated the closer i put them against the wall.

I don't think boominess will be an issue in my application.  If I got STSC, I'll have to go front ported or it will be firing into the sub (and the sub will be firing right into its port).  If I go M7 the port will be up above the height of the subwoofer.  But on top of all this, I'll cross either of them over about 60hz to the sub, so boom shouldn't be a problem. 

That aside, when used with a sub as I intend, would there be any reason to opt for STSC over the M7 (assuming the difference in price doesn't matter).

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2013, 01:40 pm »
That aside, when used with a sub as I intend, would there be any reason to opt for STSC over the M7 (assuming the difference in price doesn't matter).

I'd only opt for the SC-ST's over the M7's if my amp was weak or I listened extremely loud (your amp will be just fine).  The towers will probably fill large space better, but since that doesn't apply to you I'd go with the M7's.  They are simply fantastic!

JonnyFive

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:23 pm »
I'd only opt for the SC-ST's over the M7's if my amp was weak or I listened extremely loud (your amp will be just fine).  The towers will probably fill large space better, but since that doesn't apply to you I'd go with the M7's.  They are simply fantastic!

I'd like to get into the SS line, otherwise upgrade-itis will hit too soon.  My main issue is space, on right is my sub (which I can move) on the left is a radiator (which I can't move, Lol).  So the issue is if I can fit a SS8 or SS7 tower on the left without it being too close to the heat from the radiator.  I'll post pics to see what everyone thinks.

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:31 pm »
^ Why not get the SoundScape M7?

JonnyFive

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2013, 02:43 pm »
^ Why not get the SoundScape M7?

A couple reasons.  In my living space the walkway is right next to the speakers, and people have to sit next to the left speaker.  Also, my gf wants a dog.  All of these factors make me really, really want to get away from a speaker mounted on a stand.  It'd be a shame to knock it over. 

Even though my current place is cramped, I don't know how long I'll be there.  I plan for my next house to have enough floor space for a full range tower. So I'd regret not getting a tower if I can afford it.

Lastly, I'd rather integrating a sub be an option, not a requirement, for music.  My current monitor/sub setup integrates "OK", but not as well as I'd like.  Moving the sub around to find the ideal spot is simply not an option in my living space.  I'd prefer to be able to hit direct mode for music and Audyssey for movies.

Am I crazy, or does that make sense?

Saturn94

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2013, 02:59 pm »
A couple reasons.  In my living space the walkway is right next to the speakers, and people have to sit next to the left speaker.  Also, my gf wants a dog.  All of these factors make me really, really want to get away from a speaker mounted on a stand.  It'd be a shame to knock it over. 

Even though my current place is cramped, I don't know how long I'll be there.  I plan for my next house to have enough floor space for a full range tower. So I'd regret not getting a tower if I can afford it.

Lastly, I'd rather integrating a sub be an option, not a requirement, for music.  My current monitor/sub setup integrates "OK", but not as well as I'd like.  Moving the sub around to find the ideal spot is simply not an option in my living space.  I'd prefer to be able to hit direct mode for music and Audyssey for movies.

You're crazy....LOL :lol:

But then again that adjective can be used for many of us in this "hobby". :thumb:

Seriously, though, I've found having setup options is a good thing. :D

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2013, 04:16 pm »

Ummm.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114686.0

JonnyFive

« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2013, 05:27 pm »
Ummm.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114686.0

I saw that SS7 tower as well. Very interesting and great finish, but once again...I'm then in the case where a subwoofer is required and I'd like it to be optional.

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:08 pm »

You aren't crazy - you just know what you want, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Good call.

JonnyFive

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:22 pm »
You aren't crazy - you just know what you want, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Good call.

Appreciate the support.  For some extra money (and waiting) now, I keep more options open in the future.  This will be better in the long run, and I'll never regret getting the SS8s (vs monitor or SS7).

Saturn94

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2013, 09:03 pm »

You're way too nice Nuance...I've actually met the guy. :green:

Just kidding Jon! :wink:

JonnyFive

« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2013, 02:00 pm »
You're way too nice Nuance...I've actually met the guy. :green:

Just kidding Jon! :wink:

Lol!!  Jerk!  And here I thought the Salk family was supposed to be nice.  :)  Haha, j/k.  Jim (saturn) is a great ambassador to the Salk family, without his help and listening to his HT2-TL's I wouldn't have decided on the SS8s. 

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2013, 09:48 pm »
Lol!!  Jerk!  And here I thought the Salk family was supposed to be nice.  :)  Haha, j/k.  Jim (saturn) is a great ambassador to the Salk family, without his help and listening to his HT2-TL's I wouldn't have decided on the SS8s.

Hehehe...we're good. :thumb:

I'll be the first one over when you get the SS8! :hyper: