Meet 7/30 richidoo's

richidoo

Meet 7/30 richidoo's
« on: 7 Jul 2011, 02:58 am »
In Cary near Holly Springs. 2pm. All AC members are welcome. PM for directions.

My system:
Troels Gravesen DTQWT-12
Manley 300B SEPP
Twisted Pear Buffalo 2 DAC
Clearaudio Concept TT
JPS wires
Acoustic treatment

Some excellent gear will be visiting too.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Meet 7/30 richidoo's
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2011, 11:14 am »
 :scratch:  I might come to this one. 

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2011, 01:14 pm »
Great Jason!! I'd love to meet you. PM sent
Rich

gprro

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2011, 09:03 am »
Sweet! I think I'd like to join this one. Have a Tranquility SE dac I could bring, older mac mini though. Trying to take it to audio advice to compare it to some other stuff on their 2010, not 100% sure it's working perfectly. Not playing nice with my better A/V pre. And my tube integrated needs new tubes.

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2011, 12:16 pm »
I will be in the area the whole week before that. Too bad I am leaving on Friday. I would like to check out those speakers.  Is there any good spots for an audiophile to check out in the RD area?

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2011, 02:11 pm »
Sweet! I think I'd like to join this one. Have a Tranquility SE dac I could bring, older mac mini though. Trying to take it to audio advice to compare it to some other stuff on their 2010, not 100% sure it's working perfectly. Not playing nice with my better A/V pre. And my tube integrated needs new tubes.

Great, I hope you can come. We have featured the Tranquility DAC at a previous meeting, and I would be leery of playing something that may not be healthy, but thanks for the offer. There will be some extremely nice DACs at the meet. PM me for directions when you decide for sure.

I will be in the area the whole week before that. Too bad I am leaving on Friday. I would like to check out those speakers.  Is there any good spots for an audiophile to check out in the RD area?

Sorry you can't make the party, I'm sure we would all enjoy meeting you. But if I'm not busy you can drop in for a listen while you are in town. While you're in Raleigh area you can visit Audio Advice, the major high end dealer in the Carolinas. They have just about everything, though it's not always setup to show the full potential. Also right up the street from them is The Analog Store, they have a nice demo of Quad 2905 with Manley tube electronics. Intelligent Electronics is on the other side of town in Cary, they have Parasound, Canton, Deftech, emphasis on HT, but they have some nice gear that plays music very well. Advanced Audio is another high end retail dealer in Cary, emphasizing stereo gear. I have heard some great gear in there, Revel, Mordant-Short. There are several other dealers working out of their home by appt. Moon Audio, The Home Theater Doc, others I can't remember them all.  Supposedly there is a dealer who specializes in turntables and has a great selection in stock, but I have not been there and don't know his name. Maybe someone can chime in. We are very blessed to have so many audio sellers in the Triangle. They are all experienced and full of great advice too. 
Rich

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2011, 02:56 pm »
Thanks Rich, you guys seem flush with cool spots. Any good used vinyl shops?  I am gonna be down there a bunch so need to keep out of trouble.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:07 pm »
 Man O Man wish I lived closer.  :green:

charles
SMA

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:59 pm »
Thanks Rich, you guys seem flush with cool spots. Any good used vinyl shops?  I am gonna be down there a bunch so need to keep out of trouble.

The two spots that I frequent in Charlotte to much are:
Manifest Records which is part of www.secondspin.com
6239 South Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28210
(704) 552-8448
http://www.manifestdisc.com/

and

LunchBox Records
1419-A Central Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28205
(704) 331-0788
http://www.lunchboxrecords.com/

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2011, 05:01 pm »
I hear that there are vinyl shops in Durham and Raleigh, but I have not been to either. I just upgraded my TT so I need to find those crack houses.  These are the ones that I have bookmarked to check out. But I've never been to them, so I don't know if they are any good.

http://nicepricebooksandrecords.com/
http://www.facebook.com/schoolkids
http://raleigh.citysearch.com/profile/6188809/raleigh_nc/mr_freeze_records.html
More in Durham: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=durham+record+shop

gprro

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2011, 06:34 pm »
Hey Sts9fan,
check these out, the first three are old school independent record store type places. I've seen some cool looking jazz at All Day records. And to continue the independent spirit of things, check out Motorco in Durham (usually a music venue) for lunch on Sundays. Bacon bloody marrys if you like, a nice food truck that is Korean Bbq/Mexican, special is Korean short rib tacos, quesidillas, pork belly taco, duck fat fried tater tots, free live band inside also. Last month it was a good jazz fusion band.

Bullcity Records in Durham- new shipments every week, most of the hot "indy" releases. They get some cool limited edition things.

All Day records in Carrboro- cool litte shop, mostly vinyl.

CD Alley in Chapel Hill, just back down the road from All Day. Havn't been in a while, but I think they're getting more vinyl now.

And surprisingly, Best Buy at Crabtree Valley. New vinyl, pretty good prices. I bought the Hendrix releases there on sale, new Johnny Cash, Dsotm,...

Rich,

I'll PM when sure, definitely want to make it. Yeah, I think my Tranquility is Ok, but probably not the time for testing it out..

The Analog Store! Never heard of it! I live in the area of audio advice, will have to check them out.

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:20 pm »
Nice. That should keep me busy for the few weeks I will be down there. Thanks guys.
Kris

mdconnelly

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2011, 07:46 pm »
OffBeat Music in Brightleaf Square in Durham has an ever growing selection of vinyl - both new and used.  It's a great little independent store that I absolutely love.   It's also an easy walk to  Schoolkids on 9th Street and NicePriceBooks a block away on Broad already mentioned by Rich.

All 3 within walking distance of my house - that's how I get my exercise!   

rahimlee54

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2011, 09:28 pm »
Rich where can I stash the wife for a few hours while if I can talk her into coming by.  Any good shopping and the like close by your place?

Thanks
Jared

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:52 pm »
Cary Towne Center Mall is the closest to my house, 10 miles away, indoor shopping, recently renovated with better stores, but not the fanciest shops. Ann Taylor, Macy's, Belk, Sears, etc.

Crabtree Mall is 20 miles away, a little fancier, Cheesecake factory, anchor stores, near 40 and 440.

Southpoint Mall is 30 miles away in Durham off 40. Fanciest of all with Apple Store, fancy restaurants, chic shops, yadayada. Indoor mall with outside shops on pedestrian streets too. Good people watching. If you are coming in on 40 then this would be my choice. This is where my wife and kids shop even though it is further drive. The mall is ~35 minutes from my house each way.

Triangle Town Center is also fancy and new, but way the hell out of your way Northeast of Raleigh.

You can look up their websites to see what stores they have.

There's nothing near my house except small food store plazas.

Glad you're coming Jared!

dflee

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:08 pm »
I'd like to come but will have to check with the boss.

Later
Don

weitrhino

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:01 pm »
Wow!  Not sure on that date yet, Rich because I think we have tentative plans to go to Myrtle.  But things can be fluid sometimes.  You haven't seen much of me for the last few months because I've been really busy.  I've lived in NC just under a year now but I think I've done something pretty cool for the area as a whole, if I must say so myself.  I posted this announcement in the Music circle but because so much of it revolves around the Carolinas it just seems right to include it here.  If you like stunningly great guitar players then I have your ticket!  I am Blue Mouth Promotions LLC.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95902.0

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2011, 03:36 pm »
richidoo

How many people are you expecting?

richidoo

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2011, 08:46 pm »
So far 12 have responded, but a few more regulars are expected. I would not be surprised if we top 20. I think we have enough, so the party is now sold out!

Looking forward to seeing everyone. If you missed this one, I'll do it again in the fall.

gprro

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2011, 09:33 pm »
I'm for sure in, though I had something going on that's now on the 29th. Still got room?