What Opera have you heard (or seen?) recently?

jimdgoulding

Re: What Opera have you heard (or seen?) recently?
« Reply #60 on: 16 Mar 2012, 01:44 am »
Just as soon as I finish Howard Hanson's Lament for Beowolf- orchestra and chorus (Mercury Living Presence)- I'll be spinning Callas, DiStefano, Gobbi and TOSCA with De Sabata conducting the La Scala Orchestra and Chorus (Angel).  :)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #61 on: 16 Mar 2012, 01:04 pm »
Enjoy the Tosca of all time.  I don't usually care for Callas' voice but she was born to sing Floria and her voice is in good form here in 1953.  Gobi's Te Deum is pulsating with obsessive lust,  Di Stefano sings beautifully as Mario and De Sabata can bring it with the best of them.  Critics, including Puccini himself, may deride his style as "lull and attack" but it suits perfectly in Tosca.   :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #62 on: 17 Mar 2012, 02:08 am »
Thanks, Rim, for your encouragement.  The TOSCA is magnificent, for mono.  Agree on Di Stefano.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #63 on: 7 Apr 2012, 08:49 pm »
Just lettin you know, Rim, that I finally got around to ordering the Decca Aida.  Should be here anyday.  Cheers

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 17 May 2012, 04:57 pm »
Jules Massenet's Werther by Washington National Opera at the Kennedy Center last Saturday.  It's the last one for this season.  I thought the conductor did a very good job with the orchestration.  You want to shake Werther by the shoulders to snap him out of his pathological love by the end of the opera.  Be that as it may, the roles were sung well and it was quite enjoyable. 

Berndt

« Reply #65 on: 7 Jun 2012, 06:10 pm »
Just saw "Kennedy in China" at the sf.
Fantastic. Best modern opera I have seen. I left the opera humming and contemplating. The sf production has brilliant art and set people, not to mention great casting. Amazing, must see.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 7 Jun 2012, 06:25 pm »
Just saw "Kennedy in China" at the sf.
Fantastic. Best modern opera I have seen. I left the opera humming and contemplating. The sf production has brilliant art and set people, not to mention great casting. Amazing, must see.

Be careful, Bill.  You are showing your political bias.   So you like Kennedy better than Nixon, eh? :lol:  I am jealous that you got to see "Nixon in China" in person first.  I have not seen that one.  I hope to see it some time. 

Berndt

« Reply #67 on: 7 Jun 2012, 06:34 pm »
OMG :o
DUH :duh:

Berndt

« Reply #68 on: 7 Jun 2012, 06:44 pm »
That is what I get for crowing about going to the opera. :cry:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 9 Oct 2012, 07:43 pm »
WNO's season premiere with Anna Bolena featuring Sondra Radvanovsky in the title role.  It was good and she has a lovely voice but she was a little off this night.  I attributed the "muddledness"  to her (and the orchestra's) inappropriate modulation but the post critique heard it as a rhythm issue.  It maybe a combination of both.  It still was a very good show and we enjoyed it immensely.  But such is the chance you take with live productions.  Also my series is the opening nights which typically is not the best performance but such is life.  You take what you can get.

Don Giovanni a week later was a good professional production without any glitches but also not inspiring any epiphany.  Thoroughly enjoyed the production but there was nothing surprising since I saw the same production in '07.   Opera finances are such that new productions are rare these days.  Opera Houses usually borrow from each other but this production is from right here -- just 5 years removed.  The Commendatore scene always seem abrupt to me dramatically and the whole aftermath of moral play is not necessary in my opinion.  We had a great time. 

sjg

• Steph's Record Sale
Met Live in HD Ades Tempest
« Reply #70 on: 29 Nov 2012, 12:41 pm »
This was highly enjoyable.  Wonderful singing from all the performers, challenging music, beautiful stage craft.  Highly recommended for those interested in hearing a contemporary opera.  One weakness as pointed out in the NYT review was the libretto filled with too many trite and forced rhymes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/arts/music/an-inspired-and-personal-tempest-makes-met-debut.html

Still it was a great night.  The only thing better would be to see/hear it live in NYC.

A few weeks ago I heard Ades conduct the BSO in one of his pieces, In Seven Days as part of a marvelous concert including Dawn Upshaw singing Sibelius Luonnotar, for soprano and orchestra; Kiril Gerstein playing the Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 1 & concluding with Sibelius  Symphony No. 6.  We were so taken with the whole night, we wanted more and decided to go see the Met Live in HD encore.

Wondering if anyone else here has seen/heard this opera and what they think?

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 29 Nov 2012, 09:02 pm »
I just saw a few scenes from the London Premier on YouTube.  What tough singing for Ariel.   :o

Contemporary compositions are hit and miss in my experience but it sounds like you had a good time.  I am sure Lepage made it an interesting production.  I was pretty impressed with his whole Ring Cycle.  I don't know much about Thomas Adès but I will be watching his progress. 

WNO is taking a different tack at presenting contemporary music.  They have Jerome Kern's Show Boat coming up in May.  Is it Opera or Broadway Musical?  I have seen Broadway productions.  It will be interesting to see if there will be any difference.

sjg

• Steph's Record Sale
« Reply #72 on: 4 Dec 2012, 10:09 pm »
woodsyi - thanks for mentioning the video of the Royal Opera Covent Garden Production.  It has a much sparser look than the Met's version.  I may pick up the recording as I find the music compelling.

Certainly the Musical is an off shoot of classic Opera.  I hope you enjoy that production. 

One great thing I wanted to mention about the theatre showing the Met Live in HD near me is that they have recently upgraded the sound system and it sounded pretty darn good.  Nothing offensive as I had experienced a few years back at the first live in HD showing I saw,  Domingo as baritone in Verdi's Simon Boccanegra.

avta

« Reply #73 on: 4 Dec 2012, 11:50 pm »
Went to the San Francisco Opera last Sat. and enjoyed Tosca. There was a fill in for Angela Gheorghiu ( Tosca ) who was " indisposed " Melody Moore was her name.  I didn't care for the tenor who sang Cavaradossi ( Massimo Giordano ) I thought he was a bit too throaty for me or at least that's what I call it. The scenery was beautiful however. All in all an enjoyable evening.

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #74 on: 17 Dec 2012, 08:39 pm »

1. Aida: Prelude   Maria Dragoni    4:13   
2. Aida: Act I: Se quel guerrier io fossi! ... Celeste Aida   Riccardo Ferrari    4:28   
3. Aida: Act I: Ritorna vincitor! ... I sacri nomi di padre, d'amante   Maria Dragoni    6:29   
4. Aida: Act I: Dance of the Priestesses   Riccardo Ferrari    2:39   
5. Aida: Act II: Dance of the Moorish Slaves   Maria Dragoni    1:45   
6. Aida: Act II: Sul del Nilo al sacro lido ... Numi, pieta del mio martir   Riccardo Ferrari    2:54   
7. Aida: Act II: Gloria all' Egitto   Maria Dragoni    3:19   
8. Aida: Act II. Grand March   Riccardo Ferrari    1:34   
9. Aida: Act II: Ballet Music   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    4:43   
10. Aida: Act II: Vieni, o guerrero vindice   Riccardo Ferrari    2:29   
11. Aida: Act III: Qui Radames verra! ... O patria mia   Maria Dragoni    6:23   
12. Aida: Act III: Ciel mio padre! ... Su dunque!   Riccardo Ferrari    5:08   
13. Aida: Act IV: L'Aborrita rivale a me sfuggia ... Gia i Sacerdoti   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    3:54   
14. Aida: Act IV: Die mie discolpe   Riccardo Ferrari   0:59   
15. Aida: Act IV: Morire! Ah, tu dei vivere   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    2:39   
16. Aida: Act IV: Chi ti salva, sciagurato   Riccardo Ferrari   0:36   
17. Aida: Act IV: E la morte un ben supremo   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    1:25   
18. Aida: Act IV: La fatal pietra ... Morir! si pura e bella   Riccardo Ferrari    6:07   
19. Aida: Act IV: O terra, addio; addio di vale di pianto   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    5:17   

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 21 Dec 2012, 03:12 pm »

1. Aida: Prelude   Maria Dragoni    4:13   
2. Aida: Act I: Se quel guerrier io fossi! ... Celeste Aida   Riccardo Ferrari    4:28   
3. Aida: Act I: Ritorna vincitor! ... I sacri nomi di padre, d'amante   Maria Dragoni    6:29   
4. Aida: Act I: Dance of the Priestesses   Riccardo Ferrari    2:39   
5. Aida: Act II: Dance of the Moorish Slaves   Maria Dragoni    1:45   
6. Aida: Act II: Sul del Nilo al sacro lido ... Numi, pieta del mio martir   Riccardo Ferrari    2:54   
7. Aida: Act II: Gloria all' Egitto   Maria Dragoni    3:19   
8. Aida: Act II. Grand March   Riccardo Ferrari    1:34   
9. Aida: Act II: Ballet Music   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    4:43   
10. Aida: Act II: Vieni, o guerrero vindice   Riccardo Ferrari    2:29   
11. Aida: Act III: Qui Radames verra! ... O patria mia   Maria Dragoni    6:23   
12. Aida: Act III: Ciel mio padre! ... Su dunque!   Riccardo Ferrari    5:08   
13. Aida: Act IV: L'Aborrita rivale a me sfuggia ... Gia i Sacerdoti   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    3:54   
14. Aida: Act IV: Die mie discolpe   Riccardo Ferrari   0:59   
15. Aida: Act IV: Morire! Ah, tu dei vivere   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    2:39   
16. Aida: Act IV: Chi ti salva, sciagurato   Riccardo Ferrari   0:36   
17. Aida: Act IV: E la morte un ben supremo   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    1:25   
18. Aida: Act IV: La fatal pietra ... Morir! si pura e bella   Riccardo Ferrari    6:07   
19. Aida: Act IV: O terra, addio; addio di vale di pianto   Francesco Ellero D' Artegna    5:17

It's glorious music for sure.  I am not familiar with the recording though.  How is it?

JBrahms

« Reply #76 on: 22 Jan 2013, 06:32 pm »
Just as soon as I finish Howard Hanson's Lament for Beowolf- orchestra and chorus (Mercury Living Presence)- I'll be spinning Callas, DiStefano, Gobbi and TOSCA with De Sabata conducting the La Scala Orchestra and Chorus (Angel).  :)

A great Tosca, maybe THE great Tosca.  Gobbi is terrifying.

soundbitten1

« Reply #77 on: 22 Jan 2013, 10:14 pm »
I've only seen one opera in my life .... 'The Marriage Of Figaro' at the Lincoln Center in NYC. It was surprisingly good and surprisingly long (over 3 hours).

SET Man

« Reply #78 on: 1 Feb 2014, 02:50 am »
Hey!

I'm off to see Met Opera's "L'Elisir d'Amore" tomorrow night at the Lincoln Center. This will be my third operas. It will be the last show of this opera this season. And it's feature Anna Netrebko, I've heard her name many times before and saw some short clips of her singing on TV. And that is one of the reason why I wanted to see this opera, because of her, to see and hear her live.

I will be sitting all the way up in the Family Circle pretty much in the middle. I've heard and read that up there is best for sound, but far for a good view. Well, I'm OK with that for best sound... not that I could afford mid orchestra roll anyway  :roll:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #79 on: 1 Feb 2014, 03:09 am »
This is an opera I was able to attend on a trip to London.  Austere by any standards, but this recording will involve you (at a modest volume level, ime, for an ambient stage and realistic location and size of the piano and singers) . . Britton's Turn of the Screw (Naxos).  I think Naxos is a budget label.  Sounds very transparent and believable to me, regardless.