Bourbon!!!!

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: Bourbon!!!!
« Reply #100 on: 18 Mar 2010, 06:44 pm »
I currently have at home bottles of George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, an experimental batch of 16 yr. bourbon from Buffalo Trace, and 20 year Pappy Van Winkle.  I have not opened the experimental bottle yet.

I still like the bottle of George T. Stagg the most because I typically drink alone.  It has the most character to me and it has a kick I enjoy when alone.  There have been nights I have chosen the William Larue Weller over the George T. Stagg due its sweeter taste and it being easier to relax with.  To me the Pappy Van Winkle tastes the most like an expensive bourbon.  It is 90 proof which is much less than the other two bottles described.  If I was drinking with company the Pappy Van Winkle is the bourbon I would share.

roscoeiii

« Reply #101 on: 18 Mar 2010, 06:50 pm »
Yeah, sharing the Stagg on an unsuspecting guest would not be a great idea. Though it is the pinnacle of bourbon for me. It just does things, and goes places that others don't. Sadly, didn't like this year's version as much as some of the previous ones. A little sweeter than I prefer this year.

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #102 on: 4 Sep 2010, 07:24 pm »
I was inspired to dust off my bottle of Blantons.  Took it with crushed ice.  Very nice, though I'm not a connoisseur.  I liked it so much that I bought another bottle as a gift for a co-worker.  Any thoughts about Blantons?

I'm not a big fan of most bourbon/whiskey but I do keep a bottle of Blantons in the freezer for special occasions as it reminds me of my favorite...Bushmills 16 yr old three cask  :thumb:

jazzcourier

« Reply #103 on: 4 Sep 2010, 11:31 pm »
I.W. Harper out of a paper bag while sitting in the back seat of a broken down car listening to Merle Haggard on the Eight Track. Right outside Bakersfield,too far to walk and too drunk to care.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #104 on: 7 Oct 2010, 09:01 pm »
My go-to bourbon is Woodford Reserve, but my budget leads to me buying Bulleit for normal consumption. If I splurge, I go for the Blantons.

jackman

« Reply #105 on: 7 Oct 2010, 09:30 pm »
My go-to bourbon is Woodford Reserve, but my budget leads to me buying Bulleit for normal consumption. If I splurge, I go for the Blantons.

I have not read every page of this thread but wanted to commend you on your choices, particularly the Woodford.  I've been to the facility (this was my line of work at one time) and have tasted lots of Bourbons (among other things) and Woodford is my favorite.  It's also the favorite of several of my friends who develop alcoholic beverages for a living.  Thankfully, I still get to work on alcoholic beverage development but mainly flavored items. 

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #106 on: 8 Oct 2010, 04:54 pm »
I have not read every page of this thread but wanted to commend you on your choices, particularly the Woodford.  I've been to the facility (this was my line of work at one time) and have tasted lots of Bourbons (among other things) and Woodford is my favorite.  It's also the favorite of several of my friends who develop alcoholic beverages for a living.  Thankfully, I still get to work on alcoholic beverage development but mainly flavored items.

Thanks for the kind words.  :D For the price, Bulleit is actually quite good. And I'm envious of your line of work. :beer:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #107 on: 8 Oct 2010, 09:13 pm »
I find that bourbons tend to vary over time, sometimes certain ones will be better than others, and other times vice-versa.  Lately Buffalo Trace has really been hitting it out of the park.  Pick one up and check it out.  The below statements are all IMO:

Best Overall Bourbon Straight:
George T. Stagg

Best Mixing Bourbon:
Maker's Mark

Best Inexpensive Straight Bourbon:
Woodford's Reserve

Best Current Bargain:
Buffalo Trace

LadyDog

« Reply #108 on: 3 Nov 2010, 02:35 am »
Wow, haven't viewed this thread in a while.  Not sure why not since Bourbon is pretty much all I drink. 

Tyson your last post hits home with me.  Pretty much nailed it for my tastes.  Hard to believe Maker's doesn't get much street cred around here. 

Best Overall Bourbon Straight:
George T. Stagg

Best Mixing Bourbon:
Maker's Mark

Best Inexpensive Straight Bourbon:
Woodford's Reserve

Best Current Bargain:
Buffalo Trace

Ericus Rex

« Reply #109 on: 9 Nov 2010, 09:39 pm »
I raise my glass to you, Daniel!

koyaan

« Reply #110 on: 20 Nov 2010, 03:09 am »
I've always been partial to Makers so I jumped on their "46" when I saw some rectenly. It was nice, but I really wasn't blown away.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #111 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:04 am »
I have long been a bourbon drinker and am a dedicated Woodford fan. I was standing in the bourbon section in a liquor store here one day a few years back and as I pondered whether or not to deviate from what was at that time my poison of choice ( Knob Creek ), I was looking at the tag on a bottle of Woodford Reserve. A man in a trenchcoat came up to me and said: " Sir ! Do not hesitate! You will NOT regret that decision !" and walked away. I took the Woodford's to the till and must say that I have not regretted that decision to this day...
It always amuses me when I see people in this thread referring to Woodford as an " inexpensive " bourbon...I live in Canada and the liquor is heavily taxed... U.S. Audiocircle members would take up temperance if they had to pay what I pay for a bottle of decent bourbon ( but I'm not bitter...).

D.

santacore

« Reply #112 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:54 pm »
As a recent convert to Bourbon, I've been really enjoying sampling the various offerings. My current favorites are Rowan's Creek and Black Maple Hill, neat or with a splash of water. For mixing, the current house favorite is Bulleit with ginger ale.

The Woodford Reserve is good stuff, but I prefer the others for the money.

roscoeiii

« Reply #113 on: 6 Feb 2011, 05:13 pm »
And while I was less of a fan of last year's Stagg (too sweet for my taste), this year's is perhaps my favorite ever. George T. Stagg I salute you.

But folks, do be careful with this one. It packs a mighty wallop.

santacore

« Reply #114 on: 8 Aug 2011, 11:50 pm »
Just got some Angel's Envy. http://www.angelsenvy.com/whiskey/

Great stuff from the hand of Lincoln Henderson. Really nice finish thanks to be aged in port barrels. Recommended!!!

Æ

« Reply #115 on: 29 Oct 2011, 04:50 am »
I like Bourbon, but my alcohol budget is limited, so I usually buy whatever is on sale. :(
Right now I'm drinking Ancient Age.
I personally don't like Jack Daniels, I seem to gravitate towards Ten High, probably no better than any other, but I can down it straight.

roscoeiii

« Reply #116 on: 29 Oct 2011, 02:12 pm »
On the inexpensive side of things, check out. Heaven Hill, JTS Brown (of The Hustler fame), and. Rittenhouse. I prefer thebonded 100 proof versions if you can find them.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #117 on: 29 Oct 2011, 05:00 pm »
The white label Dickel is good and cheap.  Last time I bought it was about $12 bottle...probably $30 now that bourbon is chic    :roll:

Agree with you on the JD.  Can't drink that crap straight up so why bother?

EthanH

« Reply #118 on: 12 Aug 2012, 11:26 pm »
Enjoyed some bourbon this weekend.  I like scotch and am new to bourbon.  In the past I thought bourbon was inferior to scotch because all I would taste is vanilla, maple/corn syrup, oak, and perhaps some charcoal, but I realize now I just haven't tried any bourbon that I like.  Here are my thoughts on a few:

Four Roses Small Batch - I really liked this.  I thought it  was very well balanced for a bourbon and had a good mouthfeel.  Vanilla, oak, dulce de leche, spice, and even a bit of smoke.  Overall I would say it's on par with many single malts you can get at the ~$40 price point, making it a great value.  Smooth and velvety goodness.

Woodford Reserve - This stuff is syrupy, has some nutmeg, vanilla, and cinnamon spice, and charcoal.  A chewy, decent bourbon that you can get at most any bar and is much better, in my opinion, than maker's mark or the other widely available bourbons that I've tried (for instance, beam, knob, and, though not a bourbon, jack daniels).

Bakers - Good stuff.  Big oak, maple syrup, and spice, with vanilla and char present as well.  More bold than Four Roses SB but not as balanced, imo.  I like this more than Woodford but less than Four Roses SB.

Bulleit Rye - can't say I cared much for this.  It had a very prominent peppermint zing to it that was really unusual and interesting, along with herbal notes that I haven't found in any whiskey, American or otherwise.  Otherwise, I just thought it had a thin mouthfeel and the alcohol was more prominent than I like.

Pritchard's Double Chocolate - This stuff is pretty awesome.  The nose is big cocoa - not milk chocolate, but dark, delicious cocoa.  It's a well balanced bourbon though, and the cocoa recedes into the background on the palate, which is otherwise dominated by burnt sugar, oak, spice, and white chocolate.  Finishes dry with cocoa and char.  I want to clarify that this stuff is most definitely not a liqueur, and you will know that it's bourbon on your palate - however, it has big, beautiful cocoa nose that is unlike any other whiskey that I've tried.  A very interesting whiskey, and while I perhaps couldn't sip this all night like Four Roses SB, it definitely deserves a spot in my cabinet.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #119 on: 13 Aug 2012, 12:10 am »
Speaking of Bulliet Rye, it makes a great base for a Manhattan.  The spiciness balances the sweet vermouth very nicely.