New drivers are here.

Danny Richie

New drivers are here.
« on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:24 pm »
Okay, new 8 ohm and 16 ohm production models have arrived.

These have been over a year in development. Nothing on the market like these currently exists. These were designed to be used as mid-bass drivers in open baffle applications and can also be used in sealed or ported cabinets.

These new woofers have a push pull motor design that uses a Neodymium magnet on the pole piece and a ceramic magnet on the top plate. They have Copper shorting rings and an Aluminum phase plug. And phase plug, back plate, and top plate are all Copper anodized. The voice coil is a large 44mm. The cones are paper of coarse and play smoothly into the upper ranges with no break up or ringing. And non-resonant polymer frames of course. There is no better frame.

8 ohm version T/S parameters:

Fs - 51.7Hz
Re - 5.49
Qms - 11.07
Qes - .58
Qts - .55
L1 - .12 mH
L2 - .50 mH
Vas - 19.07 liters
Mms - 13.1 grams
Cms - .723 mm/N
Bl - 6.35
Spl - 88.4db

16 ohm version:

Fs - 57.0Hz
Re - 12.70
Qms - 8.96
Qes - .72
Qts - .67
L1 - .17 mH
L2 - .83 mH
Vas - 16.48 liters
Mms - 12.36 grams
Cms - .624 mm/N
Bl - 8.86
Spl - 88.2db

Price is $109 each.

Now I can start working on some new X-Series designs.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2012, 03:06 pm by Danny Richie »

SoCalWJS

Re: New drivers are here.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:32 pm »
Nice lookin'driver....does this mean the X-Otica will begin?

pureiso

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:37 pm »
Those look really nice. 

I still hope you come up with an upgrade for the X-Statiks using these in the midrange.  I would definitely be excited for that.

It will be a couple years before my wife would agree to me buying new speakers.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:39 pm »
How do they sound compared to the current drivers you sell?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:45 pm »
Nice lookin'driver....does this mean the X-Otica will begin?

Yep.

How do they sound compared to the current drivers you sell?

The samples sounded great. Now it'time to see what I can do with them and just how good they can be.

jcotner

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2012, 05:45 am »
Sorry about the earlier post, I missed the price amoungst the specs,
so just one question.

Are these the speakers you had cut apart you were showing me in August?
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2012, 07:10 am by jcotner »

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2012, 05:57 am »
Nice, but at over $100 each, they'll be great for 2-ways and MTM's but a large line source , say 10 per side, that's a prohibative cost.  With the skyrocketing cost of neodymium in China, driver mfgrs are going back to other magnet types.  Also, eliminating the copper plating of the back and front plates will lower the costs - if I built a LA, I would not care if copper was showing on the rear of the baffle.  Just my 1.5 cents observation.   What is the Xmax?
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2012, 08:24 am by Hank »

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2012, 07:51 am »
What size are these, sorry if I missed it?

Actually, what size are the M130 and M165 too? Maybe I missed that as well but I can't see it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2012, 02:58 pm »
Are these the speakers you had cut apart you were showing me in August?

Those were rejected samples that you saw.

Nice, but at over $100 each, they'll be great for 2-ways and MTM's but a large line source , say 10 per side, that's a prohibative cost.

They are still about half the price of the drivers that they will be compared with from Seas, Scan Speak, etc.

I already have ideal woofers for line sources with the drivers that I had mad for the LS-6's and LS-9's. And they all have cropped frames for close stacking.

And usable X-Max is 4.5 mm.

What size are these, sorry if I missed it?

Actually, what size are the M130 and M165 too? Maybe I missed that as well but I can't see it.

These are 165 mm. The M130 are 130 mm (5,25") and the other M165 drivers are of course 165 mm (6.5").

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2012, 03:08 pm »
  Looking good Danny. great price.

charles

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2012, 04:06 pm »
I already have ideal woofers for line sources with the drivers that I had mad for the LS-6's and LS-9's. And they all have cropped frames for close stacking.

I think Hank was thinking out loud about using these new ones in an open baffle array?  Would the LS woofers work for that application as well or would you/are you working on something different?

Awesome to see the new drivers done and ready!  Are the wave guided OB tweeters ready to go too?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2012, 04:37 pm »
I think Hank was thinking out loud about using these new ones in an open baffle array?  Would the LS woofers work for that application as well or would you/are you working on something different?

The LS woofers aren't designed for open baffles like these new ones. The new M165NQ drivers will work in an open baffle line array but need something else to handle the first octave or two. So it would be a pretty large three-way array.

Are the wave guided OB tweeters ready to go too?

The wave guided tweeters aren't going to be open baffle. And they have been finalized I jut need to get them produced now. They will be made here in the US though so it won't take long.

mykyll2727

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2012, 05:50 pm »
Danny,

Do you have any plans to have these made in the 130mm size?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2012, 06:01 pm »
Danny,

Do you have any plans to have these made in the 130mm size?

Not right now.

Ed VB

« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2012, 08:03 pm »

Hi Danny

Here is my current setup with the two 15" Rythmik subs under the AV2's and a center AV2 below the Panny 65VT30 that is extended about 6 feet from the corner wall. The Surround are two AV2's and a single AV1 for the rear.

I would like to go up a level with a change to the front and center speakers and leaving the AV2's for the surrounds and and changing the AV1 to a AV2 for the rear surround.

Will one of your new designs work for this configuration as a MTM for the fronts and something a little different for the center? I have a Parasound HCA-1205A amp and a Marantz AV7005 as a Pre-Pro. Any help for the best bang for the buck is appreciated.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2012, 09:47 pm »
Any help for the best bang for the buck is appreciated.

I have some X-Voce's in stock fully assembled. I also have a great deal on matching X-Statik kits.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2012, 03:27 am »
Hi Danny,

You had mentioned designing a sealed tower speaker with a mtm configuration and your 12" servo sub, side firing. I am planning on building that type of speaker only visually different and have a couple of questions.

1) When using your new midwoofers in a mtm design, can I put each speaker in its own sealed box and then have the tweeter separate in between?

2) I'm also wondering about having more than two midwoofers for each speaker. Do I need to have an even number of speakers in an mtm design such as one on each side of the tweeter or two on each side of the tweeter? And could I use more than two of your mid woofers with a 12" server sub for this type of design?

What I'm thinking of doing is building a servo sub with a slightly different shape and then mounting the midwoofers and tweeter all separated in their own sealed box's and mounting them close together using some type of designer post supports. Basically something like what I've seen with subwoofer horn configurations. I'm just looking to build something modern looking and outside your typical design without compromising the sound. 

Thanks,

Greg

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2012, 03:41 am »
1) When using your new midwoofers in a mtm design, can I put each speaker in its own sealed box and then have the tweeter separate in between?

Not practical. Each of the 16 ohm woofers need an optimal sealed air space of 1.2 cubic feet. And if they are playing the same range together then there is no reason that they cannot share the same air space.

2) I'm also wondering about having more than two midwoofers for each speaker. Do I need to have an even number of speakers in an mtm design such as one on each side of the tweeter or two on each side of the tweeter? And could I use more than two of your mid woofers with a 12" server sub for this type of design?

You can do a MMTMM with the 8 ohm woofers in a series/parallel configuration. However with the acoustic centers that far apart the crossover point to the tweeter has to get much lower. That can be a real stretch.

If you use an odd number then it shifts the acoustic centers to one end or the other.

If you use two in an MTM configuration and add a servo sub to the mix that will be a really good combo. And that is easy.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2012, 04:05 am »
Thanks Danny,

In regards to question #1, Putting being practical aside and realizing they could go in one enclosure, if I build each box 1.2 cubic ft. and make them a "just wide enough square" with the proper depth, would I be compromising sound quality in any way?

Also, is there any problem with building the subwoofer box just wide enough to go around the driver and adjust in the depth?

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2012, 04:44 am »
In regards to question #1, Putting being practical aside and realizing they could go in one enclosure, if I build each box 1.2 cubic ft. and make them a "just wide enough square" with the proper depth, would I be compromising sound quality in any way?

Sure, no problem, but that box would be about 4 feet deep.

Also, is there any problem with building the subwoofer box just wide enough to go around the driver and adjust in the depth?

Yeah, you can do that.