Harry Dean Stanton Passed Away

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Harry Dean Stanton Passed Away
« on: 16 Sep 2017, 03:50 am »
Harry Dean Stanton 14July1926-15Sep2017 at 91yo he had a long career in cinema.
RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wj_kvQk9Q4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuu7r9imtw

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Harry Dean Stanton Passed Away
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2017, 05:29 am »
Clearly he was one of the great character actors in Hollywood. And like many of the greats, there is no one really like him. 
I went back and watched "7 Psychopaths" tonight in his honor.  I've put "Paris, Texas" on my Netflix cue- maybe his only lead role.  His understated, somewhat creepy demeaner stole so many scenes through the years. 
Think I'll go watch "Aliens" again. 

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2017, 06:30 am »
His portrayal of Travis in Paris Texas is the defining Harry Dean Stanton for me, but also from 1984, I cannot imagine Repo Man working without him. An let's not forget one of the best Two and a Half Men Episodes "Back Off Mary Poppins".

bummrush

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2017, 02:17 pm »
Rip

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2017, 03:58 pm »
His portrayal of Travis in Paris Texas is the defining Harry Dean Stanton for me, but also from 1984, I cannot imagine Repo Man working without him. An let's not forget one of the best Two and a Half Men Episodes "Back Off Mary Poppins".

Repo Man +1. He was truly a hoot in this one. One of only a handful of DVD's I own.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2017, 09:17 pm »
Repo Man +1. He was truly a hoot in this one. One of only a handful of DVD's I own.

+1 on Repo Man. As noted an understated talent who always stood out in whatever supporting role he took on. Sad news. RIP

who?me?

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2017, 11:49 pm »
+1 on Repo Man. As noted an understated talent who always stood out in whatever supporting role he took on. Sad news. RIP

He was so good. One thing I liked the NYT/New York Times tribute article today was them saying that he "would never get confused with the leading actor". True, his strength were the peculiar support roles he played that allowed the lead actors to look good.

But they never mentioned his role in Lynch's "Wild at Heart". One of his most memorable roles for me.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2017, 12:38 am »
I heard the following story from a cinema expert guy: it was a play with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau, Walter representing a beggar and Lemmon play a stylish elegant character.

At the end of the play some people from the audience were interviewed, Jack was highly praised for his performance and was called a very good actor, while Walther Matthau was called a beggar, people thought he was a real beggar.

Harry was a actor like Walter Matthau, he dont play the character, he really was the character.
Harry was one of the great.
RIP