BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jun 2016, 06:18 am »
If you have any other services running on your NAS, perhaps they are competing for resources?

Marius

« Reply #41 on: 30 Jun 2016, 06:24 am »
If you have any other services running on your NAS, perhaps they are competing for resources?

Next to Roon server, Plex server and Minim server are running, and Cloud Sync, but system resources seem alright:

Cheers,
Marius

RonCH

« Reply #42 on: 30 Jun 2016, 08:07 am »
hmm, you have a lot more RAM than I do. Are you using HDD or SSD drives? Is the 1512+ 32bit or 64bit?

Thanks

The 1512+ runs a 64 bit 2.13GHz Intel Atom D2700.  I run HDDs. 

I have no problems with drop outs.  If the Roons forums are anything to go by then lots of people have Roon Server successfully running on Synology NASs.     

Is your NAS swapping?  Take a look at  https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/ResourceMonitor/rsrcmonitor

In particular: 

Memory

The overall memory usage of physical memory and swap space will be shown. Memory usage remains high because the system stores frequently accessed data in cache, so the data can be quickly obtained without accessing the hard disk. Cache memory will be released when overall memory is insufficient.

High swap space usage indicates insufficient system memory, and will also affect the system performance. You can view the rate of swap in and swap out by choosing Swap from the drop-down menu on the top.

It your NAS is swapping ( using Swap space ), then I'd say you need more physical RAM. 

regards

Ron

Marius

« Reply #43 on: 30 Jun 2016, 08:18 am »

My NAs is constantly round 80% memory usage at the moment, it is updating RoonServer database. Roon takes about 340MB of the 1 Gb. Swapping is quite modest, so no worries there. Ive ordered the 2 Gb extra memory, hope to install those soon. Maybe that will relieve the NAS form some memory stress ;-)

For the moment, Roon is inaccessible while updating, no idea of any progress being made though.

Cheers,Marius

I have no problems with drop outs.  If the Roons forums are anything to go by then lots of people have Roon Server successfully running on Synology NASs.     

Is your NAS swapping?  Take a look at  https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/ResourceMonitor/rsrcmonitor

In particular: 

Memory

The overall memory usage of physical memory and swap space will be shown. Memory usage remains high because the system stores frequently accessed data in cache, so the data can be quickly obtained without accessing the hard disk. Cache memory will be released when overall memory is insufficient.

High swap space usage indicates insufficient system memory, and will also affect the system performance. You can view the rate of swap in and swap out by choosing Swap from the drop-down menu on the top.

It your NAS is swapping ( using Swap space ), then I'd say you need more physical RAM. 

regards

Ron

Marius

« Reply #44 on: 30 Jun 2016, 10:05 am »
Give it a couple days and the BDP should show as certified.  Correct, only one audio playback service can run at a time.

well, here we go, it's official!

looking kinda nice, a recognizable BDP:

Congrats Team Bryston!
Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #45 on: 30 Jun 2016, 10:13 am »

I suspect that to be the case indeed. I'll wait for the indexing to finish and my SSD and extra system memory to arrive for final judgement ;)

Yes... you should wait for both IMPORT and ANALYZING (see: Setup tab) to complete before troubleshooting any drop-outs. With a large collection, this will take some time.

Marius

« Reply #46 on: 30 Jun 2016, 10:28 am »
Yes... you should wait for both IMPORT and ANALYZING (see: Setup tab) to complete before troubleshooting any drop-outs. With a large collection, this will take some time.

Didnt notice the Analyzing before, thanks, ill check that.

My SSD just arrived, and i decided it 'd be best to start afresh, in the new version the latest Roon creates. Building the new database as we speak. Seems faster already in creating it, thought that might be expectational bias ;-)

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #47 on: 30 Jun 2016, 10:33 am »
Not exactly clear on the difference between Built-in output and system output. Is there a difference on a computer between the two? :scratch:
Roon/Settings/Audio/connected to this Mac     

Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #48 on: 30 Jun 2016, 12:32 pm »
Not exactly clear on the difference between Built-in output and system output. Is there a difference on a computer between the two? :scratch:
Roon/Settings/Audio/connected to this Mac     

Marius

Yes. Built-in on a Mac is the headphone jack or built-in speakers. System Output is whatever is configured to play back "Sound" output. See AudioMidi app for more details.

Marius

« Reply #49 on: 30 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm »
Yes. Built-in on a Mac is the headphone jack or built-in speakers. System Output is whatever is configured to play back "Sound" output. See AudioMidi app for more details.

Ok thanks,
Most of the time I've got my Built-in output set as System output...

Just received a response from Roon support also, Vova in this same matter, worded similarly:

Built-in output - is the sound card which is built into your machine
System output - is the device which is set as a default output in your system

I guess they can be set to Private on each device, since it won't be of any use to control these from another device?

kind of nice to be able to play your 'Bryston' library on the Mac, a request i did here some time ago but never materialized. Before i used Plex to do so. Now we've got Roon todo that too, and easily switch outputs from within the same interface. That definitely is a Plus.

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #50 on: 30 Jun 2016, 02:14 pm »
Quick note on Roon Playback.

Things are working well; very smooth, even with 192/24 tracks over my wireless bridge into the BDP-1. No dropouts, whatsoever, with smooth gapless playback - all issues I had with the original RAAT beta.

The display: the Artists name is cropped if it contains more than one word. For example: "Steve Roach" displays as "Steve". When the track changes you can briefly see "Steve Roach" appear in the display and then "Roach" is wiped with blank chars leaving only "Steve".

Otherwise, appears to be a great port of Roon into the BDP-1. Well done, Bryston!
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2016, 09:19 am by Krutsch »

Marius

« Reply #51 on: 30 Jun 2016, 02:20 pm »
HI Ken,

yes, progress was definitely made.
Is your server on a nas, or a dedicated computer?
And, are your music files attached to the BDP, or elsewhere? All aspect that seem to matter...

Cheers,
Marius

Quick note on Roon Playback.

Things are working well; very smooth, even with 192/24 tracks over my wireless bridge into the BDP-1. No dropouts, whatsoever, with smooth gapless playback - all issues I had with the original RAAT beta.

The display: the Artists name is cropped if it contains more than one word. For example: "Steve Roach" displays as "Steve". When the track changes you can briefly see "Steve Roach" appear in the display and then "Roach" is wiped with blank chars leaving only "Steve".

Otherwise, appears to be a great port of Roon into the BDP-1. Well done, Bryston!

Krutsch

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jun 2016, 02:49 pm »

Is your server on a nas, or a dedicated computer?
And, are your music files attached to the BDP, or elsewhere? All aspect that seem to matter...

RoonServer is running on a Mac Mini (Mid 2011), running El Capitan (10.11.5) w/ 8 GB RAM and booting from an external FW800 SSD (I find this part important with Roon, which needs a fast drive for it's database, et al.).

The music files are my iTunes library on a WD MyCloud mounted via SMB, connected to the same Ethernet switch as the Mac Mini. The BDP-1 is on the end of an Airport Express as a wireless bridge.

I've setup RoonServer to "watch" the iTunes/iTunes Media/Music folder, as opposed to mounting as an "iTunes Library", which I've had challenges with in the past. I use "Playlist Export" (see Apple App Store for Mac) to export selected iTunes playlists as M3U files into a folder located within the same watched folder. RoonServer picks these up, automatically, and add them to my library.

Note: I've worked around the latest Mac OS X issues with SMB by manually disabling SMB 3 signing, which was killing performance on NAS shares (well documented on Apple's support site).

Marius

« Reply #53 on: 30 Jun 2016, 03:05 pm »

Note: I've worked around the latest Mac OS X issues with SMB by manually disabling SMB 3 signing, which was killing performance on NAS shares (well documented on Apple's support site).

Could you please provide a link for this? I thought i never had issues, but now you mention performance on NAs shares, i remember some slower than expected file transfers ...

Marius

« Reply #54 on: 30 Jun 2016, 03:39 pm »
im having doubts about setting Roon Server up most user friendly and powerful.

My Nas is available to all devices in the house, and therefor should be the optimal place to hold the server and at least the library. It is there already as a backup for the BDP
attached drives, so thats easy. Unfortunately it isn't powerful enough to run the server software optimally, and a dedicated computer would be more appropriate. Connecting to the NAS for the library.
Or, to the Hdd's connected to the BDP. Would that cut the chain short from files to endpoint? (not sure what goes where in the path, but i suspect the music to go to RoonServer first, and then to the endpoint. So using the BDP attached drives seems a bit too complex..)

For now i feel a dedicated always on computer is a bit beyond my spending priorities, so setting it up on one of my Macbooks could be an option, with the downside of availability when closed after work ;)

a spanking new my cloud pro could do the trick probably ;) with the added plus of finally being able to stream Plex movies without hiccups.
(hope we don't need dedicated machines for all services.....)

Choices, choices.
What are yours, fellow Ac'ers?

Cheers,
Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #55 on: 30 Jun 2016, 04:25 pm »

In particular: 

Memory

regards

Ron

Thanks, I'm at work now so can't check my NAS. My DS415play is only 32 bit and fixed a 1GB of memory, this model doesn't allow for upgrading the memory unfortunately.

srb

« Reply #56 on: 30 Jun 2016, 04:42 pm »
If the Roons forums are anything to go by then lots of people have Roon Server successfully running on Synology NASs.

My DS415play is only 32 bit and fixed a 1GB of memory, this model doesn't allow for upgrading the memory unfortunately.

Although there is a Windows 32-bit version, Roon Server versions for Linux, QNAP and Synology are all 64-bit, so it couldn't be installed on the DS415play even if it had more memory.

Steve

Rod_S

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jun 2016, 04:52 pm »
Gotcha, thanks. This saves me a lot of time then messing around over the weekend trying things out only to find out it can't be done with my model.

Krutsch

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jun 2016, 05:17 pm »

Could you please provide a link for this? I thought i never had issues, but now you mention performance on NAs shares, i remember some slower than expected file transfers ...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/30379233

CraigS720

« Reply #59 on: 30 Jun 2016, 09:50 pm »
I downloaded Roon and after some trial and error I got it running. The reason I had a problem is not no audio comes out of the AES connection, which I prefer, just the sub out to the dac. Is that the way it is supposed to operate?

I am using a bdp-2 with attached hard drive. Mac OSX.

Initial thought is that this is a pretty expensive way to play my tunes. But we'll give it its two month trial.

Thanks.

Craig