"Progressive illness" with my mobile audio

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
"Progressive illness" with my mobile audio
« on: 3 May 2012, 08:12 pm »
I have a 2001 acura rsx that I use for commuter car. I had the stereo installed soon after I bought it.

It was a Nakamichi head unit, some CDT audio separates with tweeter in dash and mid's in doors, powered by a PPi amp in the hatch/trunk. There was a sub amp from Zapco for a single sealed 12.

I had only the front speakers powered by the amp, but they left the rears fed by the head unit.

Now it was pretty good for several years. But a few years ago I started having problems. I haven't been able to figure out what is going on.

A) The sound would go out, where there was nothing, except for the rears, connected to the head unit.
B) Or one side would go out
C) Or one or both sides would have something that sounded like distortion/static/clipping.

Fooling around wiht it, I thought I solved it at one point by installing a relay. Then I thought I fixed it again by replacing the PPI amp with another one. (very bad decision, I destroyed the PPI to have a look inside... and it turned out to not have been the issue)

So I thought I would need to get new speakers, I tried running some other little bookshelf speakers from the amp, and they seemed fine. I tried a different source (my ipod) to the amp,  but that showed the problem too 
But I think if it was the speakers, it would always be bad. Not something intermittent...

What do you guys think?