Song bird or Song surrounds

steelheart1948

Song bird or Song surrounds
« on: 8 Mar 2013, 09:22 pm »
What are the advantages/disadvantages of each for use as surrounds in a 5.1 home theater system? 

benguin

Re: Song bird or Song surrounds
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2013, 08:01 pm »
Steel- I haven't had a chance to hear the SongBird, but I've got to think the TL design would offer an excellent sound.

I do have SongSurround I's that I am using with my SS8's.  Jim had suggested I would be very satisfied with these, and I am.   When I read your question, I decided to hook up the SongSurrounds as my mains and see how they sounded.  Frankly, they were excellent by themselves.  With the Rythmik sub, even better.  For me, I could be very satisfied using them on their own long term. 

I would say that if you would like a floor standing speaker, the SongBird would be a great choice.  If you are looking for something smaller, or for bracket mounting the SS1 is a deal.

I'm sure some of the regulars who have heard both will have some good insight, as would Jim once he is back from AXPONA. 
  -Ben

Gzerro

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2013, 08:03 pm »
Song Surrounds- Less expensive, don't play as deep in bass, need stands.

Songbirds - More expensive, deeper bass, compact footprint.

They sound pretty much the same other than bass. If you are using a sub it is really more of a question of looks, they will sound the same.

This info was per Jim when I was considering which to use for surrounds in my system

steelheart1948

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2013, 01:36 am »

Thank you both.  Seems like a win, win situation.   :)