Your journey to or away from PMC

Sasha

Your journey to or away from PMC
« on: 9 Jan 2010, 03:48 pm »
I would like to hear your experience, if you own or owned larger 3-way PMCs, what were the speakers you owned prior to PMC, what you went to after PMC, what is was, and what were the reasons for either?

jethro

Re: Your journey to or away from PMC
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2010, 04:20 pm »
I went from B&W 604S2's to IB-1s. I could never get my B&W sub integrated with the 604's and I
felt I needed to buy full-range speakers. I bought the IB-1's listen-unheard from James, based on their reviews and their association with Bryston.  I wasn't prepared for the improvements in the treble and midrange that came with the IB-1's. I added the IB-1 center shortly after.  I listen to some 2-channel recorded music in 5.1 because the additional bass and fill-in from the IB-1 center is just phenomenal. The 5.1 conversion sometimes does some strange things to 2-channel so I find it's not appropriate for all music. I probably need to tweak my setup a bit so I don't feel the need for the IB-1 center during 2-channel playback, or if I win a lottery go with the MB-2's or BB5's. I haven't been tempted away from PMC by any other manufacturer.

SFOX

Re: Your journey to or away from PMC
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2010, 01:39 am »
I went with PMC IB1-S with 4B-ST in 2001 from Celestion SL-700 SE (1990 vintage) with 3B as I wanted speakers that had 'synergy' with Bryston amplifiers