Player can't play CD after continuous hours of playing

audiorook72

• Virtue Amp-ed and loving it....
Hi,

I have my 20 years old onkyo CD player hooked to my TWO.2.  Put the CD on repeat to play continuously for more than 3 hours.  After the continuous play, if I change to another disc, the player would not be able to recognize the CD and 'spit' out any other disc I put it.

A repairman changed out the regulator, but seems the problem is not solved. Now he thinks it could be transformer or even servo IC problem.

Anyone has such encounter as well? Any solutions??

Thank you

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Player can't play CD after continuous hours of playing
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2011, 03:10 pm »
  After 20 years sounds like the laser assembly might have just run its course. They do have a lifespan. With the amount CDP's out there it is time for a new one or replace the laser if available. Good luck.

charles
SMA

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2011, 03:15 pm »
Virtue has a couple Piano M1's left before they may run out indefinitely, I'd suggest calling them Now!!!

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2011, 03:33 pm »
audiorook72,

I am sorry to hear your Onkyo CD player has failed.  I think it is time to retire it.  I am normally a frugal person but when it comes to dated equipment where the problem(s) cannot be adequately diagnosed and solved I just see a money pit.

There have been so many improvements in digital playback in 20 years I think you may find using a newer player is like getting an entirely new system.

Tell us what your budget is and what the rest of your system is and your musical taste and I am sure the fine people on Audio Circle will have numerous recommendations for new and used replacements.   The Circle you posted on is quite telling. Come on, you know you want a new player.  :lol:

audiorook72

• Virtue Amp-ed and loving it....
« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2011, 04:56 pm »
Thank you all for the responses. I do agree with most of what you said but unfortunately I was foolish to let my sentiments take over rationality. The repairman claims he could solve the issue with usd80, so I went ahead plus added iec and better RCA connections plus some new caps. Looks like I may have went the wrong way. How I wish the M1 could be in Singapore dollars, then it would have been an easy decision.

Alas, I just have to get him to rectify the issue since he claimed he could solve it.