The Monolith open baffle planar speakers

HAL

The Monolith open baffle planar speakers
« on: 14 Oct 2017, 05:03 pm »
Now that GR-Research and the Parts-Express folks have the new Neo3 and Neo10 planar drivers again, back to The Monolith speaker design.

The baffle has the 45 degree wing, but needs felt to work correctly, so making the angle lower as Danny has suggested is the better way to go.  The future is going to work toward the 10 degree version with the GR-Neo3 and PE Neo10 planars.

The 3x8" OB H-Frames are built and next will be installing the drivers and connection to the Rythmik HX300 amps. 

The dspMusikLCD will be the digital crossover and entire interface for the system to DC coupled amps the HX300 servo amps with balanced connections. 

Picture is with the OB planars on two of the modular 2x12's for The Megaliths.  Both OB servo sub arrays work well with the planars as it is easy to change levels to each amp with the dspMusikLCD.

« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2017, 08:59 pm by HAL »

HAL

Re: The Monolith open baffle planar array speakers
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2017, 04:52 pm »
The new GR Neo3 and PE BG Neo10 planars have arrived. 

Should have them installed later this week and make measurements for the updated dspMusikLCD crossover.

HAL

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2017, 07:56 pm »
Back from travel and here are the GR Neo3 and latest version BG Neo10 from PE.

Now to see how the speakers measure with the latest drivers.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2017, 09:39 pm »
Rich, they're scary looking!

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2017, 10:00 pm »
Good!  BWAHAHAHAHAH!   :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2017, 12:45 am »
Hello HAL,

I'm interested in your design.  First, I've seen many OB designs with a wing or two on the tweeter/midrange array.  Wing on the inside, wing on the outside, wings on both sides.  I'd like to learn more about this type of design, can you point me to the resources you used? Next, on the OB subs, are those basically Danny Richie type servo subs?  They look awesome!  How much more output do you get over the two-driver-per-side version?

TIA,
JakeJ

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2017, 01:22 am »
JakeJ,
These are a prototype of something Danny Richie had discussed as an idea for OB planar BG drivers.  We discussed them as something to try.  The baffles in the picture are with the high angle wing, that showed surface reflection problems at the 135 degree angle.  Lowering the angle will solve that problem.

The 2x12" H-Frames in the picture are a part of my 6x12" H-Frame modular servo sub that uses Danny's 12" OB sub drivers and Rythmik HX800 amps.  Add about 7dB for the full 6x12 array over the 2x12".

This design uses two 3x8" servo sub arrays with Danny's drivers and the Rythmik HX300 amps.  The H-Frames are in the back of the room to be loaded with the drivers and wired to connectors.

The digital crossover will be the dspMusikLCD.  Have an idea for a consumer stereo amp to use with this triamp design.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2017, 01:35 am »

Wow! What an amazingly musical world you live in!  :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2017, 01:38 am »
Thanks!  That is my plan!  :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2017, 11:39 am »
Thanks for the info!

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2017, 01:40 pm »
You are welcome!

Hope to get the new drivers into one baffle today to compare to the old drivers.  Already have a dspMusik crossover completed, so now for some tweaking if needed. 

This pair will be working with two Parasound A23 stereo amps and two Rythmik HX300 servo amps.  All using balanced inputs from the dspMusikLCD DSP crossover.  The A23 DC coupled, servo loop design is a great one to try with the Neo3/Neo10 drivers.

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2017, 02:22 pm »
Hi Hal,
What amps are you going to drive those with? Just curious.  :)

HAL

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2017, 03:02 pm »
Two Parasound A23's designed by John Curl and two Rythmik HX300's for the 3x8" servo subs.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2017, 04:20 pm »
Hope to get the new drivers into one baffle today to compare to the old drivers.

Hi Rich, the Neo10's aren't the same driver as before? (Sorry if I'm misunderstanding)

HAL

« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2017, 04:28 pm »
The latest Neo10's from Parts-Express are supposed to be the same.  Got a pair to test in the old design baffles.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2017, 05:39 pm »
I hope they are the same - I've heard a ton of speakers and drivers in my lifetime and nothing really matches the Neo10 and Neo3 combo for mids/highs.  There might be one or 2 better tweeters out there (like the big AMTs), but if you're looking for something that does 200hz to 20,000hz seamlessly and beautifully, nothing else really comes close to this combo. 

HAL

Re: The Monolith open baffle planar speakers
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2017, 03:04 pm »
The first Parasound Halo A23 amp arrives today.  The second A23 comes next week.

Will be installing the new Neo planars in the baffle and see what happens.  Then to get the 3x8" servo sub drivers installed.

HAL

« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2017, 05:55 pm »
Time to try the A23 out with the Neo3 and Neo10 baffle!

HAL

« Reply #18 on: 21 Oct 2017, 07:00 pm »
Here are some pictures of the test baffle with an original BG Neo10 installed.  The original GR Neo3-PDR is pulled to install the latest GR Neo3.  Will pull the original Neo10 and install the latest production Neo10.   The second mirror image baffle has the original GR and BG drivers installed.

Yes I do know the new GR Neo3 is different from the original, so that will show in the measurements.  Also will reinstall the felt on the panels to reduce surface reflections.

HAL

« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2017, 07:20 pm »
The original GR modified Neo3-PDR and new GR Neo3 tweeters.  The connectors have changed.  Like the new arrangement.