TAP Is Off...............

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
TAP Is Off...............
« on: 5 Mar 2009, 07:33 pm »
Hello!

Well - in an effort to stay sane I've decided to stop making finished pre-amps.  Actually there are really two reasons for this change:

1- I have too many projects on the go and that means something must change to get them done. The time it has taken me to get the MU step-up replacement done is a fine example of this problem but there are other behind the scenes stuff that has just not moved as it should. Where do we sign up for the 34 hour days.......

2- As time goes on I am doing more and more OEM design work and providing remote control solutions to more and more OEM customers. These all end up in pre-amps and so in a way when I sell pre-amps I am competing with my own customers. One alternative would be to stop selling to all them - leaving them all hanging.  I won't be doing that!  Instead I have decided to focus on doing a good job of producing the parts and designs for OEM and DIY pre-amp makers. 

This does not change ANYTHING when it comes to support of existing products. All the modules will be continued to be produced and parts stock here will continue to be very high. Given that I'll have one less area of focus I will be even better able to take care of any needs this way.

In order to not leave anyone hanging I'll be taking orders for the TAP-X pre-amp up until the end of April. Also I will entertain custom builds as time allows so if you have a project in mind don't hesitate to call - this kind of custom project is often good fun so I hope to do some from time to time. As I build stuff for testing and prototyping I'll offer them up from time to time - I'll create a 'stuff for sale' section on the website. I have a few other things I want to do - including doing a run of those TRIK controllers and offering up some of those in special packages, etc.

Many Thansk!

John

TomW16

Re: TAP Is Off...............
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2009, 07:54 pm »
Hi John,

Just so that I understand correctly, a DIY person could still order the parts and build a TAP-X but you are getting out of the assembly business for finished products, correct?

It sounds like you have your plate full and I wish you continued success in servicing the OEM and DIY crowd.

Thanks.

Tom

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2009, 08:54 pm »
Hello!

The basic Slagleformer modules and the misc stuff will still be availiable. The back panel pcb on the 6 input version was very specific to the TAP-X and so it would not be an offered DIY part - it has the buffer, sub output and also needs a more elaborate supply, etc.  It's never been a DIY part anyway. I do have other back panel options and case options here or as many diy guys do you are welcome to make your own chassis parts.   

Thansk!

John

« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2009, 04:19 am by John Chapman »

Sonny

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2009, 10:32 pm »
John,

Sad to hear, but I am glad for you to move on to things that are more viable.!

I can say that after a year with John's Tap-X, I can't believe I didn't get into it sooner...These Bent products are amazing and well, the service is bar none!

Tuan
(A Satisfied/Happy owner of the TAP-X)

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2009, 11:05 pm »
Hello!

Glad it is still working out well for you. You bought one of the first couple TAP-X shipped so it could not have been much sooner then when you got it!

I hope it is not too sad.... I just wanted to give folks who might want one a heads up so they could get one before I stop making them all together. It's not that it was not viable - actually I have parts here to make quite a few more! It just came down to the two factors mentioned - time for new design work and being fair to the other OEM's using my parts inside thier products. There will still be pre-amps made with the Slagleformer modules by other audio brands and  a few custom builders and diy as well so the world will have ready access to them! 

Thanks!

John

Nils

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2009, 03:22 am »
Yikes!  I might be calling you up in the next month, John!

-- Nils

Peter UK

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2009, 08:32 pm »
John,

I wish you every success with everything you chose to do.  Obviously your OEM customers find your products as excellent as I did and also enjoy dealing with your personally as much too.

I'm glad I bought one when I did :-)  Many happy months of listening since.

I know HiFi World were planning to do a review of the TAP-X, was meant to be in this month's edition (April edition - they get ahead of themselves, came out end of Feb).  I was looking forward to see what they thought.

Hopefully they will still do the review as they have a strong self assembly following in the magazine so would still be valid.

Regards, Peter     Very happy UK owner

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:24 am »
Hello!

Glad the TAP-X has been fun!

Their kind offer of a review was most appreciated. Really nice folks to work with. A while back I could see the change coming due to OEM / TAP conflicts and I did inform them of that - so that they would not be wasting time on a review for a product that was hard to get for readers! I expect they did pull that but I should confirm it with the fellows over there.

Thansk!

John
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2009, 02:30 pm by John Chapman »