X Static Completed

Ron K

X Static Completed
« on: 6 Nov 2020, 05:19 pm »
Ive just completed my build of the X Static. Ive only built one other speaker set prior which was the LS Encore. I was quite surprised at the sound quality of the Encores so I decided to give the X Static a try. This was a BIG project for one with little or no woodworking experience. Every step presented new challenges that required careful planning. After several months of work, and becoming a bit upset that I spent so much on such a challenging project, I completed work this morning and listened for the first time. I have been using vintage Vandersteen 2c' s with a vintage Adcom GFA555 amp and a Classe
Audio pre amp . I am using a Blue Sound Node 2i as streamer. (I also built a subwoofer to match the system )
Ok. The punch line. I have never heard anything like this before in my life. I feel as though I've never heard music before. This is the  first time I think I really heard well defined soundstage. The clarity was out of this world. Mids and highs so open they seemed magical. Ethereal. I am simply blown away.
I don't no what else to say. I am beyond ecstatic. Well worth the all the work, money and angst. I can't imagine what a set like these wold cost in a Hi Fi store. In any event, if you are considering this build, novice or not, I can not more strongly encourage you to take the dive. If you are a music lover, you will not regret it.

wdlvwdlv

Re: X Static Completed
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2020, 05:26 pm »
Bravo, well done! It's always great when a project comes to a close, now you can truly enjoy it  :thumb:

Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: What are the speakers in the background? Was that also a build?

tate roth

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2020, 05:27 pm »
They look great! What are you using for the subwoofer?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2020, 05:37 pm »
Those are gorgeous!
Glad to hear that they exceed your expectations!  :thumb:

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2020, 05:46 pm »

EDIT: What are the speakers in the background? Was that also a build?

They look like his Vandersteens.

Ron K

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2020, 05:49 pm »
old Vandesteens in background. The subwoofer is a Dayton audio 10 inch dual coil in a box a designed

SlushPuppy

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2020, 05:56 pm »
They look great!  :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2020, 06:12 pm »
Congrats on a fine looking project.  The X-Static is an audiophile speaker at a Big Box store price.  Years ago when I bought my kit for the huge LS9 from Danny, we hooked up one of his early builds of the X-Static. We had spent much of the day going back and forth between the LS6 and LS9.   I was actually stunned at how well it compared to the (at the time) flagship LS9's.  Can you get better sound? Yes.  But for thousands, not hundreds, more.  :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2020, 06:25 pm »
Beautiful job! They really are great speakers and while a challenge to build for novice woodworkers, ultimately very rewarding when you finally get to sit down and listen to them!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2020, 07:26 pm »
Great job and welcome to the club! 

AlexH

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2020, 09:19 pm »
Yep. I really love mine. Nice job on the build.

Creative cut designs

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2020, 09:40 pm »
Awesome job I almost went with the xstatik's but wasn't sure about the 3'away from the wall so I built the av3's  and I'm very pleased with them i can only imagine how the xstatic's sound.

Toecutter

« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2020, 10:39 pm »
Looks great. These are the speakers I hope to build one day.  I know how you  feel . I fell into hifi when putting together a home theater setup on a budget . I got a free pair of kirksaeter monitors someone was throwing out. When I hooked them up it was like I was listening  to music with earplugs in my whole life and I just took them out.These are 45 year old speakers I can only imagine what new  tech has to offer.