Triple W vs. Dual H Sub Enclosure

zenfishbike

Triple W vs. Dual H Sub Enclosure
« on: 1 Nov 2020, 01:41 pm »
Seems as though one key to best OB performance is maximizing cone area. Example: NX-Treme vs NX-Oticia. So it seems a big advantage to add another 12in's cone area to the sub enclosures but a triple H is too tall for my setup. Looks like about 4 inches can be saved with a triple W, not a lot but maybe enough. Do the perpendicular angles that the woofers fire relative to each other affect the output (re: sound) of the W vs the H? Seems as though they would, like ripples in a pond do when they meet. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks

emailtim

Re: Triple W vs. Dual H Sub Enclosure
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2020, 05:24 pm »
Check out this chart for sub frequency lengths.  100Hz is 11.25 feet (135 inches) and increases as frequency decreases. 

Half-waves cancel which would be 67.50 inches at 100Hz.  The drivers are not 5 foot apart.  At sub frequencies, there will be very little if any deltas.

Sound Wave Length Chart:

https://www.jdbsound.com/art/frequency%20wave%20length%20chart%202013.pdf

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2020, 08:19 pm »
I don’t think there are plans for a triple W enclosure. Why are you thinking of a triple W frame instead of a triple H frame enclosure? The H frame will be sturdier, easy to build, and easier to install the drivers.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2020, 08:30 pm »
If triple H's won't work for your setup, build a pair of doubles. Unless you have a very large room, doubles should be sufficient. 

jn316

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2020, 08:34 pm »
I don’t think there are plans for a triple W enclosure. Why are you thinking of a triple W frame instead of a triple H frame enclosure? The H frame will be sturdier, easy to build, and easier to install the drivers.

He mentioned the difference in height as the reason, but I agree, I've never seen plans for a triple W or it even being discussed before.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2020, 09:47 pm »
He mentioned the difference in height as the reason, but I agree, I've never seen plans for a triple W or it even being discussed before.

The height issue comes in when using the double driver cabinet as a stand for a monitor. If the double H frame puts the tweeter to high, using a W frame will lower the tweeter a few inches. Triples are going to be too tall to use as stands regardless of configuration so the extra height of the H frames shouldn't be an issue.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2020, 10:04 pm »
If the double H frame puts the tweeter to high, using a W frame will lower the tweeter a few inches.

If height from the double H frame puts the tweeter too high, an easy fix is to tilt the monitors forward slightly using footers.

jn316

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2020, 06:00 pm »
If height from the double H frame puts the tweeter too high, an easy fix is to tilt the monitors forward slightly using footers.

From the text in his post, his concern is the height of a triple H-frame, not a double, hence his thinking about a triple W to save a little height. Obviously, he wants to go triples per side.

Of course, the title of the thread says "Dual H" so I'm now confused too.  :scratch:

zenfishbike

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2020, 02:45 pm »
Thanks everyone for the conversation. Sorry the title may have been confusing. I'm trying to squeeze 3 drivers in per side and the triple H is too tall and to long to lay on it's side. In theory a triple W saves about 4in in height but no plans exist for that (confirmed by Danny) so now I think I'm down to a dual H on the outside of the speakers and wonder if I could add a single on the inside of the speaker to get that 3rd driver? I've read that short wire length is a need with servo woofers. Anyone know specifically what the maximum length is so I can see if this dual/single combo would work?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2020, 05:06 pm »
Thanks everyone for the conversation. Sorry the title may have been confusing. I'm trying to squeeze 3 drivers in per side and the triple H is too tall and to long to lay on it's side. In theory a triple W saves about 4in in height but no plans exist for that (confirmed by Danny) so now I think I'm down to a dual H on the outside of the speakers and wonder if I could add a single on the inside of the speaker to get that 3rd driver? I've read that short wire length is a need with servo woofers. Anyone know specifically what the maximum length is so I can see if this dual/single combo would work?

The maximum recommended length is the short length of wire that comes with the amp which is about 2ft long. If you're going to put the H frame on the outside of the speaker, what is preventing you from using a triple H cabinet?

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2020, 06:08 pm »
Thanks everyone for the conversation. Sorry the title may have been confusing. I'm trying to squeeze 3 drivers in per side and the triple H is too tall and to long to lay on it's side. In theory a triple W saves about 4in in height but no plans exist for that (confirmed by Danny) so now I think I'm down to a dual H on the outside of the speakers and wonder if I could add a single on the inside of the speaker to get that 3rd driver?

Forget about adding a single. Add a third dual servo sub and lay it down in the middle of your speakers or better yet -- place it in the rear of the room. Three duals is essentially equivalent to two triples and gives you more placement versatility.

zenfishbike

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2020, 03:17 pm »
Forget about adding a single. Add a third dual servo sub and lay it down in the middle of your speakers or better yet -- place it in the rear of the room. Three duals is essentially equivalent to two triples and gives you more placement versatility.

Agree, this seems to be the most realistic and versatile approach. I'll start with two dual H's and add the 3rd if I feel it's lacking. Thank you.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2020, 06:32 pm »
Use OB subs near your speakers, the dual OB approach is perfect.  If you're going to put more subs in the room, then placing them near boundaries (corners are usually best) is optimal.  And you want to use sealed Servo subs for anything near a room boundary.