XLR speaker cable.

WarmColors

XLR speaker cable.
« on: 27 Oct 2020, 04:22 am »
Is it possible to use danny's new speaker wire and connect them to XLR connectors?
If not any XLR any of you recommend that is friendly to my bank account? Most I would spend is 300, preferably 200 for the pair.

Thank you,

HT cOz

Re: XLR speaker cable.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2020, 01:35 pm »
You should check out the Sweet Spot Reveal, from Sonny. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2020, 02:12 pm »
XLR is a low voltage connector, speaker cable is used to transfer higher voltage signals.  XLR is the professional standard for connecting low voltage balanced sources/preamps and to connect them to active/powered loudspeakers.  What gear are you connecting?  XLR cable is self shielded and has three leads.  How many wires does this speaker cable have? 

Mogami is an industry go to brand for XLR cable, well made/respected, a 25 ft long pair would be less than $200, no splicing needed.

WarmColors

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2020, 03:10 pm »
It would go from PS Audio gain cell to an odyssey Amp. I kind of guessed it would not be possible to use speaker wire, it doesn't hurt to ask. I will have to go to their website and see if they have smaller roll I just need 1.5M.

Thank you.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2020, 04:50 pm »
You're better off using RCAs going to an Odyssey amp, as it's a single ended amplifier... unless the source has superior XLR outs, which is common these days. In that case you're best off with a XLR > RCA cable that grounds out the 3rd pin using a resistor with the same value as the amp's input impedance, or using a transformer to go from XLR to RCA. If you attach an XLR cable to the Odyssey I'm pretty sure it'll just ground out the 3rd pin, which can work, it's what XLR > RCA adapters generally do, but don't think the Odyssey actually has a balanced input section, it does not.

You can check with PSA regarding any differences between your unit's XLR and RCA outputs.

tom739

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2020, 07:48 pm »
This company can help with your cable needs, at a very reasonable price.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm

t
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2020, 11:42 pm by tom739 »

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2020, 10:28 pm »
At that length for line-level, I'll 100% recommend the Canare L-4E6S.

WarmColors

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2020, 01:28 am »
You're better off using RCAs going to an Odyssey amp, as it's a single ended amplifier... unless the source has superior XLR outs, which is common these days. In that case you're best off with a XLR > RCA cable that grounds out the 3rd pin using a resistor with the same value as the amp's input impedance, or using a transformer to go from XLR to RCA. If you attach an XLR cable to the Odyssey I'm pretty sure it'll just ground out the 3rd pin, which can work, it's what XLR > RCA adapters generally do, but don't think the Odyssey actually has a balanced input section, it does not.

You can check with PSA regarding any differences between your unit's XLR and RCA outputs.

I actually thought about that also. I do know the amp is not balanced and it's "overkill" but I will be running RCAs to the sub I purchased from Danny. Reason why I am looking for XLR to connect the DAC and Amp. I am wanting to buy local and Cardas Audio is well known and respected and it's here in my home state of Oregon and I live within driving distance from an authorized audio store.
I built my audio system around the thought I want to buy American made and if possible local. 

RichPark

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2020, 08:46 pm »
Why not use speakon connectors.  They are low mass and lock firmly making a tight connection.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2020, 10:11 pm »
We seem to be co-mingling 3 different cable system here.
in the past, there were a few pro audio speakers that used XLR connectors. (the connectors are rated at 16 Amps) but it use too easy to confuse speaker cables with interconnect cables with disastrous results.

'speakon' connectors are excellent and now are the pro audio connector of chose.

XLR interconnect cables use a two conductor shielded cable 'Shielded Twisted Pair' (STP). Chose bulk cables made by Belden, Canare or Mogami. Stay away from Cardas.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2020, 12:35 pm by Speedskater »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2020, 11:21 pm »
I actually thought about that also. I do know the amp is not balanced and it's "overkill" but I will be running RCAs to the sub I purchased from Danny. Reason why I am looking for XLR to connect the DAC and Amp. I am wanting to buy local and Cardas Audio is well known and respected and it's here in my home state of Oregon and I live within driving distance from an authorized audio store.
I built my audio system around the thought I want to buy American made and if possible local.

Well, I'd prioritize the main amp, so the right answer to this really depends on what PSA recommends. You should also ask them if grounding pin3 directly on the XLR out will be ok, because that's what the Odyssey amp will do, at least the one I have does this, I can't speak for all of them...  If they tell you that both outs are the same, this is pretty much impossible, it costs $$$ to have both be of similar quality, so ask them if the output is natively balanced or single ended and use that one for the main amp. Electronics are going to be primarily single ended or balanced, and if they have both outputs often the non-native output is compromised. So, you don't want to send the best output to the sub and an inferior output to the main amp! It's possible the sub amp will ground pin3 as well if it has XLR ins.

If PSA says it's single ended and it doesn't have 2 RCA outputs, and the sub amp doesn't have XLR inputs, the choices are use a RCA cable splitter, an XLR > RCA converter on the XLR outs, or get a cable that goes from XLR > RCA.

I know this is more complicated that you may have expected, but this is what we have to deal with when we have a mix of balanced and single ended components out there. IMO, we should have left balanced for pro gear, it's just an unnecessary expense and complication for home audio. Others will have different opinions based on past experience, but it's rarely valid... most folks have no issue with single ended audio systems being noisy, and if they do the issue is even more rarely the "need" for balanced gear to reject noise.

WarmColors

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2020, 05:03 am »
Well, I'd prioritize the main amp, so the right answer to this really depends on what PSA recommends. You should also ask them if grounding pin3 directly on the XLR out will be ok, because that's what the Odyssey amp will do, at least the one I have does this, I can't speak for all of them...  If they tell you that both outs are the same, this is pretty much impossible, it costs $$$ to have both be of similar quality, so ask them if the output is natively balanced or single ended and use that one for the main amp. Electronics are going to be primarily single ended or balanced, and if they have both outputs often the non-native output is compromised. So, you don't want to send the best output to the sub and an inferior output to the main amp! It's possible the sub amp will ground pin3 as well if it has XLR ins.

If PSA says it's single ended and it doesn't have 2 RCA outputs, and the sub amp doesn't have XLR inputs, the choices are use a RCA cable splitter, an XLR > RCA converter on the XLR outs, or get a cable that goes from XLR > RCA.

I know this is more complicated that you may have expected, but this is what we have to deal with when we have a mix of balanced and single ended components out there. IMO, we should have left balanced for pro gear, it's just an unnecessary expense and complication for home audio. Others will have different opinions based on past experience, but it's rarely valid... most folks have no issue with single ended audio systems being noisy, and if they do the issue is even more rarely the "need" for balanced gear to reject noise.

Thank you for all this great information. I will need to email PSA and ask.

WarmColors

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2020, 09:43 pm »
Hi all,

I own a Rythmicaudio sub/plate amp (A370PEQ). I will be pairing my PS Audio DAC/Pre with an Odyssey amp. I was told by a rep. from PS Audio "So the Gain Cell DAC is balanced by design, and we tend to advise against grounding pins of the XLR to make it compatible with RCA or using XLR to RCA cables.

It tends to be a lot more sensible to use RCA cables in a case like yours. It's less stress, and provides less chance for weird interactions to come up.

Additionally, if you're also trying to hook up a subwoofer, then a splitter cable would work, or if possible you could always feed XLR to the sub and RCA to your amp."

I will be using RCA's to connect to the amp, but I still need to connect to the sub via XLR. Should I just purchase an adapter XLR to RCA and connect to the sub that way? Or should I purchase a splitter RCA?

Thank you,

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2020, 10:00 pm »
Hi all,

I own a Rythmicaudio sub/plate amp (A370PEQ). I will be pairing my PS Audio DAC/Pre with an Odyssey amp. I was told by a rep. from PS Audio "So the Gain Cell DAC is balanced by design, and we tend to advise against grounding pins of the XLR to make it compatible with RCA or using XLR to RCA cables.

It tends to be a lot more sensible to use RCA cables in a case like yours. It's less stress, and provides less chance for weird interactions to come up.

Additionally, if you're also trying to hook up a subwoofer, then a splitter cable would work, or if possible you could always feed XLR to the sub and RCA to your amp."

I will be using RCA's to connect to the amp, but I still need to connect to the sub via XLR. Should I just purchase an adapter XLR to RCA and connect to the sub that way? Or should I purchase a splitter RCA?

Thank you,

IMO, your best bet is an XLR > RCA cable that grounds pin3 through a resistor with the same input impedance as your Odyssey amp, so probably 50k or 100k. This loads both phases of the XLR output rather than directly grounding pin3 as most XLR > RCA converters do, and the XLR input in the Odyssey amp does exactly the same. I can make you such a cable BTW... but it might take 2-3 weeks at this point as I'm a little backed up. 

Next choice is to use a std XLR cable to your amp but modify the XLR in of your amp with aforementioned resistor so both phases of the XLR out are loaded evenly. This will do exactly the same as the XLR > RCA cable w/resistor I mentioned, it just puts the resistor in a different place. 

Then use RCA out to the sub amp.

I agree with PSA the simplest solution is to use RCA out to the amp and XLR out to the sub, but it is certainly possible the sub amp will directly ground pin3 as well. It's more likely it's balanced though, but you could check with Rythmik on that.

Or, you can use an RCA splitter, but this will also put both amps in parallel, lowering the input impedance considerably... however this is likely not a big deal. If you want to be sure you can calculate the parallel impedance of the Odyssey + Rythmik amps and make that number is at least 10x the output impedance of the PSA.

WarmColors

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2020, 10:10 pm »
IMO, your best bet is an XLR > RCA cable that grounds pin3 through a resistor with the same input impedance as your Odyssey amp, so probably 50k or 100k. This loads both phases of the XLR output rather than directly grounding pin3 as most XLR > RCA converters do, and the XLR input in the Odyssey amp does exactly the same. I can make you such a cable BTW... but it might take 2-3 weeks at this point as I'm a little backed up. 

Next choice is to use a std XLR cable to your amp but modify the XLR in of your amp with aforementioned resistor so both phases of the XLR out are loaded evenly. This will do exactly the same as the XLR > RCA cable w/resistor I mentioned, it just puts the resistor in a different place. 

I agree with PSA the simplest solution is to use RCA out to the amp and XLR out to the sub, but it is certainly possible the sub amp will directly ground pin3 as well. It's more likely it's balanced though, but you could check with Rythmik on that.

Or, you can use an RCA splitter, but this will also put both amps in parallel, lowering the input impedance considerably... however this is likely not a big deal. If you want to be sure you can calculate the parallel impedance of the Odyssey + Rythmik amps and make that number is at least 10x the output impedance of the PSA.

Could you send me a private message in regards to the cable you make? This is my first time building a system.  I did not know I was going to run into these issues with PSA. I would of purchased something else if I knew it was going to keep draining my bank account. I'm already deep in, I can't just throw it away.
"calculate the parallel impedance" I don't know how to do that.

WarmColors

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2020, 10:25 pm »

Also i was stupid that i forgot to tell Danny i needed the plate amp with the XLR when i placed my order for the sub.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2020, 10:32 pm »
Could you send me a private message in regards to the cable you make? This is my first time building a system.  I did not know I was going to run into these issues with PSA. I would of purchased something else if I knew it was going to keep draining my bank account. I'm already deep in, I can't just throw it away.
"calculate the parallel impedance" I don't know how to do that.

Most modern DACs are balanced, so it's not a big deal. PSA makes good stuff and is a good value, you did fine with that purchase. Amps go either way, most class D are balanced but others are mostly single ended. Odyssesy amps are really good, so again, it's a good choice... Mixing balanced and single ended components is one of the biggest issues with putting a system together these days, and it leads to A LOT of setups that aren't as optimized as they could be.

A decent XLR > RCA cable with resistor doesn't have to be expensive either, you can get your cables sorted without spending that much. :)

WarmColors

« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2020, 11:04 pm »
Most modern DACs are balanced, so it's not a big deal. PSA makes good stuff and is a good value, you did fine with that purchase. Amps go either way, most class D are balanced but others are mostly single ended. Odyssesy amps are really good, so again, it's a good choice... Mixing balanced and single ended components is one of the biggest issues with putting a system together these days, and it leads to A LOT of setups that aren't as optimized as they could be.

A decent XLR > RCA cable with resistor doesn't have to be expensive either, you can get your cables sorted without spending that much. :)

I found the Impedance input >10kohms. Now i just need to find an XLR to RCA cable that has a resistor of >10kohms? Where would i find such cable? how much would it be if i purchased one of your cables?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2020, 11:41 pm »

I found the Impedance input >10kohms. Now i just need to find an XLR to RCA cable that has a resistor of >10kohms? Where would i find such cable? how much would it be if i purchased one of your cables?

A cable that grounds pin3 via a resistor would be custom as the value of the resistance is optimally the same as your amplifier's input impedance. This helps load both phases of the output stage equally. Another way to do it, and probably the best way would be to use a transformer, but it's much more expensive, adds complexity and adds yet another set of cables and another box to put somewhere, so I tend to favor using a resistor to simply ground out pin3. It's simpler and avoids issues you might get with shorting out pin3. I'll send you a PM.

HT cOz

« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2020, 01:20 pm »
Another approach that would be guaranteed to work. 

https://neurochrome.com/products/universal-buffer