NEXT BRYSTON PRODUCT 2021

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
NEXT BRYSTON PRODUCT 2021
« on: 6 Feb 2021, 08:09 pm »
Hi Folks,

So I would like some opinions about what Bryston should consider to manufacture for its next product.

Give me your top three (3) and the reasons why.

Thanks in advance.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: NEXT BRYSTON PRODUCT 2021
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2021, 08:40 pm »

...smaller amps. the BAX option also available for the A-models.  to make Bryston affordable.

al.

and hey...great topic, btw :thumb:

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2021, 09:24 pm »
An all-in-one music server. Four boxes (server, DAC, BOT, external storage) is too cumbersome. There are too many boxes, power cords, and cables. I find it thoroughly confusing.  :scratch:

At least get it down to two boxes. One box for loading CDs, storage, and playback. Second box for DAC for those who want to experiment or have DACs in their integrated amp.

Good reason--I would buy one of those but not what you make now. I think others would buy one too. You would broaden your market. Many people want simpler solutions. Music should be fun and easy, not a challenge. 

alexone

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2021, 09:49 pm »
James,

would it be possible to have a Bryston integrated amp with an implemented BAX to go with Bryston's active speakers????

al.

GrooveControl

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2021, 10:23 pm »
Hi James, 

1 - Reboot the 2B.  I'm certain the 2.5B is excellent,  but the appearance and name have kept me from being really interested.  From the top view, it should have the same footprint as the 3B, but it should retain its 2 rack space height.  The heat sinks should extend all the way down its sides. Get rid of that notch in the cabinet. and call it a 2B.

2 - A new integrated amp that will fill the bill for a great quality, highly functional, and modestly powered solution.  This will appeal to people looking for a second system, office, cottage type needs. People that don't want separates or might be looking to downgrade from separates. This int amp needs more features than the B135, but doesn't need to be as powerful.  Maybe something like a B80.  It needs tone controls, tape loop, switched power outlet, etc.  You saw my post where I compared the features of several int amps.  Keep digital stuff out of this unit so it won't depreciate much as the digital tech changes.

3 - I would celebrate 50 years by offering VU meters in your amps.  I believe your initial 3B had them, so why not?. I know many will disagree with me, but with sound quality not really something to debate much anymore, features and appearance are where you need to focus now. 

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2021, 10:34 pm »
1 - Reboot the 2B. 

I second this request.  2B-LP Pro really does need a cubed update, retaining its slim size factor  :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2021, 10:58 pm »
1) BHA-2 - Maybe throw in some tech from the cubed series and fix the gain issues where you could have more volume play with the knob on all kinds of headphones...Furthermore, you could do a GS-X Mk2 type of thing with the BHA-2. The BHA-1 had great headphone amplification, but the preamp wasn't as good as the rest of the dedicated Bryston preamps. Maybe stepped control for preamps and remote control? Having an analog-only TOTL headphone amp and preamp in one box would be perfect. That's a product worth keeping for years/decade(s).

(I still use headphones occasionally nowadays, but it's been dramatically reduced so they are mostly for nights. I actually don't know how the headphone market looks right now in terms of both the headphone and amplification. The Audeze is the only one from the high-end headphone collection that I use now. Most of the time its the wireless earbuds and headphones))

2) Roon Core on BDP players - Either on the BDP-3 or a newer beefier processor model. Maybe we can get MPD type SQ from Roon this way? Also, an updated interface for Manic Moose / MPD would also be great.

3) As others have said, maybe something on the smaller, integrated side. For example, with my Amphion One15, I went with Amphion's Amp100, but the thought did go through my head that if there was something that was comparable to it from Bryston, I'd have preferred to stick with Bryston.

DEP14

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2021, 11:04 pm »
One box.

300wpc/500wpc 4ohm

DAC/Streamer

one analog input for HT bypass

remote

roon endpoint

One box with big power, HT bypass. 

I only stream (though would want to be able to hook up a network drive), and use a HT bypass.  That's it.  But I want big, clean power, and a great DAC.

(basically NAD M33, but higher end, roon endpoint, and a HT bypass function).

gdbalp

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2021, 01:45 am »
Hi James,

For me the following are my top three products for Bryston:

1- A replacement for legendary SP3 processor :green: with the latest surround sound formats with an excellent streamer and updated DAC section for 2 or multi-channel audio..
There is nothing on the market today that is as good as SP3 for either 2 channel or multi channel audio quality and keep the analog inputs.
2- Single channel amp, good for 300 watts - 8 ohms or 500 watts - 4 ohms
This would supplement bi-amping of speakers and when you need only one channel of amplification, but try to keep it compact in size.
3) - A replacement for BDA-3 :green:, but consider R-2R ladder DAC configuration
There a only a few R-2R ladder DACs that are truly amazing for decoding digital signals and gives us I²S inputs, but maintain the current inputs as well.

Luigi

fbny71

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2021, 02:16 am »
A Roon Core would be on my wishlist.

A better specc’ed internal DAC for the BP-17^3.

I’m sure I will come up with something else to suggest, these are just my immediate thoughts...thanks for asking!

GSDaudio

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2021, 12:26 pm »
Hi James,

1)  A new and innovative ribbon type headphone.   Carbon fibre for low weight.   Matched to a new BHA that can act as either a) an integrated amp, b) preamp or c) headphone amp.   I believe Bryston/Axiom have the resources and pedigree to be the leader in this market.

2)  Internal DAC upgrade options.   Because DACs need upgrading and in my opinion are becoming a hifi commodity.   (read:  product differentiation without value added for most)

3) I don't have a decent third idea.   However, I would like to say that Bryston should avoid falling into the trap of becoming beholden to a third party software company.   Once such a company has a dominant position in the hifi arena they will start to dictate terms that will impact audio quality not unlike what Apple did to music.   It's what I would do.   Remember Steve Jobs made a ton of cash off iTunes but still had a turntable at home.   Speaks volumes.

Cheers and thanks for allowing us to present our opinions.
Richard

schmidtmike76

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2021, 02:47 pm »
James I would have said the BR20 however that’s completed.  I would say a CD/BDP/BDA3 in one box.  Weather we like it or not people are wanting less boxes and less cables and will pay a bit more for a 2/1 and 3/1 boxes.

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2021, 05:30 pm »
James I would have said the BR20 however that’s completed.  I would say a CD/BDP/BDA3 in one box.  Weather we like it or not people are wanting less boxes and less cables and will pay a bit more for a 2/1 and 3/1 boxes.

This is what I said. I also think one box is less expensive than three boxes with separate chassis and power supplies. One box is definitely less expensive when you factor in fewer power cords and interconnects.

GrooveControl

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2021, 06:46 pm »

I would agree that for many, fewer boxes are better. However, I think digital and analog should be kept separate.  Think ahead 10-20 years from now.  I think the BR20 will be more outdated than a BP25. 
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2021, 07:56 pm by GrooveControl »

alexone

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2021, 07:23 pm »
[quote author=fbny71
A better specc’ed internal DAC for the BP-17^3.

...good point, fbny! the BP 17³ deserves a more multi functional dac card. a usb input is very important for many users these days. and it just doesn't make sense that a preamp like the 17³ with a pricetag of a few thousand is still without this feature if you ask me. however, i love my 17³ - not only for the xlr-biamp feature... :thumb:

al.

GeAllan70

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2021, 11:40 pm »
1:  Model JT Signature
w/ BAX-2 Signature.

2:  Buc-2  (incl: Toslink Optical Audio.)
w/ MPS-3

3: 4B3 (incl: VU meter)

"I would celebrate 50 years by offering VU meters in your amps." GrooveControl
^^^
+1

schmidtmike76

« Reply #16 on: 8 Feb 2021, 12:15 am »
I would agree that for many, fewer boxes are better. However, I think digital and analog should be kept separate.  Think ahead 10-20 years from now.  I think the BR20 will be more outdated than a BP25.
if...if that dac is modular it should be good for a long time for upgrades.  I’ll believe it when I see it though. 

fbny71

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2021, 02:09 am »

...good point, fbny! the BP 17³ deserves a more multi functional dac card. a usb input is very important for many users these days. and it just doesn't make sense that a preamp like the 17³ with a pricetag of a few thousand is still without this feature if you ask me. however, i love my 17³ - not only for the xlr-biamp feature... :thumb:

al.

A BR-20 with all upgrades vs my BP-17 with all upgrades really tempts me but I still use a reel to reel deck and I’d miss the tape loop. That said, I am still considering it...I could incorporate a .5B pre just for the tape loop.

fbny71

« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2021, 02:14 am »

I would bet the BDA-3 DAC internals in the BR-20 will still be an excellent DAC in 20 years! I think of how many fans of old 20 bit ladder DACs out there!

mmityok

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2021, 03:04 am »
Like others here a killer integrated based off the 4B3 and new 20 pre/DAC/streamer to take on Gryphon, T & A and McIntosh etc. Maybe when the next gen topology is released? Agree too with those who want meters. Specs should be 300/600 into 8/4 ohms and S/N ratio 115<db Class A for the 1st 15 watts. Sell it for 20K CAD retail - problem is you would need to seriously improve your MM software to Bluos or Naim level. If that is impossible, ditch the streamer/DAC section and go pure analog with a good MM/MC phono stage and charge 15K.