NEXT BRYSTON PRODUCT 2021

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: NEXT BRYSTON PRODUCT 2021
« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2021, 11:30 am »
I would bet the BDA-3 DAC internals in the BR-20 will still be an excellent DAC in 20 years! I think of how many fans of old 20 bit ladder DACs out there!

Hi - Yes the BR20 is totally modular with separate boards for the analog, digital, streaming and phono and gain stages even the HDMI board so totally adaptable to upcoming technologies in the future.

james

« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2021, 12:47 pm by James Tanner »

mav52

« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2021, 12:38 pm »
BHA-2.  Bingo consider one sold.

fbny71

« Reply #22 on: 8 Feb 2021, 02:21 pm »
Hi - Yes the BR20 is totally modular with separate boards for the analog, digital, streaming and phono and gain stages even the HDMI board so totally adaptable to upcoming technologies in the future.

james

James, what do you think of my solution of incorporating a .5B or the like for the phono and tape loop options and the BR-20 for main pre functions and digital front end?

Alan Wojcik

« Reply #23 on: 8 Feb 2021, 03:13 pm »
Thanks James for seeking input from your customer base.

1. As many have stated here, the Bryston SP3 processor needs to be reimagined to embrace the latest codecs (Dolby Vision/Atmos) and perhaps a larger display window and Wi-Fi capability. Room correction voodoo adds more problems than it solves, so keep that piece deep in the Otonabee River. Add a built-in modern DAC, a 2021 upgradeable HDMI board and most importantly stable firmware for the signal processing end of things. The most recent owner's manual for the SP3 in non-intuitive and does not reflect the needs of the consumer. Assign this task to a top-notch editor with knowledge of all things audio and video. Use the OPPO UDP-205 owner's manual as a benchmark.

2. A cubed series centre channel mono amp (75 to 100 watts) would be well received, especially by those who own other Bryston cubed amplifiers in a home theatre system.

3. I can't believe I'm saying it, but a modest Bryston receiver makes sense today, especially when you consider the growth of condos and finished basements yearning for a second system. Space is at a premium for condo dwellers. A receiver also embraces WAF considerations.

All the best.

Alan
Jordan, Ontario

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 8 Feb 2021, 03:48 pm »
James, what do you think of my solution of incorporating a .5B or the like for the phono and tape loop options and the BR-20 for main pre functions and digital front end?

Not sure on the tape-loop idea as I assume it would be a re-design of the BR20 so probably a different product.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #25 on: 8 Feb 2021, 04:25 pm »

...please no VU-meters for Bryston amps :nono:

al.

fbny71

« Reply #26 on: 8 Feb 2021, 05:35 pm »
Not sure on the tape-loop idea as I assume it would be a re-design of the BR20 so probably a different product.

james

Not asking for a tape loop on the BR-20, rather, using a BR-20 and adding an older Bryston pre like the .5B for tape loop and possibly phono pre duties.
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2021, 07:00 pm by fbny71 »

RonCH

« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2021, 06:51 pm »
Hi Folks,

So I would like some opinions about what Bryston should consider to manufacture for its next product.

Give me your top three (3) and the reasons why.

Thanks in advance.

james

1.  An evolution of the BDA3.14.  Something with all the BDP functionality ( a display and IR codes for skipping back and forward etc ) plus a DAC.  You could even think of it as a scaled back BR20.  I  like the BDA3.14 , but it doesn't replace a BDP + BDA.   
2.  A new DAC .  This is a personal request.  In  Europe we are pretty much home all the time now, an upgrade for my 5 year old BDA3 would be very welcome.  Previously when I went from the BDA1 to the BDA3 there was a significant improvement in sound quality - another step would give me something to smile about.
3.  A new BW that's a Roon endpoint.  I would like to a new version of the BR that competes with the Naim Muso on functionality.  The Muso can be used as a Room Endpoint and for TV audio (it has a HDMI ARC input).

martydmnt

« Reply #28 on: 8 Feb 2021, 09:03 pm »

Give me your top three (3) and the reasons why.

1. An entry-level integrated amp. I love my B135 cubed, but there is no way I could have considered it when I started out with my first piece of gear. I think elsewhere you wrote that the B60 wasn't selling well enough to continue its manufacture, but even it was a serious step up in cost. If something could fill in the line with a price point near the BDP-Pi you might bring more people starting off into the Bryston family - $4500 for Mini A's + BDP-Pi + integrated. I understand that it's no small lift to fit something of high engineering and manufacturing quality into the price range.

2. Already suggested by someone else was a single-box player/ripper/streamer in a single box. It may be sacrilege but bluetooth connection for streaming from a phone or to headphones should be considered.

3. Not for 2021, but looking forward, everything is moving toward sustainability in just about every industry. I'd say Bryston is already embracing part of it - building ultra-reliable products and continuing to repair them. What about an end-of-life program for safely disposing of old Bryston electronics if they were to ever fail? Class D or other more efficient amplification for lower power? The push is on to force plastic producers to take back their used products. Whether it's the Paris Accords or other future CO2 reduction programs, improved efficiency is key. Some people may scoff at this but it's something to consider for the long term.

schugh

« Reply #29 on: 9 Feb 2021, 03:54 am »
I'd buy a Bryston Receiver (depending on price)
I just picked up a Anthem MRX-740 which will last about 6 years (maybe more)
I know Bryston has Processors and Multichannel amps, but that's far outside my budget and more than I require.
A nice Bryston receiver in the same price brackets as say the Anthems would be really cool.

I only use the receiver for HT for Center and Surround channels.
Fronts are powered by 7BSST3.

gbaby

« Reply #30 on: 9 Feb 2021, 05:01 am »
James, would it be fair to say that the BR-20 is a stereo version of the SP3?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 9 Feb 2021, 11:46 am »
James, would it be fair to say that the BR-20 is a stereo version of the SP3?

Thats a good question - in some ways it is but the unique thing about the BR20 is that it is fully balanced throughout the signal path and truly modular in concept for future proofing - and of course the streamer function.

james

Grant Hill

« Reply #32 on: 9 Feb 2021, 02:19 pm »
Hi,

I don’t know if this makes sense in the current world of audio/video streaming, but a universal player equipped with a solid and state of the art drive without DAC inside will be something unique – it shall play blu ray video/audio, Sacd, Redbook, Dvd with several output as spdif, coax, Aes/ebu, optical, I2S and Hdmi. Customers can pair it with their own Dac (as BDA3) to spin discs.
Best would be to output Dsd stream to an external Dac on Aes/ebu and spdif  - is it still patent protected by Sony?

There are many audiophiles who still want to play their Sacd, blu rays and cd.
Oppo, Denon & Marantz, Cambridge are out of the universal player market and there are rumors that also Pioneer is in financial troubles. The only alternatives are Sony or Panasonic, which are ok btw but Bryston clients may want something more still without paying crazy $ for high end drive as Esoteric or Kalista.

My 2 cents.

PeterG

« Reply #33 on: 9 Feb 2021, 03:03 pm »
echoing what some others have said...sacd capability from the BCD-3...doesn't have to be a transport only, just the ability to play sacds...I play both dsd files (ripped and downloaded from a BDP-3) and sacds - currently using a Pioneer universal player into BDA-3.14 via hdmi....the other useful product would be smaller mono blocks...maybe 4b3 spec

AndrewA

« Reply #34 on: 9 Feb 2021, 10:13 pm »
A pair of nice SMALL monoblocks.  Cap them at 25 lbs each, for those of us who are back-challenged.  Also caters to those who want to situate by their speakers but can't financially reach the current monos.

audibleguy

« Reply #35 on: 9 Feb 2021, 10:31 pm »
I would suggest some less expensive mono-block amps, that have balanced inputs and two sets of speaker posts. I use to have the 7B-NRB mono-block amps back in the day as they were affordable.

Aschen

« Reply #36 on: 9 Feb 2021, 10:42 pm »
Small footprint pre with modern/digital connectivity. Something like half the size/functionality/cost of the new BR20. Well implemented sub outputs and high pass mains, and roon or BluOS functionality would be major wins. There arnt tons of options for high quality 2.2 preamps these days.

A dream product for me would be something like a hi quality north American made  version of Minidsp SHD digital pre with DSP and adjustability> Im sure thats a small market though.

4B3 based based super integrated would be really sweet as well. 

Sasha

« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2021, 12:04 am »
Universal digital crossover, like DEQX, but much higher quality (other manufacturers are not even worth mentioning), with much better DSP and DA, operating at higher sampling rates and most importantly much higher number of bits.
There is no such high end product on the market, DEQX just keeps repackaging old technology.

gbaby

« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2021, 02:53 pm »
...please no VU-meters for Bryston amps :nono:

al.

I agree. It would be a colossal mistake.  :nono:

spotlightaudio

« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2021, 10:16 pm »

1. Monoblocks with 4B3 specs
2. Monoblocks with 4B3 specs
3. Monoblocks with 4B3 specs