HAL's MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik 6x8 DSP crossover and HiRez DAC's

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Waiting to hear about the two modular 6x12" flat packs shipping info from Ruben.

Oops!  :duh:

They'll be arriving Thursday. The last 2 digits are different for each box. 780418155134, 45, 56, 67, 78.

Best,

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Took one last pic before I broke 'em down for shipping.

Ruben

HAL

Ruben,
Thank you very much for all the work on these!  They look great!  :thumb:

The ideas are taking shape nicely!

HAL

The demo MS-3 and dspMusik system are at the third stop in Colorado.  This will be used with a pair of Sanders 10D electrostatics for comparison against the Behringer DCX2496.

First order for an MS-3 with an internal 1TB SSD from music library use.  Just need the SSD that is now on order.  This should be interesting.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Took one last pic before I broke 'em down for shipping.

Ruben

What are these?

HAL

Modular 6x12" servo sub arrays in H-Frame style OB.  They are stacked 1x12"s to make them easy to move and then bolt together.

Each column uses a Rythmik HX800 amp for the 6 drivers.

HAL

To be complete, it is 1/3 of the Modular Open Baffle Line array concept in work.

The other 2/3 is a 7' Open Baffle line array with planar magnetic drives for midrange and tweeter.   Dipole radiation pattern.

Have sample planar drivers here to test.  There maybe other drivers to test along the way before the decision is made.

HAL

The two 6x12" servo sub flat pack kits arrived from Ruben today.

Excellent packaging as usual!

Now to start the unpacking, gluing and clamping process. 

HAL

The demo MS-3 and dspMusik are now being setup with a pair of Sanders 10D electrostatic speaker in CO for trials.   

A MAC will be used as the USB digital source and the A/D's for analog sources.  Taking the place of a Behringer DCX2496 from what I understand is the standard unit used with the speakers.

HAL

The system is up and running with the dspMusik via A/D with analog sources.

Hope they get a chance to try the USB2 input as well.

HAL

Taking a slight right hand turn, have two different amp modules in work for trials with the OB line array drivers.

Both are ChipAmp style units with the correct power for each driver.  They are being modified to use balanced inputs instead of single ended.  This is to allow an amp per speaker driver.

HAL

Parts are on order for a new design for a HiRez A/D converter idea to interface to the dspMusik system.

There will be no linear phase filtering for this A/D converter that will run at 768KHz sample rate. 

HAL

First MS-3 Music Server with internal 1TB SSD is built and software is loading. 

HAL

The MS-3 with the 1TB SATAIII SSD is loaded with software and completing the Microsoft updates.  Last will be installing the dspMusik USB driver.

Will do a 24 hour run to make sure everything is working correctly, then will box it up for shipping.

Loading up my external 500GB eSATA/USB2 SSD with music for the trip to Texas.  Lots of demo HiRez files to check the big line arrays with the dspMusik crossover! :)

HAL

The MS-3 with the 1TB SSD has loaded all the MS updates and ready for boxing.  Last step before shipping next week.

Have the music library loaded on my 500GB SSD for the trip to Texas.  Leaving Tuesday morning.  Lunch in Dallas with some friends that are AC folks then off the Danny's.

Last minute packing Monday of some parts to go with me and test at Danny's. 

Happy Easter everyone!

HAL

Report from CO that the setup running the Sanders 10D speakers is doing well.  Just went over the user settings for bass channel levels so that different amps with different gains can be used.

Using REW with the UMM-6 mic is a very good option for this type of measurement.  Run REW with a 300Hz bandwidth measurement and you can see the woofer to panel integration levels.

HAL

All packed for the trip to Texas to visit GR-Research and do some HAL audio mad scientist experiments!  :)

Gonna hear the prototype OB line arrays with OB servo subs and try different crossovers.   

This is going to be a very interesting week!

HAL

Shipped the MS-3 with the 1TB SSD to it's new owner yesterday.

Another owner of a new MS-3 reported great sounding results with his Yulong DA8 DAC.

The demo MS-3 and dspMusik system with the Sanders 10D speakers has been adjusted for bass levels and now integrated for the remainder of the listening trials.  Off next week to MI for the next stop.

Off to Texas!  :)

HAL

Made it to GR-Research today and dropped off many things for testing.  Will be back tomorrow.

Danny was wiring the last OB line array and should be ready for crossover experiments tomorrow.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
On my way to GR.  Hope to listen in as the testing is underway.