I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

avahifi

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #300 on: 28 Jun 2019, 01:41 pm »
Hi Ron, which Model 3 version did you get?

If possible, would you use my referral code:  frank44092 Tell your order people about it before taking delivery.

This will get you 1000 miles of free supercharging!

Thanks,

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #301 on: 28 Jun 2019, 02:11 pm »
Does my new Tesla drive itself?

No, not yet.  Bluebot (the name I picked for her) is equipped with all the hardware for complete self driving but the software for this is not ready yet, probably a year or so out.

It does have lots of useful driver aids already.

Standard equipment includes Auto Pilot which does the following, when engaged:

Traffic aware cruise control. This maintains a set speed and in traffic changes the speed to that of the vehicle above.  This is very useful in stop and go rush hour traffic as it will just follow the car ahead at the distance you have set into the control section and even stop and start as required.

Blind spot warning.  The cameras and sound sensors look to the sides and behind and warn you if you attempt a lane change unsafely.

Lane departure warning.  If you drift to the edge of your traffic lane it will warn you and also steer back to the center of your traffic lane.  You can override this simple by using the turn signals telling the car you want to change lanes.

Emergency braking.  Will do a hard brake if obstacle is detected ahead of you.

If you paid for the (expensive) self driving option now (I did not), then Navigate on Auto Pilot is also available.  This allows the car to basically self navigate from where you are to your destination, handling freeway interchanges, picking and manuvering to the appropriate traffic lane, and even recognizing traffic signal lights (but not yet stopping for them).  It also self parallel parks and has a summon feature that allows the car to maneuver from its parking place to where you are at the curb all by itself.

These functions are all Beta functions and all the functions require the driver to keep hands on the steering wheel and always be able to quickly override the automatic functions.

If the car detects you don't have hands on steering wheel for a few seconds, it slows done and stops and turns on hazard flashers.

Note that all of the car's functions are continuously updated by free over the air software upgrades.  They provide new functions and take care of bugs. Full self driving will be available as an over the air software upgrade too, but that will not be free.

Tesla says full self driving won't be available until the are certain that it safer to use that a good real driver.  Right now the Model 3 has the best safety ratings of any vehicle on the road with a fatality rate of about one fourth of that of ICE vehicles.  (ICE = internal combustion engine).

I will try to answer any other questions you have about the Tesla.

Frank

rockadanny

« Reply #302 on: 28 Jun 2019, 02:53 pm »
Traffic aware cruise control. This maintains a set speed and in traffic changes the speed to that of the vehicle above.  This is very useful in stop and go rush hour traffic as it will just follow the car ahead at the distance you have set into the control section and even stop and start as required.

Blind spot warning.  The cameras and sound sensors look to the sides and behind and warn you if you attempt a lane change unsafely.

Lane departure warning.  If you drift to the edge of your traffic lane it will warn you and also steer back to the center of your traffic lane.  You can override this simple by using the turn signals telling the car you want to change lanes.

Emergency braking.  Will do a hard brake if obstacle is detected ahead of you.

If you paid for the (expensive) self driving option now (I did not), then Navigate on Auto Pilot is also available.  This allows the car to basically self navigate from where you are to your destination, handling freeway interchanges, picking and manuvering to the appropriate traffic lane, and even recognizing traffic signal lights (but not yet stopping for them).  It also self parallel parks and has a summon feature that allows the car to maneuver from its parking place to where you are at the curb all by itself.

These functions are all Beta functions and all the functions require the driver to keep hands on the steering wheel and always be able to quickly override the automatic functions.

If the car detects you don't have hands on steering wheel for a few seconds, it slows done and stops and turns on hazard flashers.

:o :o :o  I've been developing software going on 4 decades for several industries, including 2 decades in automotive engineering. And while I greatly admire the Teslas  :drool:, IMO, software = bugs. Personally, I'd be scared $#!+less to ride in a car that had so many opportunities for failure resulting in catastrophe. Good luck and be safe.

rlee8394

« Reply #303 on: 28 Jun 2019, 03:01 pm »
Hi Frank,

Sorry, I already used a friends referral code.

I ordered a Model 3 Dual Motor AWD Long Range, Black, Premium interior, standard wheel covers, black interior, and no full self-driving upgrade.

-Ron

mmurt

« Reply #304 on: 28 Jun 2019, 04:28 pm »
Uhhh, where are the pics!!! :D

undertowogt1

« Reply #305 on: 28 Jun 2019, 04:57 pm »
:o :o :o  I've been developing software going on 4 decades for several industries, including 2 decades in automotive engineering. And while I greatly admire the Teslas  :drool:, IMO, software = bugs. Personally, I'd be scared $#!+less to ride in a car that had so many opportunities for failure resulting in catastrophe. Good luck and be safe.
IMO, Humans have many more "bugs" while driving a car. Tesla's can see 360 degrees and react within a fraction of a second. Humans have monkey brains, have a small scope of vision, are distracted and react pretty slow compared to the autopilot computer. Not to mention fools driving while high or drunk or tired. Self driving cars would reduce death rate and and accidents significantly. Check out online videos of teslas saving them selves from an accident, it might just convince you other wise. Not to mention they are the safest car to drive right now.

charmerci

« Reply #306 on: 28 Jun 2019, 05:23 pm »
IMO, Humans have many more "bugs" while driving a car. Tesla's can see 360 degrees and react within a fraction of a second. Humans have monkey brains, have a small scope of vision, are distracted and react pretty slow compared to the autopilot computer. Not to mention fools driving while high or drunk or tired. Self driving cars would reduce death rate and and accidents significantly. Check out online videos of teslas saving them selves from an accident, it might just convince you other wise. Not to mention they are the safest car to drive right now.
I always tell people who are scared of flying that you're actually hundreds of times more likely (1/114 vs. 1/9820) to die in a car crash - and that includes small planes which have a higher risk. I would assume that the injury rate is a car is MUCH more.

"But I'm in control of the car." Yeah, but not of the other people passing by or that you pass by all the time.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #307 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:58 pm »
I always tell people who are scared of flying that you're actually hundreds of times more likely (1/114 vs. 1/9820) to die in a car crash - and that includes small planes which have a higher risk.

AND in addition to that, back when I first took up skydiving I was told you’re safer jumping out of an airplane with a parachute than staying inside the plane. So if you were comfortable with the risk of coming here in an automobile, the risk of being killed or seriously hurt jumping out of an airplane is nothing in comparison.  :lol:

audioengr

« Reply #308 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:19 pm »
AND in addition to that, back when I first took up skydiving I was told you’re safer jumping out of an airplane with a parachute than staying inside the plane. So if you were comfortable with the risk of coming here in an automobile, the risk of being killed or seriously hurt jumping out of an airplane is nothing in comparison.  :lol:

I believe that.  A number of people just died a couple of days ago in a skydiving plane in Hawaii.  One of their worst disasters in years.

Statistics mean nothing for automobiles IMO.  The real risk depends on what car you are driving, what your location is, how defensively you drive, how fast you drive and do you mess with your cell-phone while driving.  I think my risk is very low.  Have not had any accidents in 48 years of driving, both in the city and rural areas, except an idiot on her cell-phone rear-ended me while I was stopped at a stoplight.  It was the Tesla of course.  All fixed and like new now.

charmerci

« Reply #309 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:44 pm »
I believe that.  A number of people just died a couple of days ago in a skydiving plane in Hawaii.  One of their worst disasters in years.

Statistics mean nothing for automobiles IMO.  The real risk depends on what car you are driving, what your location is, how defensively you drive, how fast you drive and do you mess with your cell-phone while driving.  I think my risk is very low.  Have not had any accidents in 48 years of driving, both in the city and rural areas, except an idiot on her cell-phone rear-ended me while I was stopped at a stoplight.  It was the Tesla of course.  All fixed and like new now.
I once had a debate with a guy on-line saying that he was a good driver because he had driven 3 million miles without a fatality. But here's the rub, you have to drive over 100 million miles without a fatality to be above the average!!!

avahifi

« Reply #310 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:47 pm »
A safety expert told me the definition of a good driver many years ago.

A good driver is someone who has not needed to lock and slide his tires to avoid an accident in the past 10 years.

Frank

audioengr

« Reply #311 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:58 pm »
A safety expert told me the definition of a good driver many years ago.

A good driver is someone who has not needed to lock and slide his tires to avoid an accident in the past 10 years.

Frank

That would be me. More like 25 years.  I drive on the shoulder line on two lane highways and watch all of the oncoming traffic.  The fatalities we get here are head-on collisions.  I also have very fast reaction time. You need this when you drive a high-performance car like a Tesla.

rockadanny

« Reply #312 on: 29 Jun 2019, 04:05 pm »
Humans have monkey brains

Agree. And all of that software on the car was written, verified, tested, and guaranteed by monkey-brained humans.  :|

avahifi

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning
« Reply #313 on: 29 Jun 2019, 07:41 pm »
So, I took a 150 mile fun drive this morning from Woodbury down to Nelson on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River and back on the Minnesota side.  I learned a few new things.

How to launch and use the energy graph that shows the energy level the car is using over a user selected distance.  Then it makes a reasonable estimate of remaining range assuming this will be how you continue for the trip.

I figured out how to do voice commands to play the music I like.  Since the car is very quiet, it is easy to hear just how nice the built in music system is. It has 14 built in speakers for starters, and no brand name on the audio electrics.  You can’t even find the audio electronics at all.  Everything is done from the touch screen or with voice commands.

I also figured how to make the navigation map always point the direction I am going instead of always just pointing North.

Finally I played a lot with the traffic aware cruise control.  It’s kinda nice to just sit about 3 seconds back on a pretty busy 2 lane road and just let the Tesla maintain the pace and safe following distance flawlessly. It did scold me a couple times for getting too close to the lane divider. I don’t mind it flashing at me but I gotta figure out how to turn off the loud chime.  Of course hands on steering wheel at all time and pay attention!

So I am becoming more impressed with Bluebot, my smart little personal transportation module, each time I drive her.  The future is really here now.

Frank

undertowogt1

« Reply #314 on: 29 Jun 2019, 09:40 pm »
Agree. And all of that software on the car was written, verified, tested, and guaranteed by monkey-brained humans.  :|
This is true.

audioengr

« Reply #315 on: 29 Jun 2019, 11:28 pm »
So, I took a 150 mile fun drive this morning from Woodbury down to Nelson on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River and back on the Minnesota side.  I learned a few new things.

How to launch and use the energy graph that shows the energy level the car is using over a user selected distance.  Then it makes a reasonable estimate of remaining range assuming this will be how you continue for the trip.

I figured out how to do voice commands to play the music I like.  Since the car is very quiet, it is easy to hear just how nice the built in music system is. It has 14 built in speakers for starters, and no brand name on the audio electrics.  You can’t even find the audio electronics at all.  Everything is done from the touch screen or with voice commands.

I also figured how to make the navigation map always point the direction I am going instead of always just pointing North.

Finally I played a lot with the traffic aware cruise control.  It’s kinda nice to just sit about 3 seconds back on a pretty busy 2 lane road and just let the Tesla maintain the pace and safe following distance flawlessly. It did scold me a couple times for getting too close to the lane divider. I don’t mind it flashing at me but I gotta figure out how to turn off the loud chime.  Of course hands on steering wheel at all time and pay attention!

So I am becoming more impressed with Bluebot, my smart little personal transportation module, each time I drive her.  The future is really here now.

Frank

If everyone would make the choice you did, we might have a planet to live on in the next 50 years.  All it takes is a test drive and they will be hooked.  Elon is quirky, but a genius for sure.

charmerci

« Reply #316 on: 29 Jun 2019, 11:42 pm »
  Elon is quirky, but a genius for sure.
Well duh, all of us geniuses are quirky!   :lol:

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #317 on: 30 Jun 2019, 01:43 am »

So I am becoming more impressed with Bluebot, my smart little personal transportation module, each time I drive her.

So, its female, huh?  With all that testosterone, I thought it would be male.  'Coarse I guess there are fast women too.

rlee8394

« Reply #318 on: 1 Jul 2019, 12:24 am »
So was supposed to have a noon appointment today for delivery of my Model 3 in Rockville MD north of D.C. Turns out the delivery truck is running late. Truck was in Nevada on Thursday night, Iowa City, on Friday, then stuck at a rest stop in Indiana yesterday, and as 6:30 PM this evening in the Pittsburg area. Tesla says they are prepared to stay all day until midnight to ensure all vehicles that arrive are delivered before midnight for us to get the $3750 federal tax credit. I think I am going to miss that tax credit if this doesn't happen before midnight tonight.

-Ron

rlee8394

« Reply #319 on: 1 Jul 2019, 03:59 am »
Picking up now at Tesla 👍