BRYStON BDA-1

mdconnelly

Re: BRYStON BDA-1
« Reply #140 on: 19 Dec 2008, 09:31 pm »
Yes after our investigation and listening tests I think a Digtal/Analog preamp (BDA-1/BP-26 combination) is something we will move towards in the future.

james

PS  I left the 'i' out on purpose :lol:

James, a couple months back you mentioned the above.   Any idea just how far out this might be?   Would this be a new DAC card for the 26 or a whole new product?   I know it's difficult to talk futures but I've got an itch in need of a scratch  :lol:   Any insight is appreciated.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #141 on: 19 Dec 2008, 11:03 pm »
Yes after our investigation and listening tests I think a Digtal/Analog preamp (BDA-1/BP-26 combination) is something we will move towards in the future.

james

James, a couple months back you mentioned the above.   Any idea just how far out this might be?   Would this be a new DAC card for the 26 or a whole new product?   I know it's difficult to talk futures but I've got an itch in need of a scratch  :lol:   Any insight is appreciated.

We have not looked at it yet but I envision a product that would combine the BP26 and the BDA-1 in one product.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #142 on: 19 Dec 2008, 11:47 pm »
That would be incredible. No doubt.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #143 on: 20 Dec 2008, 12:05 am »
Hi Al,

OK - I spoke to my spies and they have set me straight!

The plus or minus 3dB controls the 'OUTPUT LEVEL' and is only suppose to be set once depending on the total 'GAIN' you want in the system.  It is NOT meant to be adjusted as you listen.

So the plus or minus 3dB is available as a CODE on our remote but there are no buttons to adjust it on the fly for the reasons above.

james

Interesting! What setting is the default setting (new, out of the box) with no remote?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #144 on: 20 Dec 2008, 01:16 am »
Hi Al,

The plus or minus 3dB controls the 'OUTPUT LEVEL' and is only suppose to be set once depending on the total 'GAIN' you want in the system.  It is NOT meant to be adjusted as you listen.

So the plus or minus 3dB is available as a CODE on our remote but there are no buttons to adjust it on the fly for the reasons above.

james

Interesting! What setting is the default setting (new, out of the box) with no remote?

0dB.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #145 on: 21 Dec 2008, 10:13 am »
 hi!

for everyone who is interested...

the BDA-1 can have the following settings (via remote): 0dB, -1dB, -2dB, -3dB.

al.

Phil A

« Reply #146 on: 21 Dec 2008, 05:02 pm »

james

We have not looked at it yet but I envision a product that would combine the BP26 and the BDA-1 in one product.

james

James, is this something Bryston envisions looking at sometime in 2009, perhaps to have a prototype at CES in Jan. 2010?  Do you think HT Bypass will be an option too?  Or is it something that will be longer in development?  Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #147 on: 21 Dec 2008, 05:19 pm »

james

james

James, is this something Bryston envisions looking at sometime in 2009, perhaps to have a prototype at CES in Jan. 2010?  Do you think HT Bypass will be an option too?  Or is it something that will be longer in development?  Thanks

HI Phil,

At this point it is just a glint in my eye but I feel as we move towards mutilple digital sources and high quality analog playback the two would mesh nicely in a BP26/BDA-1 type product. We could also, as you say, build in some of the features that customers would have liked it either product such as volume control, passthrough etc.

james

sheppard

« Reply #148 on: 22 Dec 2008, 01:59 am »
Hi Al,

james

0dB.

james

James,
Does changing the setting change the gain in the digital or analog domain? I'm guessing in the analog domain since you've mentioned that your engineers have determined that making changes in the digital domain causes resolution to suffer?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I saw in the specs that the output voltage from the unbalanced output level is 2.3v. Does setting the gain to something other than 0db (-1db for example) effectively lower the output voltage of the BDA-1? This is potentially very useful for me because when I want to listen at low volumes late at night, I need a source that has relatively low gain as my integrated amplifier does not balance well when the volume control is at low levels.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #149 on: 22 Dec 2008, 03:41 pm »
Hi Al,

james

0dB.

james

James,
Does changing the setting change the gain in the digital or analog domain? I'm guessing in the analog domain since you've mentioned that your engineers have determined that making changes in the digital domain causes resolution to suffer?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I saw in the specs that the output voltage from the unbalanced output level is 2.3v. Does setting the gain to something other than 0db (-1db for example) effectively lower the output voltage of the BDA-1? This is potentially very useful for me because when I want to listen at low volumes late at night, I need a source that has relatively low gain as my integrated amplifier does not balance well when the volume control is at low levels.

Hi,

The 3dB output level reduction is done in the Digital mode. With this small a change (3dB) the resolution is not compromised. The reason for the ability to reduce the output level is to prevent some preamplifier's from overloading on their input. 

I do not know if 3dB will be enough to compensate for the volume control mistracking on your integrated amplifier.

james

sheppard

« Reply #150 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:22 am »
Hi Al,

james

0dB.

james

James,

Hi,

The 3dB output level reduction is done in the Digital mode. With this small a change (3dB) the resolution is not compromised. The reason for the ability to reduce the output level is to prevent some preamplifier's from overloading on their input. 

I do not know if 3dB will be enough to compensate for the volume control mistracking on your integrated amplifier.

james

James,
Thanks for your answer. I may just have to experiment.

How do I go about change the gain for the BDA-1? I don't have the Logitech remote that alexone used to change the gain on his BDA-1.

alexone

« Reply #151 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:40 am »
 hi, sheppard!

as far as i know the BR2 universal remote has different codes for the different settings.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #152 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:43 am »
Hi Al,

james

0dB.

james

James,

Hi,

james

James,
Thanks for your answer. I may just have to experiment.

How do I go about change the gain for the BDA-1? I don't have the Logitech remote that alexone used to change the gain on his BDA-1.

Hi,

You have to have a remote- BR2.

james

alexone

« Reply #153 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:46 am »
Hi Al,

james

0dB.

james

James,

Hi,

james

James,

i remember when i was using the SP2 and the BCD-1's unbalanced analog outs the Processor's display showed 'clipping'. is it correct that the ability to reduce the BDA-1's output level can prevent the 'clipping' thing?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #154 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:48 am »
Hi Al,

Correct - the SP2 menu shows clipping (even though it isn't) above 2 Volts (THX requirement) so reducing the gain on the BDA-1 would prevent that.

james

sheppard

« Reply #155 on: 23 Dec 2008, 02:12 am »
hi, sheppard!

as far as i know the BR2 universal remote has different codes for the different settings.

al.

Alexone,
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I want to purchase the remote for a one time gain change - which Logitech remote are you using that let you change the gain on the BDA-1?

alexone

« Reply #156 on: 23 Dec 2008, 08:22 am »
 Sheppard,

i am using the 'Harmony One'. but you can use other Logitech remotes as well. depending on how many units you want to control. the 'Harmony One' can handle up to 15. that's why i bought this one.
Logitech has a huge data base of which you can download (via USB) your own setup remote-codes.

al.

alexone

« Reply #157 on: 23 Dec 2008, 08:36 am »
 Sheppard,

forgot one thing...

what you need is this number: 0810 1500 3478. call Logitech and ask to speak a level 2 tech. they should be able to help you. as far as i know the BDA-1 code is still not in their database. funny thing somehow?!

anyway, try this number and let us know if it works out.

al. :D

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
« Reply #158 on: 29 Dec 2008, 02:59 pm »
I recently received the BDA-1 and BP-26.  I am very please with both of them.  There are still a number of questions i'm still trying to answer.  Like how do you play sample rates higher than 44.1?  How do others have their HiRes content played through this DAC?  If computer is the answer, where do you get the HiRes content?  Downloads, SACD, create your own???

mdconnelly

« Reply #159 on: 29 Dec 2008, 03:30 pm »
... where do you get the HiRes content?  Downloads, SACD, create your own???

Check out hdtracks.com and linnrecords.com.   If there are others, I'd like to hear about them as well.