Adinoto

I read your blog
« on: 11 Jul 2005, 02:51 am »
Don't give up.. well maybe less frequency? More like weekly news

cheers

BobM

I read your blog
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2005, 01:27 pm »
I find it incredibly interesting - please don't stop. How else can us non-engineering DIY people find out about the truly technical side of this hobby/business. I love hearing how the designs morph and improve and what problems and concerns you are encountering at every step.

It's also a great marketing tool for those people most interested in your products. We're the ones most likely to buy the kits, and hearing how you have improved circuits and fixed problems makes us more confident in your designs overall.

One suggestion though, at some point you will have to test out your designs against other well regarded products. So I would expect to see some of that going on as you near the rollout stage.

Please keep the blog coming.

Bob

topster

Me too
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2005, 12:32 am »
Yep, I read it everyday now, just keeping up with the CHIME development. Interesting stuff.

Cheers!

hagtech

I read your blog
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2005, 12:49 am »
It's also a great marketing tool for those people most interested in your products.

Yes, that was exactly its purpose.  So perhaps it is working.  Taking it to the next level, I made that silly videomercial.  Read about how effective "viral" marketing is in Business2.0.  Thought I would give it a try.  Thinking I can reach far more potential customers via a silly video for free than with a $700 print ad.

test out your designs against other

Funny you should mention that.  Every other month our local audiophile group gets together at Uncle Stu's.  We do a lot of tweaking and listening tests, and not just on my stuff.  Everyone brings in their DIY.  We also have invited guests now and then.  The FAL designer from Japan (language translation is not an issue here), Jack Bybee, George Wright, Ray Kimber, etc.  We might be one of the smallest groups around, but our location makes it easy to bring in some big names.  And Stu always has some gadget to blow minds (this time the GSIC).

It's a good place for testing.  Stu has THE BEST listening room acoustics I've ever come across.  And plenty of retail gear for comparison, not to mention a huge assortment of NOS tubes.  It's a candy store full of new and used gear.  Any of you on vacation to Hawaii, you gotta stop in.

Anyway, Saturday we did the CHIME.  Five minutes into it, the tubes had to go.  In went some good old American cold war specials.  Have to admit, the improvement was quite noticeable.  That's the great thing about the CONSTRUCTOR series, roll the tubes for sonic taste.  To me, we hit some magic.  There was not one weak point.  Everything was there, clarity, detail, sounstage, pinpoint focus, depth, transparency, bass, air, rhythm.  Not one hint of harshness or edge, no fatigue.  I don't know what CD we had (I think a compilation), but it sounded fantastic.  Not sure how a shiddy CD will sound.  

I gotta say, this took a huge amount of stress off my shoulders.  It confirmed I was indeed on the right track and that the CHIME will be a homerun.  At least in sonics.  This will be one DAC you will be proud to show off.

jh :)

Yoda

I read your blog
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2005, 02:12 am »
I read it too.  Gives me (undiluted) insight on technical development and process not necessarily elsewhere on the website.  Cool!

Yoda

paba

I read your blog
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2005, 07:06 pm »
I read it too, found it by mistake, spent some time catching up. now I'm on track. Very interesting. Some of it is over my head but I don't mind.
the more DIY audio stuff i can find the happier.
I might be interested in your clock and dac this fall. clock to tweak a DVD player and dac well for the main system.

another product idea would be an active tube heater supply PCB that regulates and provides low noise and high Z output. just two wires input from the transformer and two wires output to the tube socket.

Also a DC blocker PCB that could remove DC from my AC outlet.

keep it up
paba