The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

Captainhemo

Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #860 on: 27 Feb 2020, 06:28 pm »
Tyson,  what  gauge  wire  did you use for the servo output leads  ?

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #861 on: 27 Feb 2020, 07:32 pm »
Tyson,  what  gauge  wire  did you use for the servo output leads  ?

jay

14ga, which you can see from the pics is actually quite a bit heavier than the stock wire that was inside the amp.  I'd have used 12 ga, but I didn't have any on hand, and also 12ga silver would be hella expensive to buy.  So 14ga is where I settled. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #862 on: 21 Mar 2020, 11:50 pm »
Super 7

I recently moved my Super 7s to my living room to give them a little more breathing room and activity as they weren’t being used for a while.  It was tricky running them off my Denon AVR-X2500H receiver but after lots of trial and error I got it working.  One of the best things about the Neo drivers is that they are not ruthlessly revealing.  They are very forgiving and still bring a clarity that is really tough to match.  I’ve been playing lots of tv shows, movies, music, and video games and despite not having tweaked the crossover at all they just sound glorious.  Particularly on video games, they really bring them to life with incredible speed and dynamics.  Even my girlfriend has been enjoying them.  (She has accepted me and my hobby since the beginning!).

I know this might not be helpful right now since the neo10 drivers are unavailable but I just wanted to share my appreciation of these once more.

Captainhemo

« Reply #863 on: 22 Mar 2020, 05:14 pm »
Cool to hear you are both enjoying them  :)

Found your comment   about them not being overly  revealing  interesting....  I'd have to say the exact opposite... my Super7's  continue to amaze people  at how revealing and detailed  they are 
Recently I've spread mine out closer to the side walls   and toe'd them in a bit more,  they have totally disappeared  into the   room and  all we've got  is  sound.  I  was always worried about having them too close to side walls but  they   do not  seem to care

Keep  enjoying them   man

jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #864 on: 22 Mar 2020, 07:26 pm »
I didn’t mean to say the 7’s aren’t highly resolving.  They absolutely are.  What I mean is that they sound great even with a $500 home theater receiver.  As in they don’t require a super high end system to sound great.  I’m sure with better gear they’ll sound even better.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #865 on: 22 Mar 2020, 07:45 pm »
I didn’t mean to say the 7’s aren’t highly resolving.  They absolutely are.  What I mean is that they sound great even with a $500 home theater receiver.  As in they don’t require a super high end system to sound great.  I’m sure with better gear they’ll sound even better.

This is true even with Danny’s inexpensive designs. The X-LS Encores I took to the show last year scale really well. They sound great with $500 amps, better with my $5,000 front end, and even better with a $1,000,000 front end.

Captainhemo

« Reply #866 on: 22 Mar 2020, 08:20 pm »
Yeah, good point  Rob/Mike......    we've made the comment here numerous times..." the speakers are never the limiting factor"

As mentioned  been making a  few changes around here  and  things  just keep  getting better.... kind of wish a fellow who was here   a month or so ago  could hear the Super 7's now....

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #867 on: 27 Mar 2020, 09:48 pm »

This mirrors my experience too.  The Super 7s sound good with anything, and just keep getting better and better as you put better gear in front of them.  It's a really neat trick they pull off - highly resolving and detailed, but extremely musical at the same time.  Usually it's either-or, not both.

daveshear

« Reply #868 on: 22 Apr 2020, 02:54 pm »
Are there (4) NEO10's in each Super-7 Speaker? Thanks!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #869 on: 22 Apr 2020, 03:10 pm »
Are there (4) NEO10's in each Super-7 Speaker? Thanks!

Yes.

AKLegal

« Reply #870 on: 17 May 2020, 05:48 pm »
Given how high the Neo3 is from the floor in the Super 7, has anyone here experimented with leaning your speakers forward?  At my listening postion my ears are about at the level of the very bottom Neo10 and I sit about 10 feet from my speakers.  I angled each of my speakers forward by putting a 1 inch wide 3/4 inch thick piece of mdf under the rear edge.  The sound was immediately fuller, more focused and detailed. 

I am not sure why it took me so long to try this given that I built in a 1/2 inch foward lean into the NX-Ottica monitors (I was a bit anxious about this coming from the shorter Super V's with tweeters just a hair lower than my ears).  So I never really heard the NX-Otticas without a forward lean.

Anyway, if you have a low seat and you sit 11 to 10 feet or less from these amazing speakers this is a cheap enough tweak to try.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #871 on: 17 May 2020, 07:52 pm »
Given how high the Neo3 is from the floor in the Super 7, has anyone here experimented with leaning your speakers forward?  At my listening postion my ears are about at the level of the very bottom Neo10 and I sit about 10 feet from my speakers.  I angled each of my speakers forward by putting a 1 inch wide 3/4 inch thick piece of mdf under the rear edge.  The sound was immediately fuller, more focused and detailed. 

I am not sure why it took me so long to try this given that I built in a 1/2 inch foward lean into the NX-Ottica monitors (I was a bit anxious about this coming from the shorter Super V's with tweeters just a hair lower than my ears).  So I never really heard the NX-Otticas without a forward lean.

Anyway, if you have a low seat and you sit 11 to 10 feet or less from these amazing speakers this is a cheap enough tweak to try.
I think it would depend on the height of your ears in your Primary Listening Position to some degree.

Interesting that you mention this. Shortly after I got my Super 7's, I invited one of my friends from my local Audio Club over hoping for an additional point of view as I moved things around and made various adjustments (He is fairly well regarded as one of the true "Golden Ears" in the group. and not at all shy about giving his opinion). The very first suggestion he made was to raise the back of the speakers and aim the tweeters down a bit. He listened to a certain piece of music (I forget which) and said that the Vocals were "Too High" and likely due to the height of the tweeters.

I later measured the tweeters as around 44" and then the height of my ears when seated as somewhere around 38", so there was a bit of a gap. I then placed a small piece of shelving (covered with a microfiber cloth) under the rear of the speaker. This did result in voices being more focused height-wise. I also pulled out a different chair that was a bit taller (but not as comfortable as my regular chair). Helped in some respects.

On the other hand, I don't think the speakers are anchored to the floor as well, resulting in a decrease in overall focus of instruments.

May work further on it at some point.

mikeeastman

« Reply #872 on: 17 May 2020, 08:59 pm »
I'm getting ready to go full active with my system and have a question on feeding my sub. I will have only a single out for my sub, will I need a Y splitter or can I just go into one RCA on my Rythmik amp?

Early B.

« Reply #873 on: 17 May 2020, 09:04 pm »

Hmmmm.... I don't have Super 7's. Nevertheless, I just measured my tweeter height and it's 48" vs. 38" ear height and I sit 11 feet away from the speakers. I'm gonna try this tonight and report back.

AKLegal

« Reply #874 on: 17 May 2020, 10:01 pm »

Hmmmm.... I don't have Super 7's. Nevertheless, I just measured my tweeter height and it's 48" vs. 38" ear height and I sit 11 feet away from the speakers. I'm gonna try this tonight and report back.

You will probably see less benefit since your speakers are tweeter-midrange where as the super 7 is mtm.   I pretty sure that the benefits I hear are more related to getting the top midrange section more into the action since before hand it was shooting way over my head.  Getting the tweeter in line with the ear is the perfect way to make sure the top and bottom mids are even.

Captainhemo

« Reply #875 on: 17 May 2020, 10:41 pm »
I'm getting ready to go full active with my system and have a question on feeding my sub. I will have only a single out for my sub, will I need a Y splitter or can I just go into one RCA on my Rythmik amp?

Mike, 
Why only  one output ?   I'd be wanting to keep them in stereo.. I know people say it  doesn't make a  difference (stereo vs non-stereo)  but it does, and especially  with the S7's, the  subs are playing up quite  high.    You need them to  be left/right fed

jay

mikeeastman

« Reply #876 on: 17 May 2020, 11:39 pm »
Sorry Jay, I wasn't clear I'm talking about my sealed sub, which is fed off the 7's sub amp outs now, but will have its' own feed completely active. The subs in the 7's will be fed stereo.

Captainhemo

« Reply #877 on: 18 May 2020, 01:23 am »
Sorry Jay, I wasn't clear I'm talking about my sealed sub, which is fed off the 7's sub amp outs now, but will have its' own feed completely active. The subs in the 7's will be fed stereo.

:thumb:

mikeeastman

« Reply #878 on: 18 May 2020, 01:42 am »
So can I feed the mono signal into one RCA in or do I need a Y adaptor?

Early B.

« Reply #879 on: 18 May 2020, 02:54 am »
You will probably see less benefit since your speakers are tweeter-midrange where as the super 7 is mtm.   

OK, here's my quick assessment -- 

I lifted the rear of my speakers about one-half inch and used Barbra Streisand's, "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" as my test track. Immediately, the imaging was improved, and when Neil Diamond cuts in, his voice is much deeper. No question about it. I said to myself, "that's gotta be all in my head." So I went back and forth. The difference was clear. Then I put on a few tracks that I'm more familiar with and can't say definitively it made a difference, but I didn't go back and forth with those songs.  I heard enough to keep the rear of the speakers slightly elevated.