Adding remote attenuation to pair of mono integrated amps

Juan Koopermann

Would like your advice on parts needed and circuit for the following application:

1. I have two mono integrated vintage tube amps, that I would like to add a remote volume/remote balance control to. I believe I could use either one stereo attenuator or two mono attenuators.
2. Would like to bypass the existing pots
3. New solution could possibly be installed in existing chassis (with wired link between the two amps), or the remote could be installed in a small box that sits between the two amps (with a wired link from the new box to each amp)
4. Are there limitations on the length of wired links between mono attenuators and remote control? Are there limitations on length of wired links between stereo attenuator and amps?

What do you suggest? TIA

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: Adding remote attenuation to pair of mono integrated amps
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2009, 03:25 pm »
Hello!

Thanks for the post! From your description it sounds like each mono amp has it's own level control - and I would guess the mono amps are ideally located some distance apart? 

Few options come to mind. We could use a Microtap controller to run the system then put a 50K hybrid module inside each mono amp along with a fiber optic pcb to allow linking up to the Microtap. Sounds complex but it's really not that bad!  With this setup there would be no limit really to the spacing of the amps or the location of the Microtap. If you don't want to even open up the amps and mod them the Bent Unit modules (those black cylinders) could be placed at each amp and then just bypass the volume control inside.

It is possible to do other things like running signals out to a pre-amp box - but that would get kinda limiting when it comes to the location of the boxes. You'd come out of each amp after the source select circuits to the new enclosure and then through the level control (lots of options for what you might use there) then back to the amps. Not as clean from a signal path point of view but may be a bit cheaper depending on what you use for the volume control.  Only really an option if the amps can sit close together with the new box right in between.

Couple ideas to get started anyway.

Thansk!

John
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2009, 02:51 pm by John Chapman »