EMI/RF impact on TVCs?

basstwo

EMI/RF impact on TVCs?
« on: 6 Jul 2004, 06:24 am »
Does John or anybody else know whether EMI/RF interference would affect a TVC pre more so than an active pre?

The reason I ask is that I have just placed a piece of ERS cloth on my Bent TVC (TX102 Mk II Silver) and it seemed to have made a big impact on the sound (a lost less hash) and made it closer to the situation I had before I put in a HT system.  I might try to put a few more pieces on the pre to see if there is an incremental improvement

Any thoughts?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
EMI/RF impact on TVCs?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2004, 09:25 pm »
Hello!

The tvc itself is extremely well shielded - using MU metal. MU metal is WAY more of a shield than the ERS paper so I don't think the ERS would add any shielding to the can itself but the rest of the pre-amp wiring may be affected in a 'high field' area. This would be rare though.

I think the ERS is neat stuff. It is a paper impregnated with flecks of metal (I guess?) and it acts as a sheild. The flecks are not that dense but depending on the wavelength of the noise a screen (with lots of air space -as in 'screen door' material) can do a decent job of sheilding.

One time in a freinds system I tried it on a NOH (right over the transformers with the lid off). Neither I or the other fellow there could tell the difference with our eyes closed. His is a pretty 'clean' room from an electrical point of view so it was maybe not typical or maybe does not match your setup.  My systems here are un-naturally well behaved and I have trouble with those kinds of tests or grounding tests - no matter what config I use it seems to not affect things.....

Fun Stuff - Keep us posted!

Thansk!

John

Al Garay

EMI/RF impact on TVCs?
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2004, 09:36 pm »
If you are having issues with EMI and power noise, I highly recommend you check out Brick Wall audio surge and line filters. The difference was significant for audio and video. Unlike the Panamax and Monstercable units, I did not feel ripped off for $250.

Al

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
EMI/RF impact on TVCs?
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2004, 10:46 pm »
Hello!

A $250 power filter - that is more like it. I was walking through a Future Shop (mid fi / appliance outlet here in town) and I spotted a Monster power filter that was priced at something like $2000. I could not help but wonder who in a mid-fi store would pop the $2K for a power filter....

Thansk!

John

basstwo

EMI/RF impact on TVCs?
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2004, 07:04 am »
In my room,I have a Home Theater system built around a HTPC.  I also have a wireless network running in the house.  The ERS definitely helped so much so that I am putting them in my tube amps and computers AV receiver and so on.  The changes were not transformational but there was a definitely reduction in hash.

Is there anyone here with a "dirty" environment who might be able comment.  Just would like to corroborate my actual experience.