Bryston Loudspeakers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2660 on: 19 May 2018, 12:33 pm »
Hi Folks

After all these years some things in this hobby still surprise me.

Just for fun I set up our least expensive speaker system and I just can not believe how great it sounds. The speakers just disappear and the soundstage is huge!

Anyway just reinforces the fact that with all the angst about getting an acoustically designated listening room and all the trimmings does not guarantee sonic bliss where an old bedroom and a quick setup results in a terrific presentation  -  go figure  :scratch:

Mag

« Reply #2661 on: 19 May 2018, 02:37 pm »
I have a bedroom that with very little sound power as in satellite speakers sounded great. Problem is the room is not soundproof and at the spl I listen at would be heard at the end of the street.

Yesterday just for reference I used my computer as a source, to the BDA-1 & SP2 internal dac, with no other changes to the setup. The music sounded clinical, whereas the BCD-3 has an organic quality, the difference IMO is marginal. That difference, music played through the BCD-3, gives me sonic bliss. YMMV  :smoke:

jay5150

« Reply #2662 on: 26 May 2018, 11:52 am »
Hi James,
I was wondering what would be the best way to add a Mini T Subwoofer to my Mini T speakers. The preamp I use has only 1 stereo output (going to the amp and them to the Mini T speakers). I see the Mini T Subwoofer only has a "mono" input. Is there a reason why you didn't make it stereo so we can use its internal crossover before sending the signal to the mains amplifier?
Also, would it be ok to place the Mini T speakers on a pair of Mini T Subwoofer (in a 2.2 system)? The height would be perferct and it would make it look like a floorstanding speakers without taking to much space in the room.

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2663 on: 26 May 2018, 01:35 pm »
Hi James,
I was wondering what would be the best way to add a Mini T Subwoofer to my Mini T speakers. The preamp I use has only 1 stereo output (going to the amp and them to the Mini T speakers). I see the Mini T Subwoofer only has a "mono" input. Is there a reason why you didn't make it stereo so we can use its internal crossover before sending the signal to the mains amplifier?
Also, would it be ok to place the Mini T speakers on a pair of Mini T Subwoofer (in a 2.2 system)? The height would be perferct and it would make it look like a floorstanding speakers without taking to much space in the room.

Thanks!

Hi Jay

The electronic crossovers in most subs are not of the quality we thought necessary to allow the Main signal to pass through or be manipulated.

So I have used the Mini T Subs with the Mint T's in Room 2 with excellent results just letting the Mini T's run full range and bring the Mini T Subs in using their rear panel controls to allow for a smooth transition.

I have not used the Mini T on top of the Mini T Sub but thats a neat idea but make sure you use some isolation and vibration control between the two.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2664 on: 8 Jun 2018, 06:18 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator

Mike-48

« Reply #2666 on: 13 Jul 2018, 09:52 pm »
James, thanks for posting the link to "What Are Measurements Good For?"  An excellent essay, IMO.

scirica

« Reply #2667 on: 30 Jul 2018, 11:34 pm »
James: How do I find out which generation tweeters are in my Model T’s? Serial numbers are 44167111510101SR Right and 44167111510001SR Left.

Thanks,

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2668 on: 31 Jul 2018, 01:01 pm »
James: How do I find out which generation tweeters are in my Model T’s? Serial numbers are 44167111510101SR Right and 44167111510001SR Left.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

If they have a 'mesh' around the tweeter dome then they are the new tweeters.

james

scirica

« Reply #2669 on: 31 Jul 2018, 11:30 pm »
They do. Thanks James!

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2670 on: 31 Aug 2018, 01:39 am »
Hi James,

I used to own a pair of Mini T's and loved them. I traded them in for another brand (ATC) in an attempt to gain more midrange depth...if that makes any sense. Anyway, i've been missing the Mini's lately.

I am intrigued by the Model A's.

How would you compare the Mini T's to the Model A's in terms of soundstage, bass response, and SPL?
And...do they come in white?

Thanks as always,

TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2671 on: 31 Aug 2018, 05:34 am »
Hi James,

I used to own a pair of Mini T's and loved them. I traded them in for another brand (ATC) in an attempt to gain more midrange depth...if that makes any sense. Anyway, i've been missing the Mini's lately.

I am intrigued by the Model A's.

How would you compare the Mini T's to the Model A's in terms of soundstage, bass response, and SPL?
And...do they come in white?

Thanks as always,

TJ

Hi TJ

The Model A1's and A2's will play with greater SPL with less distortion than the Mini T's due to the double mids and tweets. Doubling up on drivers makes a huge difference when it comes to the ability to create real world dynamics.

Bass response will be similar with the A1's having a bit more low end capability than the Mini T's.

Sound stage is excellent on the A's due to the very small baffle so it might give the edge to the A Series when it comes to out of the box soundstage capability.

james
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2018, 01:26 am by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2672 on: 31 Aug 2018, 09:00 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Mini A Speaker – Dealer Comments

September, 2018

Bryston Mini As are back in stock and in a new(ish) finish - Espresso Walnut. I have to say this loudspeaker is one of the best values in our store.

It seems like a good time to quote myself from way back in November of 2015.

"Every once in a while a product comes along that completely defies expectation. The Bryston Mini A is that product! ...

This modestly sized, three-way stand mount loudspeaker is remarkable in its ability to disappear.

The bass weight is fantastic considering the low end duties are left to a 6 1/2″ woofer. Coherence is another strong suit; close your eyes and you’d swear you were in front of a pair of Magnepans.
They are that good.

At $1500.00/pair, they may be over looked by some and that would be a big mistake."

Simon,
Audio Ark

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2673 on: 1 Sep 2018, 12:07 am »
Thanks James!

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2674 on: 18 Sep 2018, 12:22 am »
Hi TJ

The Model A1's and A2's will play with greater SPL with less distortion than the Mini T's due to the double mids and tweets. Doubling up on drivers makes a huge difference when it comes to the ability to create real world dynamics.

Bass response will be similar with the A1's having a bit more low end capability than the Mini T's.

Sound stage is excellent on the A's due to the very small baffle so it might give the edge to the A Series when it comes to out of the box soundstage capability.

james

Hi James

I just purchased a pair of Bryston Model A1's - and after only 2 listening sessions - all I can say is WOW! These babies are the real deal.  Effortless power.  Will write more once they get settled into my room and i finish tweaking placement, etc... but super happy so far!

back to an all-bryston system once again - from source to speakers!! Love it :)

TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2675 on: 18 Sep 2018, 10:52 am »

Hi James

I just purchased a pair of Bryston Model A1's - and after only 2 listening sessions - all I can say is WOW! These babies are the real deal.  Effortless power.  Will write more once they get settled into my room and i finish tweaking placement, etc... but super happy so far!

back to an all-bryston system once again - from source to speakers!! Love it :)

TJ

Hi TJ

Great to hear your comments about the Bryston A1 speakers - I know it sounds ridiculous and self-serving but at this price point I truly believe our Bryston speakers rival speakers costing 2 to 3 times more.  The negative comments I get on our speakers always has to do with the more traditional cosmetics (they are not pretty enough) - but that is not what our speakers are about - they provide state of the art performance and represent incredible value. :thumb:

james

Mag

« Reply #2676 on: 18 Sep 2018, 11:35 am »
Exactly, I can't see my Model T's, cause they're black and I'm sitting in the dark about to crank some music. It's performance not cosmetics for me. Audiophiles would be amazed at the soundstage imaging I get from these speakers in my 8'x 11'x 25' room. :drool:

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2677 on: 18 Sep 2018, 08:46 pm »
Hey Mag - I've got the black versions too - and very impressed with the quality of the finish - nice and smooth with evident wood grain.

Totally agree with JT and your comment - it's all about high performance and value for the money. AND the incredible 20-year warranty from a Canadian company is icing on the cake. Not to mention their stunning ability to maintain control at higher volumes.  Just FANTASTIC!  :thumb:

Thanks Bryston!

TJ

ps. try listening to "Burn One Down" from Ben Harper's Live from Mars album. The percussion / drums are so freeking real it's unbelievable. Give 'er a go!

Mag

« Reply #2678 on: 19 Sep 2018, 01:28 am »
ps. try listening to "Burn One Down" from Ben Harper's Live from Mars album. The percussion / drums are so freeking real it's unbelievable. Give 'er a go!

Don't have that one, I've been listening to Sade (smooth jazz) lately on Youtube. I find her music to be audiophile quality and really shows off my $40,000 Bryston stereo system. :inlove:

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2679 on: 19 Sep 2018, 10:03 pm »
Don't have that one, I've been listening to Sade (smooth jazz) lately on Youtube. I find her music to be audiophile quality and really shows off my $40,000 Bryston stereo system. :inlove:

Mag - not sure if part of your Bryston system includes a Digital Player and DAC - but if it does - I'd recommend getting setup with Tidal/Roon. You'll have access to essentially unlimited musical selections - and at CD resolution (minimum). I believe to be very good value for the money.  :thumb: