Crossover Modification Help and Advice

TexE4D

Crossover Modification Help and Advice
« on: 27 Aug 2020, 02:13 am »
I have a couple of questions regarding crossover modifications:

1) I've read when adding a bypass capacitor it's capacitance value should be within 1% or less the regular capacitor. If my highpass cap is 33uF, would the correct bypass value be 0.33uF, and what level of quality should it be? I've seen here on this forum, the Milfex capacitor is used frequently.

2) When upgrading the lowpass filter inductor, what is the effect if the coil resistance is not matched? I currently have a 10mH iron-core inductor with a 0.35 ohm resistance. I want to upgrade to an air-core foil inductor. How closely should I try to match the coil internal resistance, the foil gauges vary from 16AWG to 8AWG?

mikeeastman

Re: Crossover Modification Help and Advice
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2020, 02:23 am »
0.1uf will work fine, the miflex are nice by pass caps I replaced Sonicap platinums and it was nice upgrade. What cap is your 33uf cap?

Can't help you on inductor resistance, but the foil inductors will also be a nice upgrade.

TexE4D

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2020, 02:42 am »
I'm replacing Mundorf Classic MCap250 capacitors with new Copper Caps.

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2020, 04:06 am »
Then go with milfex they sound very good with my copper caps.

TexE4D

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2020, 05:00 am »
Thanks for the sharing yours experience and advice using bypass caps. Does it matter the Milflex series KFPM, KPAL, or KPCU?
I'm wondering if there a procedure for calculating the optimal performance for a bypass cap?

mikeeastman

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2020, 12:50 pm »
I uses the KCPU, which is what I believe Danny recommends. On the GR X-over I've built or up graded they have all been 0.1uf by pass caps.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2020, 03:07 pm »
While I haven’t tried them as a bypass, I did use the KFPM Caps as coupling caps in my latest tube amp build and they sound great. 

TexE4D

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2020, 04:48 pm »
I just read in another string about bypass capacitors, where they did cascaded capacitors, using a 0.1uF and a 0.01uF in parallel for the bypass.
Is there validity to this technique, would this increase the effectiveness of the bypass?
Is this like adding a bypass to the bypass?
Has anyone here done this?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2020, 06:52 pm »
I think adding a bypass to the bypass is probably more than necessary.  I wouldn’t bother.