NX-Otica kits are ready to ship.

Captainhemo

Re: NX-Otica kits are ready to ship.
« Reply #60 on: 13 Sep 2019, 04:39 pm »
the NX-Otica   (non mtm  version) is only  about 75 lbs built  so they really  aren't  overly heavy to move around.
In a  small/medium room  such as mine (18x12),  the NX-Otica's do  very well on their own with no subs.  I posted some RtA  graphs of in room response  I was getting (I'll see if I can dig up the thread),  Ron Breny of NRD jumped in and posted similar  results with   his  NX-Otica's in a similar  sized room.

Here it is,     this  graph was using  a little  low end boost below  40hz in  Roon's Parametric EQ ( no subs)

Here's the   thread if you want  to see a bit more
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158550.msg1697216#msg1697216

When  we  compared the NX-Otica's & dual H-frames to the  NX mtm's & dual  h-frames,  we always preferred the   NX-Oticas.  The better integration with the subs  and additional   punch in the  100-200 hz range  from the additional 4 M165(X)'s per side  was very noticable.   Having those  extra 4  woofers  per channel also  eliminates teh  low end workload from the  2  M165NQ midrange drivers on each side and leaves them to focus solely on the midrange.

Yes,  withthe full  Otica's you  have to high pass the  M165NQ's  with a  large bundle of caps butwe didn't notice  any loss of  detail in the midrange.

The Mtm's are great if you  don't  have the space and definately want the  subs but, if you  have the room  or are in a smaller room and  don't mind going  subless,  my personal recommendation would be the full  NX-Otica's.

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #61 on: 13 Sep 2019, 04:59 pm »
Jay pretty well nailed the comparison.

Jaytor

« Reply #62 on: 30 Sep 2019, 08:20 pm »
Hi folks.

I'm intrigued by these speakers, but have a question regarding the sloping baffle. What's the purpose of sloping them back? Doesn't that result in time misalignment of the drivers (particularly the two midrange drivers)? Is this primarily for aesthetics?

Thanks,
Jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #63 on: 1 Oct 2019, 03:51 am »
Hi folks.

I'm intrigued by these speakers, but have a question regarding the sloping baffle. What's the purpose of sloping them back? Doesn't that result in time misalignment of the drivers (particularly the two midrange drivers)? Is this primarily for aesthetics?

Thanks,
Jay

The baffle is only angled back 3 degrees. So it is not enough to change the time arrival of the mids more than 3 or 4 degrees of phase rotation at the top of their range.

And yes, the angled baffle looks good.

Jaytor

« Reply #64 on: 1 Oct 2019, 07:00 pm »
Thanks Danny. I do think they look better angled back. I was mostly curious as to whether there was any sonic benefit of doing this.

Best,
Jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #65 on: 1 Oct 2019, 08:13 pm »
Thanks Danny. I do think they look better angled back. I was mostly curious as to whether there was any sonic benefit of doing this.

Best,
Jay

Well, if you think of being on axis as a point where they have perfect phase then tilting it up a little will bring that up more toward the center axis of the room. So theoretically it could load the room a little more evenly.

morganc

« Reply #66 on: 7 Oct 2019, 02:57 am »
Are the full NX Oticas kits still available?   If so, do I have any DIY friends with skills near 94941 :)?

Captainhemo

« Reply #67 on: 7 Oct 2019, 03:08 am »
Yes, they are  available.

jay

morganc

« Reply #68 on: 7 Oct 2019, 05:53 am »
Thanks Jay.  I have not heard any of the latest GR Research Speakers but owned a pair of Super V's in the past and loved them.  How do these compare (minus the bass?).  If this has been answered elsewhere, apologies.  Just trying to get a sense of what these sound like.   

Morgan

AKLegal

« Reply #69 on: 7 Oct 2019, 02:14 pm »
Thanks Jay.  I have not heard any of the latest GR Research Speakers but owned a pair of Super V's in the past and loved them.  How do these compare (minus the bass?).  If this has been answered elsewhere, apologies.  Just trying to get a sense of what these sound like.   

Morgan

I replaced my pair of Super Vs with the monitor version of the NX-Oticas.  They are both amazing speakers but the NX-Oticas are better in every way unless your main and only concern is super loud playback.  The Super Vs are easier to drive and can take what seems to be an unlimited amount of power.   I often felt like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk71h2CQ_xM in a very good way.  The NX-Oticas are more versatile, detailed and nuanced.  They image better than the Super Vs and have a larger and deeper soundstage.   
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2019, 07:46 pm by AKLegal »

morganc

« Reply #70 on: 8 Oct 2019, 02:45 am »
Thank you!  That's a big endorsement.  I loved the Super V's! 

bsr

« Reply #71 on: 9 Oct 2019, 02:04 am »
I replaced my pair of Super Vs with the monitor version of the NX-Oticas.  They are both amazing speakers but the NX-Oticas are better in every way unless your main and only concern is super loud playback.  The Super Vs are easier to drive and can take what seems to be an unlimited amount of power.   I often felt like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk71h2CQ_xM in a very good way.  The NX-Oticas are more versatile, detailed and nuanced.  They image better than the Super Vs and have a larger and deeper soundstage.   
I’m pretty much set on getting some form of the Oticas...just trying to decide between the full version vs monitors. I was kinda sold on the full version but endorsements like this make me reconsider. 

rockadanny

« Reply #72 on: 9 Oct 2019, 11:30 am »
Any specs on the monitors?
Can they be successfully combined with other (non GR Research) subs?
Where can I see a photo of the monitors?

Danny Richie

« Reply #73 on: 9 Oct 2019, 03:39 pm »
Any specs on the monitors?
Can they be successfully combined with other (non GR Research) subs?
Where can I see a photo of the monitors?

See some information here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165101.msg1755103#msg1755103

They can be used with any open baffle subs capable of playing smoothly up to 150Hz or so.

See some pics here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149272.msg1596500#msg1596500

Captainhemo

« Reply #74 on: 9 Oct 2019, 04:10 pm »
I’m pretty much set on getting some form of the Oticas...just trying to decide between the full version vs monitors. I was kinda sold on the full version but endorsements like this make me reconsider.

I've mentioned this previously in another post, can't recall which but...   if space is not an issue, go with the full Otica's and subs vs the  MTM/sub combo.  When I had both here, the MTM's did not stay in the system for  long,. The MTM's are good but they are not the  full version. Those extra  4 woofers  make a big difference, not only  in the integration with the subs but  also for easing the workload (excersion)  on the M16NQ midrange  woofers.
By crossing at  say 75hz , maybe lower depending on your room, you  have  much more flexability positioning the subs as well.

jay

rockadanny

« Reply #75 on: 9 Oct 2019, 04:15 pm »
They can be used with any open baffle subs capable of playing smoothly up to 150Hz or so.

So my pair of sealed, 12" powered driver subs with infinite variable pass up to 250Hz would not do well?
Must be OB? Not a great idea to mix OB and sealed?

rockadanny

« Reply #76 on: 21 Oct 2019, 08:17 pm »
Yello? Anyone?
My 12" sealed subs are ATI Titans, so very flexible adjustments. In addition to infinite variable low pass adjustments, including slope, from 25Hz-250Hz, also have Line Level High Pass Outputs as well.
Or would I need a custom crossover or something?

Danny Richie

« Reply #77 on: 21 Oct 2019, 08:29 pm »
So my pair of sealed, 12" powered driver subs with infinite variable pass up to 250Hz would not do well?
Must be OB? Not a great idea to mix OB and sealed?

You can use those subs with the NX-Otica's. They won't be as fast, detailed, or controlled like our servo subs. And they will pressurize and load the room differently than an open baffle sub. But they can be made to blend well with them.

jparkhur

« Reply #78 on: 21 Oct 2019, 11:13 pm »
When Mike designed the ACI sub there were a couple variations of the driver but similar Triad solid state amp.  If you have the round side sub that’s version 1 and the one with four legs is 2.  Both are nice but like Danny says they won’t be as fast as servos.  You could always put a sealed 12 servo in the ACI down firing cabinet and just tweak the amp hole.  I think there is 1.5 to 2 cubic feet inside.  I had a bunch of Mikes stuff as he worked down the street. 

rockadanny

« Reply #79 on: 22 Oct 2019, 11:27 am »
OK, thank you Danny.  :thumb:

@jparkhur - I've got a 4-legged version 2 and the one after that (even heavier, black satin, square but all edges rounded with rounded slots on each side at the bottom), which was made just prior to Mike closing shop. These subs are pretty awesome. Were I to try the MTMs I'd first try the subs as is. But a very cool idea! Thank you for sharing.  :thumb: