How Much Power Can CAM's Handle?

Slapshot

How Much Power Can CAM's Handle?
« on: 23 Apr 2022, 06:49 pm »
I've been powering my CAM's beautifully with a 16wpc tubed amplifier. However, for a few reasons, I am now going to have to move to a solid state integrated. A friend has an excellent one available (as he just moved to the same company's much more expensive high-end separates and has offered me an excellent deal on it. However, I'm concerned that it is simply more powerful than the CAM's can handle.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: How Much Power Can CAM's Handle?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2022, 06:53 pm »
There is a thing called a volume control in most systems, if you turn it way up and the speakers start to sound distressed, turn it down.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2022, 06:54 pm »
I wouldn't be too concerned. Speakers are ofen damaged by excessive volume with underpowered amps.  Lots of audiophiles run with amps that exceed the max power ratings of the speakers with no issues.

There's an old saying: Speakers do not like to reproduce square waves.  :o

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2022, 07:02 pm »
Speakers are ofen damaged by excessive volume with underpowered amps.

Statements like this are very misleading, no one ever damages a speaker with "under powered" amps (whatever that means) without being drunk, stupid, or both.

Slapshot

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2022, 07:06 pm »
I wouldn't be too concerned. Speakers are ofen damaged by excessive volume with underpowered amps.  Lots of audiophiles run with amps that exceed the max power ratings of the speakers with no issues.

There's an old saying: Speakers do not like to reproduce square waves.  :o

Thanks. I was aware of this, and have even done it myself in the past. However, I was warned by an audio industry expert that single driver speaker designs cannot tolerate a lot of power very well, even when not played at anything like excessive volume. Which is what prompted my question here. The integrated amp in question is 200wpc. Granted, I very seldom ever play music loudly in this setup.

Slapshot

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2022, 04:39 am »
Can anyone provide more clarification on this? Any assistance appreciated.

I realize that quality amplification that is higher in power than a speakers max recommendation can be used, but I'm concerned that the amount of power that I am proposing would be past that point.

My other concern is the comment made to me about single driver speaker designs be less well able to handle a lot of power.

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2022, 04:53 am »
Statements like this are very misleading, no one ever damages a speaker with "under powered" amps (whatever that means)

Yes they can, if they crank the volume on a low power amp and it goes into clipping.  That damages speakers.  The amp is "under powered" for the speaker's sensitivity,  meaning that desired db levels can't be achieved.  It won't happen on a high power amp because it won't clip.

So to answer the OP question:   no, high power into an easy to drive speaker can't damage the speaker.  Your ears will give out before the amp clips.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2022, 05:39 am »
Can anyone provide more clarification on this? Any assistance appreciated.

I realize that quality amplification that is higher in power than a speakers max recommendation can be used, but I'm concerned that the amount of power that I am proposing would be past that point.

My other concern is the comment made to me about single driver speaker designs be less well able to handle a lot of power.
but I'm concerned that the amount of power that I am proposing would be past that point.
You are talking as if you will be using the 200W max power all the time.
You dont intend use the volume control ?
Iam sure the Omega owner manual is informing the speaker rated power
I believe that with this information your prob is fully resolved.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2022, 05:57 am »
Thanks. I was aware of this, and have even done it myself in the past. However, I was warned by an audio industry expert that single driver speaker designs cannot tolerate a lot of power very well, even when not played at anything like excessive volume. Which is what prompted my question here. The integrated amp in question is 200wpc. Granted, I very seldom ever play music loudly in this setup.
He may have said this because FR drivers handle all freqs from bass to hi treble, what is old news, obvious information, use your ears to monitor the speakers and enjoy.

seikosha

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2022, 07:51 am »
The simple answer is that it you listen at the same loudness level no matter what amp you are using, it doesn’t matter if the amp is 15 watts or 500 watts.  That said, if you listen too loud with an underpowered amplifier and cause that amp to clip, you can do damage.

If you are getting this new amp in order to allow yourself to increase your volume to louder than before levels, then you have to be aware that at a certain point, you could potentially damage your speakers and yes, single drivers, generally speaking will not handle as much power as traditional speakers.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2022, 12:53 pm »
The simple answer is that it you listen at the same loudness level no matter what amp you are using, it doesn’t matter if the amp is 15 watts or 500 watts.  That said, if you listen too loud with an underpowered amplifier and cause that amp to clip, you can do damage.

As you say the speakers need x watts for a desired listening level, if we can reach that without destroying something it does not matter how much unused power we have.
Clipping that can do damage is easy to hear and the solution is turn it down.
Too much power can do damage also.
In both cases the problem is not too much or not enough power, it is not having a system capable enough to do what the owner wants to achieve in SPL. Try using a shoe box size pair of speakers for a dance club with as many watts as you can get, it won't be clipping that damages them.
Operator error damages speakers and again clipping that can cause damage is easy to hear.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2022, 01:23 pm »
Louis will not reveal how much power his drivers will handle, he's absolutely phobic to specifications.  So everyone has to dance around this issue.  Yes clipping (overloading - producing a square wave) a small amp is more dangerous to the driver (can burn out the voice coil as it tries to duplicate the square wave) than being overloaded with a clean/undistorted signal. 

My concern in your case is the usable range of the volume control on a 200 wpc amp when used with this loudspeaker.  Older style volume controls or pots (as they were called) had a nasty habit of being extremely sensitive at normal listening levels (having a usable range varying between say 9AM and 10AM on the dial) with sensitive loudspeakers.  See if you can try it out before purchase.

Slapshot

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2022, 04:20 pm »
Louis will not reveal how much power his drivers will handle, he's absolutely phobic to specifications.  So everyone has to dance around this issue.  Yes clipping (overloading - producing a square wave) a small amp is more dangerous to the driver (can burn out the voice coil as it tries to duplicate the square wave) than being overloaded with a clean/undistorted signal. 

My concern in your case is the usable range of the volume control on a 200 wpc amp when used with this loudspeaker.  Older style volume controls or pots (as they were called) had a nasty habit of being extremely sensitive at normal listening levels (having a usable range varying between say 9AM and 10AM on the dial) with sensitive loudspeakers.  See if you can try it out before purchase.

Thanks JLM. This is a newer design amplifier, and should not have the volume control issue. but it's certainly something too look into. I'm sure my friend will loan me the amp to try it.

Slapshot

« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2022, 04:24 pm »

If you are getting this new amp in order to allow yourself to increase your volume to louder than before levels, then you have to be aware that at a certain point, you could potentially damage your speakers and yes, single drivers, generally speaking will not handle as much power as traditional speakers.

I'm certainly not getting the amplifier to provide more volume. My listening levels will remain exactly the same. I am considering it because it is an extremely well designed and constructed amplifier, with exceptional sound, that a friend will make available to me at a price allowing me to afford something I otherwise couldn't.

And again, my concerns are solely based on what I had been told about having to be careful not to pair too much power with a single driver speaker system, regardless of sound levels.

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2022, 06:27 pm »
It'll be 100% fine. As others have stated you're far more likely to damage the speakers with a clipped signal than with excess clean power. Realistically, you can damage any speaker with too much power or too little power. So whoever told you to be careful about using a 200 wpc amp with a FR driver should've added more detail to their overly generalized statement (if they even knew what they were talking about). Small, single, FR driver, speakers are not designed for rock concert levels of playback. That's just a fact. With that understanding, keep the volume control at an appropriate level and don't punish them with the bass knob turned to 11. If you somehow accidentally destroy your drivers (which would be quite difficult to do in normal domestic settings) Louis will take care of you. He's the best! Give the amp a try.