Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers
« Reply #60 on: 2 Jun 2015, 03:23 am »

Jorgen, black and white pictures have always appealed to me.  They bring my artistic juices to the surface.  They also render texture, light, and shadow better than color.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #61 on: 2 Jun 2015, 04:41 am »
Jorgen,

You speakers look so familiar!  Even with the longer grill, they feel like family.  :)

BTW, did you know the King of Norway was in Anchorage last week?  How cool is that?

........Peter

jorgen

« Reply #62 on: 2 Jun 2015, 04:51 pm »
Hi
Peter ; no was not aware, not royalist I guess. They travel a lot, trying to pave the way for international business and keeping up relations.

They should look a little familiar I guess, they are the baby brother aren't they? When will you receive your new pair?

CR, black and white looks good in pictures,  And helps camouflage dust.... But I do think the picture turned out good for a mobile phone camera.   

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #63 on: 2 Jun 2015, 05:21 pm »
They should look a little familiar I guess, they are the baby brother aren't they? When will you receive your new pair?

Still a few weeks.  Louis has made the basic shell thus far.  Still a ways to go.  I told him not to hurry.  I've got great sound now and family coming to visit late June/early July when I will be distracted and travelling within the state.  I'm hoping by mid-July at the latest as a forum member is visiting up here and we hope to have a listen together.

........Peter

Flinx99

« Reply #64 on: 2 Jun 2015, 09:12 pm »
Wow, what an improvement.  Very cool looking system Flinx.  Super 3i and English Class D.  I too am running Super 3i and English Class D and loving it.

Thanks.  The desk is large enough that I can move the speakers around to change the soundstage.  Without the wall directly behind the speakers, the soundstage seems to open up a bit.  Unfortunately, one of my amps dropped about 5 dB in volume, so I sent it back and need to wait for the exchange.  I tried everything, but only confirmed that there was an issue with the amp.  It certainly answered my question about needing to continue with monoblocks with the overkill in power I now have----I noticed the difference in sound right away.  If I hadn't had two amps already, I would have been completely happy with the soundstage from just one, but having heard two together, I can't wait to get the other one back.   

Jim
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2015, 04:03 am by Flinx99 »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 2 Jun 2015, 10:16 pm »
That's one thing (among others) I love about the Super 3i - It's flexability.  Hope you get your other amp back soon.  I'm loving my Class D amp with these speakers.
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2015, 03:14 pm by Canada Rob »

MPSchenck

« Reply #66 on: 7 Jun 2015, 01:32 am »
I just got my set up to a stopping point and I'm finally able to share.
I'm still messing around with exact placement.

I also wanted to share this thing. I built it myself (even cut the glass). I know it not as nice as the ones you can buy but I like it.
It holds my TT specific headshells and a range of cartridges, plus the extra tonearm counterweight.

RDavidson

« Reply #67 on: 7 Jun 2015, 01:36 am »
Very cool setup. The cartridge case is great! I love how it displays them like small piece of art.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: 7 Jun 2015, 01:53 am »
MPSchenck, your entire system is a classic example of what can be done for a relatively small investment, yet end up with sound that no doubt smashes the price/performance barrier.  IMO one of the coolest little systems I've seen.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #69 on: 7 Jun 2015, 02:14 am »
Looks great MPS!

My system is part of a Frankenstein experiment right now so I can't share pics... yet.  :wink:

MPSchenck

« Reply #70 on: 7 Jun 2015, 02:39 am »
Very cool setup. The cartridge case is great! I love how it displays them like small piece of art.

Thanks! I wanted to display them and keep them safe and clean. I looked up a couple of pro made ones after I posted that image above, and was shocked by how unattractive [some] and expensive they [all] are.

MPSchenck, your entire system is a classic example of what can be done for a relatively small investment, yet end up with sound that no doubt smashes the price/performance barrier.  IMO one of the coolest little systems I've seen.

Thanks! I will say that the speakers cost roughly what the all the other equipment combined cost minus the TT cartridge, a Denon DL-110, and "budget" AudioQuest cables.
Somebody looking to save some money wouldn't have to opt for the Omega upgrade finish. Also, there are some really great less expensive cartridges, and everyone says cables are the last thing you should upgrade.

I haven't actually heard any super elite expensive systems, but now I don't really care, mine set up sounds great to me. And really, that's all that matters.   

Flinx99

« Reply #71 on: 7 Jun 2015, 04:15 am »
I'm continuing to break in the speakers and I'm continuing with tweaking the setup.  I built some 24 in. stands from some spare wood I had in the garage.  I used a 2x12, a 2x4, and a 4x4 to bring them to a height below the level of my desk.  I put the stands behind my desk and used a sandwich of 9 porcelain tiles per stand and Auralex Mopads to bring the speakers up to listening height.  I would like to eventually replace the top set of Mopads with Isoacoutic stands, but that will have to wait a bit.  Having the speakers so close to the wall helps the bass quite a bit---I ended up dialing down the crossover on my sub a bit.

I am very happy with the sound at around 30 hours of runtime. 

Flinx99

« Reply #72 on: 7 Jun 2015, 01:50 pm »
I just got my set up to a stopping point and I'm finally able to share.
I'm still messing around with exact placement.

I also wanted to share this thing. I built it myself (even cut the glass). I know it not as nice as the ones you can buy but I like it.
It holds my TT specific headshells and a range of cartridges, plus the extra tonearm counterweight.

That's a very slick display case.

I received my Super 3i monitors a little over a week after you received yours.  I'm interested to hear how yours develop as they break in.  My set up is on the other end of the spectrum----I'm using a class D amp and all digital sources.  I run mostly Internet streamed music and when I listen to my library, the source is ripped CDs (AIFF and some FLAC) housed on an external HDD in another part of my house.

Jim

jimdgoulding

« Reply #73 on: 7 Jun 2015, 02:15 pm »
If you listen to a lot of classical music or music made on location in general, to fully appreciate ALL of what the mics captured and able to be revealed, sure do recommend that anybody get their speakers out further into their room.

MPSchenck

« Reply #74 on: 7 Jun 2015, 02:45 pm »
If you listen to a lot of... ...music made on location in general, to fully appreciate ALL of what the mics captured and able to be revealed, sure do recommend that anybody get their speakers out further into their room.

I really like and have a lot of live albums. How far out into the room are we talking?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #75 on: 7 Jun 2015, 02:47 pm »
Jim,
Considering the width of your room, as much percent is the speakers spacing you prefer?

Flinx99

« Reply #76 on: 7 Jun 2015, 03:03 pm »
If you listen to a lot of classical music or music made on location in general, to fully appreciate ALL of what the mics captured and able to be revealed, sure do recommend that anybody get their speakers out further into their room.

Hi.  Thanks for the info.  Since upgrading my equipment, I've really noticed what you are describing.  Not only am I constrained by time, space (we don't have basements in Houston--- so no chance of a man-cave for me), and budget, I spend a good deal of time in front of my computer for work, news reading, and because I'm an odd duck, relaxation.  Focusing my audio efforts on my computer space just made logical sense for me.  Putting money on equipment out in the family area so that it can play the audio for Frozen just doesn't make sense on my budget.   :D

I have the Super 3i monitors and a small scale listening area (room is large, though, so I try to avoid reflections where ever possible), so I have the flexibility of putting my speakers almost in the center of the room when I have time to focus solely on listening to music.  I don't know that this is ideal, but the soundstage sure opens up.  I dial up the crossover on my sub to compensate for the low end when there's no wall behind the speakers.

Louis O

« Reply #77 on: 8 Jun 2015, 10:54 pm »
Hi Flinx99,

Thanks and the set up looks great. The use of the sub really helps out here as the 3i's are out from the wall behind them. The location of the speakers this way will give you a sense of space in the soundstage. 3i's are like microscopes in regards to up-line gear including cables. It's very easy to hear the differences.

Thanks again,
Louis

jimdgoulding

« Reply #78 on: 11 Jun 2015, 03:04 pm »
Jim,
Considering the width of your room, as much percent is the speakers spacing you prefer?
Hi, FRM, MPS:   My listening room is a rectangular 12'X15'.  The centerpoints of my speaker faces are typically 59" apart, 54" off the wall behind them and 42.5" from side walls, and 72" to my ears tho I can and do move my chair frontward or backward a few inches depending on a particular recording to be nearer the stage or further away.  My ears are typically 48" off the wall behind me with open back record cabinets diffusing reflection off this wall.  Perspective is an important asset to the listening experience for me having attended a lot of club and concert hall dates.

How's about your room?  All ya'll.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #79 on: 11 Jun 2015, 03:42 pm »
Thanks Jim for your reply.
My room is small, which seems suited to FR drivers.
If I remember well its 3,15x3,80.
I would like a bigger room w/16m².