Lookin for a tuner ~100

rosconey

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #20 on: 2 Nov 2004, 01:01 am »
99.9 is a good classic rock station from cortland, i listen to them in syracuse :mrgreen:

doug s.

• makin' music
Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #21 on: 2 Nov 2004, 01:05 am »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
Quote from: Beezer
hearing is believing!

My philosophy exactly - I'm just having a hard time with it conceptually.  I'll have to try one out, although I'm not sure about the quality of the stations here in Ithaca.  

Beez

Who cares?  Just dial in 92 WICB...kicks ass!!! :mrgreen:

I know Doug knows his tuner specialty, tough I don't share his overly enthusiastic perspective on quality.  It's a thermodynamic impossibility if your playback equipment is above certain point... :wink:

the fact is, specs on *quality* tuna, properly aligned, are in many cases equal to, if not better than much of the other gear in the playback chain, especially if tubes are inwolved in the other gear.  so, technically speaking, it *is* possible to extract audiophile quality sound from a good tuna, being fed a good signal from a good station.  no thermodynamic impossibility here.  besides, technical gobbledygook aside, i've *heard* it!  actually, w/live broadcasts that some stations do, the sound can be, technically speaking, even *better* than that awailable from winyl or cd.

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #22 on: 2 Nov 2004, 01:07 am »
Quote from: rosconey
99.9 is a good classic rock station from cortland, i listen to them in syracuse :mrgreen:

if it's a commercial rock station, i can almost guarantee you that its sound can be improved a *lot* w/a dbx 3bx in the signal path...

doug s.

Psychicanimal

Lookin for a tuner ~100
« Reply #23 on: 2 Nov 2004, 02:12 am »
Quote from: doug s.
no thermodynamic impossibility here.
doug s.

A good radio station with a broadcast quality transport like the Technics and a great DAC should equal or beat a good home setup.  The same goes for broadcasting using a Technics SP-10 with a Denon 103 and/or EMR deck. In spite of losses, the incoming signal should be better than a lot of systems' source components.

But not so if the receiving system has outstanding source decks and ancillary equipment (like noise control, audio grade cabling)  to start with. :nono:  

That's what I mean by thermodynamic impossibility.