AVA at California Audio Show July 15th thru 17th.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: AVA at California Audio Show July 15th thru 17th.
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:42 pm »
the powers cables were at least 6 inches in diameter, as well as the interconnects!!
6"?   :scratch:

The Wavelength dac  all $3500 was well. nice but its $3500!!!! OMG.
I had the Cosecant V3 and liked it so much I got the Crimson and have never looked back.  Gordon builds amazing stuff imo.

trebejo

« Reply #41 on: 15 Jul 2011, 06:37 pm »
Frank I sat in the Salk room for hours on saturday and many people were surprised at the AVA stuff. One Conrad Johnson fan commented he couldnt believe what he was hearing! Like I said in other posts about the Capital Area show...in most rooms the powers cables were at least 6 inches in diameter, as well as the interconnects!!

When people saw the 12 gauge Parts Connection / Home Depot speaker wire they were well....how can this be look!!! LOL

Oh, that must have been a nice experience all around. Enlightenment is a beautiful thing to behold...   :dance:

The Wavelength dac  all $3500 was well. nice but its $3500!!!! OMG.

Just not in my budget in this century at least..

The show was nice, I spent most of my times listening to Dennis's SS10's and his Philharmonic speakers...really nice as well.

If you get a chance, could you tell us anything more about these speakers? Nice to see a new (?) design from Dennis...

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm »
well...maybe I was over stating the actual diameter of power cables!!!  :D

The point is amazing sound can be had with a lot less cost in high dollar power cords, AC line conditioners yadda, yadda, yadda...in the Salk room the speaker cables and interconnects were well.....affodrable should I say..not meaning to start a flame war about these things, just saying most people that saw Van Alstine gear and home depot speaker cable were amazed!!!

The cost of the SS10's of course is a bit higher!!! But they are so nice.

Dennis speakers have been described already in several places in other circles etc..take a look in the SALK circle..heres a link also:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/index.html

http://www.stereophile.com/content/affordable-philharmonic-speakers

Dennis is raising money for his orchestra thru the sales of these speakers and anyone that knows Dennis he is a wizard in the crossover department etc...both of his speakers played well, Fanfare for common man was awesome...what bass from $2800 and $1600 speakers!!!  I heard both of his speakers and the SS10s for an extended period on time..and it was indeed 'enlightening'....same sources, same rooms, same cables, same gear, both Flacs streamed, cds, and vinyl.

If you cant afford SS10's but want that deep low end response Dennis speakers are a bargain...believe it or not I like the less expensive 1's that only go down to 32hz!!!! These have the less expensive Fountek Neo 3 ribbon tweeter. The treble or highs to me were much hotter and more to my liking...than the more costly RAAL 10D ribbon tweeter.

If your on constrained budget I would take a look at these speaker, they would make most of really happy campers.

The AVA amp and preamp were kind of invisible, they just worked...proving to me that they can make speakers like SS10's play very loud with the most demanding music without a strain...!!!! I am so spoiled now....

So I will crawl back to my man cave and dream as I have to put up with my SongTowers and AVA Insight+ preamp, Ultravalve and Blue Jeans cables and oh yes a new HRT Music Streamer ii USB dac... life is rough!

:D :o 8) :icon_lol: :P :thumb:

trebejo

« Reply #43 on: 16 Jul 2011, 01:08 am »
Thanks for the quick review.

So I will crawl back to my man cave and dream as I have to put up with my SongTowers and AVA Insight+ preamp, Ultravalve and Blue Jeans cables and oh yes a new HRT Music Streamer ii USB dac... life is rough!

:D :o 8) :icon_lol: :P :thumb:

It IS rough, isn't it? I don't know where we find the strength...  :P

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #44 on: 16 Jul 2011, 02:12 am »
Yes it is....forgot to mention a nice new pair of Audeze LCD2's and a DIY amp I just built ...This is why I cant retire!!

I want one of Franks uber dacs....someday.

Alex

Charles Calkins

« Reply #45 on: 16 Jul 2011, 05:16 am »
Alex:
 Got Frank's Avastar preamp. Got Frank's vision Hybrid DAC. Couldn't be more pleased than I am now. I have to wait until Sunday to go to the show. I'll be there early. Who knows might buy his new amp I'm hearing about.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

Listens2tubes

« Reply #46 on: 16 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm »
Pictures? Impressions? :hyper:

martyo

Listens2tubes

« Reply #48 on: 16 Jul 2011, 08:07 pm »
Thanks Marty :thumb:

SJ David

« Reply #49 on: 17 Jul 2011, 12:29 am »
Pictures? Impressions? :hyper:

I was at the show Sat. am and some of the afternoon. I noticed that a rep from Stereophile, The Absolute Sound and Positive Feedback were among the crowd. Not sure about any other media coverage but interesting to see these names in attendance. I was on the elevator with a rep from an amp company and one of the media reps. In response to a question to the amp rep of "what do you think?", the hesitant answer was "a little quiet." I guess that was polite for not-so-much turn out. Maybe so, I don't have a lot of experience with these shows but it does make for a lot more room in the listening rooms. I spent most of my time with Salk/AVA. Partly intentional as a prospective buyer and partly because the sounds were very nice.

The room was (wonderfully) unadorned and limited in terms of equipment presented.  All focus therefore was left to the sound and not spot-lighted bottle amps and massive amp chassis. Two speakers, two amps, DAC and streaming source. Oh, wait, Jim had his laptop and tablet to guide the music streaming. Not sure if this reduced essence of the two-channel audio experience was intended, whether the boys just wanted to travel light, or just a reflection of the men behind the gear. Works for me any which way.

Unlike most here I am not an AVA owner (yet) so I have no stake in the game, no basis for what AVA “sounds” like. I went to their room first and last with a lot of stops in between to get a reference in mind for that later visit. I was surprised to see Frank and Dean in attendance and had a chance to ask some questions personally to Frank and Dean about the hybrid concept. Also got to talk with Jim Salk on his fine designs.  Beautiful sound, wonderful craftsmanship.

In a nutshell the system sound was clear, effortless, and surprisingly dynamic. The SoundScapes are large floor standers but not physically imposing as the Wilsons were downstairs. Yet the sound was full and the low end was there in full measure. The speakers need a good energizer (I guess) and the AVA amp provided all that was needed and more.  I mentioned to Frank and Jim I had was impressed with the clarity without the transient “bite” that often comes with such clarity. The decay did not intrude and cause any kind of overhang or hash. The overall sound did seem affected by the room (just a wee dram) but overall a good full response, no bloat, no glare, no slap.

I thought the MBLs at the show also excelled at clarity combined with substance. The sound in the MBL room was equally impressive in clarity but seemed larger in soundstage. Then again they had a larger room. And needed it to house their huge, massive amplifiers. Impressive equipment but I can’t fathom the cost. The Wilson room was larger still and the seating was distant and centered between very widely spaced speakers.  It was nice to hear such equipment but between the seating arrangements and unimaginable costs I felt the distance in many ways.

So hiked back up to room 426 and settled in again to something more familiar, a lot more comfortable and much more attainable.  Good job Frank and Jim.

PS, the best surprise for me at the show was a setup room-tuner Bob Hodas put together. Focal speakers and VTL amplification with a half inch reel-to-reel as source. Whoa!  Kind of pissed me off when someone pulled out a CD for a demo.  That tape stopped and the fun just kind of fizzled away.

charmerci

« Reply #50 on: 17 Jul 2011, 04:53 pm »
It's nice to see this post from a more neutral person and your observations. Thanks.

advanced101

« Reply #51 on: 17 Jul 2011, 05:58 pm »
Although the 400R is one of the front runners for the amp to power my HT2TLs, I still wish there were more options listed on the site.  The IEC is nice, but I would like to see options for WBT binding posts, dual binding posts for bi-wiring and anodized faceplates/chassis, feet options, ERS cloth, etc.  I also agree that mono-blocks would be a good addition, every brand needs a statement product, something to show the people what they are capable of achieving.  Dodge has the Viper, Crown Whiskey has XR, Salk has the Soundscapes.  That last 5% of performance is worth thousands of dollars to some people.

avahifi

« Reply #52 on: 17 Jul 2011, 06:08 pm »
Since the amp can put out plus and minus 70 volts AC at the speaker terminals (over half of AC line voltage) we simply are not going to supply the amp with exposed metal speaker output terminals.

This would be as irresponsible as providing hot exposed bare AC terminals.  We are not into providing the opportunity for you to electrocute your small pets and children.

If you need more that one set of speaker terminals per channel, simply use Pomona stacking banana plugs on your speaker wires.  There simply is not room for more hardware on the back panel.

The amp is designed to play the music, not to be overpriced eye candy.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

advanced101

« Reply #53 on: 17 Jul 2011, 06:18 pm »
Thank you for the explanation.

trebejo

« Reply #54 on: 17 Jul 2011, 06:51 pm »
The funny thing is that the lack of blinginess is one of the best reasons to go with Frank's stuff in the first place.

The bling side of hifi is pretty darned crowded already. Great hifi at affordable prices with excellent long-term support, alas, that's pretty rare! I was just lucky to find AVA, I guess...

trackball02

« Reply #55 on: 20 Jul 2011, 08:12 pm »
I'm not much into bling, but I find the color scheme on the Ultravalve to be quite nice. Can this ever be an option on the rest of the AVA equipment?

avahifi

« Reply #56 on: 20 Jul 2011, 08:23 pm »
Our local anodizer does the light gold faceplates for us for the Ultravalve no problem.

However trying to get appropriate knobs, pushbuttons, etc. for the rest of our equipment to match a light gold faceplate seems to be impossible. No production quantities of any of the necessary parts are available without special orders and huge minimum quantities.

If anyone can come up with a reliable source for gold pushbuttons, knobs, and switches that we don't have to buy 10,000 at a time, we certainly would be interested.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

trackball02

« Reply #57 on: 21 Jul 2011, 02:25 pm »
I think all of your amps would look great with the gold face plates since they do not have any knobs or buttons. Also, all of your DACS, a single black knob with the gold face plate would not be bad, especially if you use black screws.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #58 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:37 pm »
Save the gold faceplates for your reference line of amps. 8)